thinking about this grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo1977

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a real simple grain bill. I want to use 2 row and molasses. Was thinking of doing a 1 gallon batch to try. I just wonder what the molasses will make the beer taste like? Has any one tried this?

In large amounts molasses adds an irony, mineral flavor. Up to that point it doesn't seem to contribute a whole lot except 100% fermentables.

I used some molasses in an old ale (~3% of the recipe) and I definitely get some rum notes. Molasses is not 100% fermentable - there are a lot of "impurities" in there which can add flavor and aroma. John Palmer in "How to Brew" lists molasses as only 50-70% fermentable.

in other words, not a good idea. i use molasses in some scottish ales, but even then, in combo with other grains. i just cooked up a strong scotch ale last weekend, and for 11 gallons, i used ~9 ounces

in other words, not a good idea. i use molasses in some scottish ales, but even then, in combo with other grains. i just cooked up a strong scotch ale last weekend, and for 11 gallons, i used ~9 ounces

Well, I would say, not to go crazy. If you really wanted to see what malasses does, something like 95-97% 2-row and 3-5% molasses would certainly give you an idea. If it were me though I'd want to add something else to the grain bill - maybe some wheat and/or a small touch of crystal malt or honey malt or even chocolate malt. Just to make it a bit more interesting.

thanks for the idea. I was looking for some thing to play with while the snow was flying. I was thinking about 3lbs 2 row with a 1/4 lb molasses 1/8 lb chocolate malt and one hop addition at 30 mins.

Back