Thinking about brewing while at work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
For those of you who have non-brewing related jobs, how much do you think about brewing at work?

I get a mid-day break of a few hours between my bus routes. There have been a couple of quick trips to the brew shop to pick up grain, hops, and yeast before getting back. Lucky for me there's an empty refrigerator in the employee break area to hide my stuff from the summer heat.
Typical day is 6AM-9:30, break time, then 1PM-4:30. I get to go home and sleep in my own bed and it beats the hell out of getting shot at, rocketed and mortared.
No need to run anywhere but to the refrigerator or the bathroom - so I don't. Some days, I never thought I'd see 50. Now, it's Zen most days and the few neurons left unstressed are on cruise control or tapping the air brakes.
I like it that way. Sam got his 26 years, now is MY time.

when i use to work,it was always at back of my mind what i was going to brew next.even pop into lhbs to get anything i needed for brew day..i would pop online and check sites for what's latest..when i did retire after 26 years the place i worked for presented me with a MK1 grainfather.

It kind of depends on a lot of things. How busy am I? Do I have a recipe that I'm planning to brew soon that is new? Do I have some new equipment coming to me in the mail? I spent about an hour and a half today creating a spreadsheet for my brew schedule for the next 3 months. So, yeah.

Sometimes an idea will hit me while working, and I'll quickly jot it down to pursue later. I check HBT from time to time at work, especially if things get a little slow in the office.

And my LHBS is very close to where I get off the bus, so a stop on the way home from work is usually in order.

I have several issues of byo and zymergy on my desk and check this site several times a day

I don't have any room to brew at work, so I have never thought about brewing at work.

....oh, I get it, thinking about brewing, not actually brewing at work. All the time.

Amazed that it took 8 posts for this. It was my first though when reading the headline.

I can't brew at work it would get me fired!

I'm a carpenter and have access to over ordered material all the time. I've been eyeing up the electricians extra stranded wire for another control panel, I bet I could get it all for a couple home brews. Also we are installing some frp and I already have my scrap pieces picked out for around my brewery sink. I look for stuff to improve my brewery all the time.

I'm a UPSer so I listen to the BN all day lately, beersmith PC, and I'm going to start the brulosophy PC as well. I think often about recipes or ideas I have for future ones. I ran out of sour hours to listen to so now I'm listening to random sessions, Dr homebrew and brewstrongs.

A bunch lately-- it helps to think about other topics throughout the day. The mental equivalent of getting up from my desk and walking around.

^This. I use it a s a mental break. I think about recipes, what's in my fermenters, hop and grain combos for smashes, you name it. I keep a notepad at my work station and take down notes as I think of them. I've planed most of my brews this way. :p

I started brewing in September. Since then it's been kind of an obsession. During free time at work I sign on to this forum and research. Or Craigslist to see if any good deals on brew supplies pop up. It's a lot better than staring out the window wishing the time away.

I usually check HBT once in the morning and again in the afternoon when I need a break. I'll also read articles and work on my brewing spreadsheet when things are a bit slower. It probably helps that my boss is also my drinking buddy and I make sure to bring samples in every time I brew:D

I'm in Equipment Maintenance, so the only time I'm not thinking about brewing is when something has broken down and I have to figure out why and how to fix it.

I'm in Equipment Maintenance, so the only time I'm not thinking about brewing is when something has broken down and I have to figure out why and how to fix it.

Wait.. Are you suggesting that beer can't fix everything? :)

It's pretty much what gets me through the day. Luckily, within my little cube area, I have a number of homebrewers who love to take a pause and talk brewing and beer. HBT is usually the first thing I check after my email...this post is my first keyboard strokes at work.

All the time, and I work from home which makes it tough to actually work sometimes. Love reading the newest forum threads, but I wish they were an rss feed/auto scrolling so I wouldn't have to refresh 1000 times a day.

Back