thinking of moving to secondary tonight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MediaMikes

Reaction score
Well, as I posted before I broke my hydrometer so I have no scientific way of know when my primary fermentation is complete. However the bubbling has stopped (racked to primary on Feb 21st) and was considering moving it to my secondary carboy so I could start on my Irish Stout.

would this hurt anything and would the clearing still take place. I am planning on leaving my Imperial Cream Ale in the secondary for at least 2 weeks, which in turn would put the Irish Stout in the primary for that same amount of time.

would it hurt to leave the Irish Stout in the primary that long hurt it?

If airlock activity has stopped you're probably fine to go ahead and rack it to secondary.

It sounds like you need more carboys!

All I have right now is a 6.5 plastic primary, 6.5 bottling bucket and a 5 gallan carboy. So I intend to buy a little more each payday.

So with funds as limited as they are I am planning on buying the following tomorrow (payday).

1 6.5 Gallon Primary Fermenter
2 airlocks
1 Irish Stout Kit
1 Rasberry Wheat Kit
1 Hydrometer

That way I will have two in the Primary fermenters at one time and then next payday I will buy the following.

1 6.5 gallon Carboy
1 rubber stopper
1 airlock
4 cases of beer bottles
1 32oz. IO Star Sanitizer

I think that would work, any opinions?:drunk:

Save money and just scrounge beer bottles if possible. If that doesn't work, buy some cheap beer that you can stand to drink that comes in pry-offs and drink that! I think Killians now comes in pry-offs, or you could buy Sam Adams or SNPA. The good part about this is you could host a party, have your buddies chip in for the beer, then keep all the bottles. You get a night of fun, you save money, and you get the bottles!

If you don't have beer drinking buddies see about asking a bar or liquor store if you can have their Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada bottles (or any pry-offs I'm just throwing out common ones) by paying them the deposit (if your state has one). I know that in Michigan at least they return the bottles to the distributor and the distributor marks ten cents for each one off the bill, so there's no practical difference to them if the distrib pays the 10 cents or if I do.

cheapest pry off beer i've found is froogle, at a trader joe's if one is around...going to try and get some people to kill a case tonight so i can bottle tomorrow!

Excellent idea, I am hosting a BBQ on Saturday and can get our drink on then. Oh, trust me, I have tons of drinking buddies. So much that it pisses my GF off to no ends when she knows I'm meeting up with them for happy hour. Our happy hours turn into me walking through the door at 11:30 at night :mug: :tank: :drunk:

Latest posts

Back