Think I have my first infection...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swannyson7

Reaction score
Today I went to move my Midwest ferocious IPA to secondary for dry hopping and came accross a bubbly mess on the surface. It's been in primary for 8 days and I suspect that it's an infection, but was wondering if the krausen on an IPA might do this due to the amount of hops? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ForumRunner_20120824_083540.jpg

ForumRunner_20120824_083609.jpg

it looks like healthy fermentation to me man. let it go for a while longer and you should see that the krausen has dropped down and the beer will clear up. let it go another week atleast!

I have seen some real alien looking krausen before on my beers, stuff so thick the air bubbles make craters when they pop on the surface. You could drop a penny in the carboy and it would stick on top! All of this clears up when given enough time!

Glad to hear! Thanks for the replies. This was my first IPA and I never came across this before, so I was a bit concerned.

That looks fine to me. Krausen can look pretty funky in it's life cycle. I wouldn't sweat it.

I have a thick krausen crust on my Centennial Blonde right now that looks worse than that. It looks healthy to me. Let it ride

Back