Things that remind you that you're getting old...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had a vehicle with remote unlock, and 3 weeks ago I got my first smart phone. My back hurts often, and my right knee clicks when going up stairs. I see kids these days and just shake my head.... I'm 24. I'm too old for my age.

when i hear stuff like this. you could be my kid, agewise

know the feeling. saw this the other day
tumblr_lx54othdIK1qi7w67o1_500.jpg

started to laugh, then i realized what the connection was between the connection of these two objects and me.

sigh.

b

this is cruel... when i started programming, we recorded our programs on these

One of my employees asked me to call in a maintenance ticket for the computer at the other end of the line. I asked him what was wrong with it and he told me the color on the screen was all messed up, it only had green.

I then had to explain that computer monitors were not always full color. They were called MONOchrome for a reason = One color. It blew his little mind when I told him some were orange called tiger tubes, and that one was called a green screen.

I still run leaded gas in my 57 Cushman Scooter. Only its like $7.00/gal now. Of course it is 110/130 LL so I guess I am getting a little extra bank for my $7.00.

Unleaded gas was called WHITE GAS. We used it for the Coleman stoves and lanterns. If I remember right it was 38 cents a gal as opposed to 27 cents a gal for regular leaded.

I run unleaded im my 57 MKII, after research I found that todays unleaded doesn't hurt the Old engines

In some circles Vinyl is making a comeback. Pearl Jam for example always releases vinyl albums.

Yes but that's how I know I am old. When Pearl Jam hits the "classic rock" number of years. Still love them though along with the rest of the Seattle Rock movement bands.

You had a choice between regular and ethyl. Ethyl was high test. It was cheap. The attendant would ask my dad what he needed and Dad would say, "Five regular", and then they guy would ask, "Dollars, or gallons". The tank had to be pretty empty to hold five dollar's worth. Then unleaded came in and you had to choose; they fazed out the leaded regular and ethyl. Early on the unleaded would not work on some older engines, later they adopted other additives which made it acceptable for any normal duty engine.

Yeah,I had to quit usin that likker anymore. It ate up the carbs & stunk up the floor. But there won't be a dragster quicker when I fill'er up on drinkin likker! Remember this one?...

I remember distinctly that I told myself I would never buy another quart of beer when I saw they had gone up to a dollar a quart......................I lied.

This morning, while at my monthly "tune-up" at the chiropractor, I was listening to the Beatles singing "Hey, Jude." And I remembered that the song was very popular when I was in graduate school. And then I remembered that I was in graduate school FORTY years ago. And the song was quite a bit older than the woman who was massaging my spine!

glenn514:mug:

With the exception of Willis, the core cast of Diff'rent Strokes is dead.

Going through a bunch of old stuff my son came across an old rotor for the TV. I had to explain to him how we had a tower and had to point the TV antenna towards the town that broadcasted the signal. How it lit up and went click click for every degree it changed direction.
He thought it was crazy how we only got 3 channels except on Sunday when we could pick up channel 2 and watch Tarzan.

everybody Friday morning before school my parents gave me $1.25. I was able to buy 2 hot dogs and a little carton of milk

Wow. I tend to avoid most news as it is usually depressing (ignorance IS bliss). I may need to actually open my wifes National Enquirer once in a while. The Economist doesn't cover that type of news.

Yeah it was '09. I remember flipping through the channels and seeing Cher. I figured I had a chance to make fun of something dumb Cher was saying, and she tearfully tells the camera that she lost Michael Jackson and Farrah on the same day. That's how I found out. To go that young, and from that, what a terrible shame.

I'm reminded of the aging process every time I go up the stairs & hear my knees making crunching noises.
I was watching a Three Stooges DVD the other day & had to explain to my 5 yo. niece that the TV wasn't broken, it was supposed to be in B&W. I don't think she believed me.

I still wonder why nobody plays backgammon anymore. I still miss my 70's hiking boots. Every once in a while something will spur a memory of something like 37 cents a gallon for gasoline, or 25 cents for a loaf of bread, watching the 1st moon landing live, TV shows that had "IN COLOR" at the bottom of the screen so that if you were still watching a B&W TV you knew you were missing out.

And mince pie. Used to be called "mincemeat" pie, but nobody puts meat in it anymore, so now it's just "mince" pie. I'm thinking this is a generational thing more than a regional thing because just about everybody under the age of 40 hates it. Doesn't seem to matter if they're from MT, FL, or CA, they hate it. I can remember it wasn't my fav as a kid, but it was still good. Most people these days never even heard of it.
OK, I'm done. Time for my Geritol & Milk of Magnesia. :D
Regards, GF.

Another thing that makes me feel old...I wished a former student a happy birthday the other day. She was FIFTY-FOUR YEARS OLD , for cryin' out loud! My mind had a hard time with that one!

glenn514:mug:

And I'm watchin the latest episode on Hawaii Five-0 and there's this old bald guy playing a perverted killer......and I'm thinkin he looks familiar.....who is that? Oh crap it's RoboCop and he looks like he needs the surgery for real. Peter Weller looking about a million years old..........like me :(.

On the mince pies I just have to throw in this cultural tidbit. My family is from Scotland-right off the boat as they say. Anyway we had mince pie at Christmas made with raisins and currents and candied orange rind, not my favorite either but they also made these small pies more like a large deep tart and filled with minced beef or pork in a rich thick gravy with a few carrots and peas diced small included. YUM!

I'm reminded of the aging process every time I go up the stairs & hear my knees making crunching noises.
I was watching a Three Stooges DVD the other day & had to explain to my 5 yo. niece that the TV wasn't broken, it was supposed to be in B&W. I don't think she believed me.

I still wonder why nobody plays backgammon anymore. I still miss my 70's hiking boots. Every once in a while something will spur a memory of something like 37 cents a gallon for gasoline, or 25 cents for a loaf of bread, watching the 1st moon landing live, TV shows that had "IN COLOR" at the bottom of the screen so that if you were still watching a B&W TV you knew you were missing out.

And mince pie. Used to be called "mincemeat" pie, but nobody puts meat in it anymore, so now it's just "mince" pie. I'm thinking this is a generational thing more than a regional thing because just about everybody under the age of 40 hates it. Doesn't seem to matter if they're from MT, FL, or CA, they hate it. I can remember it wasn't my fav as a kid, but it was still good. Most people these days never even heard of it.
OK, I'm done. Time for my Geritol & Milk of Magnesia. :D
Regards, GF.

Y'know where I see a lot of backgammon played, in the Egyptian part of town. Guys will sit around drinking tea and smoking shisha and playing backgammon for hours while solving the world's problems in Arabic.

And speaking to the idea that no one puts meat in the pie anymore... I was rather stunned to find out that most foods prepared during the Middle Ages in Europe used sugar. Everything from meat pies to stews to even pasta and fish had sugar in it! These people must have been making booze IN THEIR BODIES!

When I go to the grocery store and see the sign that reads "If you were born after today's date in 1995 you can not purchase tobacco.

This and the 4 gray hairs that I recently discovered.

My neighbor made me feel old last night. I mentioned that I was going to print a flyer up for a jacket I am selling he told me " you don't need to do that just tabs a picture of it with your Polaroid and write your info on the bottom". He looked like a kid who just found out there is no Easter bunny and Santa when I replied they quit making Polaroid film almost a decade ago. To who which he replies "what are people like me who still have Polaroid cameras supposed to do?" I said obviously you don't use it much so don't worry about it.

Back