Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who ask questions on topics for which they have already made up their minds. Then they get mad and/or argumentative when the other person's response isn't the one they wanted to hear. They are just looking for a concurring opinion and a sympathetic ear. They don't always get one.

What's the tactful way to say, "Dude, you park like an *******?"

4258.jpg

We have a guy at work who drives a full size pickup. Quite a few people here do, actually, including myself. Everybody, except this one guy, knows how to park it within the confines of a single parking spot. I have never seen this guy take up less than 2. This is not an exaggeration. Every time. Today he parked directly in the middle of 2, with the back end hanging 1/4 into 2 other spots. What's the tactful way to say, "Dude, you park like an *******?"

Edit : He's also the type who has no need for a full size pickup. Myself, I do a lot of woodworking and routinely haul 12+ ft boards of hardwood, or multiple sheets of plywood. Other people here hunt, farm, etc. This guy is a 60 year old loafer.

Print up a "Sh*tty Parking" Award and place it on his car. Have a threat on it saying next time it will be on adhesive paper. And the time after that it will be stuck to the paint and not the windshield.

A quick GIS of "funny parking notices" will give you lots to choose from. Find one you like, download and print a bunch to keep in your glove compartment. Next time Mr. MyTruckIsBetterThanAllTheRestAndDeserves4Spaces parks like an a$$hole, slap one on his windshield. Be sure to stick around to watch the hilarity ensue when he reads it.

Alternatively, you said a bunch of you drive trucks. I bet at least a few of you have tow straps and/or chains.

Move his truck.

Or, slightly more passive-aggressive, get a couple guys to park so close on either side of him that he physically can't get in his truck. And then send those guys on a road trip.

A small pebble or bb inside the valve stem cap works well. It releases the air slowly so down the road, maybe the next stop or next morning it will be flat. usually when they go to fill it up they won't notice the pebble drop out.

Most annoying thing about my coworker at the moment is that they are getting away with charging twice as much as everyone else on the same project. Same setup, same driving distance, same sample collection, same issues and she always comes back with twice as much time as the rest of us.

Time for a career move.

And back to the topic.... People that abuse speakerphone. We just remodeled our office, and it's now an open floor plan. Four people actually have doors on their offices, another 5 have doorless offices, and then the rest of us are in cubicle land in the middle (with actuall steel-stud, sheetrocked cubicle walls instead of the typical movable cube walls). Because of this, from my desk I can overhear damn near EVERYTHING that goes on in the office. Now, I get that you sometimes need to take a call on speakerphone because you need hands free to look at plans, or because you've got another person in the room with you that needs to be involved in the call. But if you answer a call via speakerphone just because you're too lazy to hold onto the phone, I'm going to punch you in the teeth. The guy whose office is closest to me was TERRIBLE at it -- and then he felt like he had to drive-through yell at the phone. Drives me friggin' crazy.

And back to the topic.... People that abuse speakerphone. We just remodeled our office, and it's now an open floor plan. Four people actually have doors on their offices, another 5 have doorless offices, and then the rest of us are in cubicle land in the middle (with actuall steel-stud, sheetrocked cubicle walls instead of the typical movable cube walls). Because of this, from my desk I can overhear damn near EVERYTHING that goes on in the office. Now, I get that you sometimes need to take a call on speakerphone because you need hands free to look at plans, or because you've got another person in the room with you that needs to be involved in the call. But if you answer a call via speakerphone just because you're too lazy to hold onto the phone, I'm going to punch you in the teeth. The guy whose office is closest to me was TERRIBLE at it -- and then he felt like he had to drive-through yell at the phone. Drives me friggin' crazy.

You guys don't have these? They are expensive, but amazing.

GN-Netcom-GN9330e-Wireless-Headset-img3.jpg

guy across from me is hawking his snot up his nose loudly rather then getting a tissue.

I work at home but once a week I go to the boss' house to work there. his wife also works from home at a desk right next to me and she does this all the time. gak

plus, she talks on the phone so loud I'm convinced she's unaware that the phone allows the other person to hear her without direct sound waves

People who shut a conference room door at the first sign of any outside noise.
People who start a meeting in a conference room without shutting the door to begin with.

Goes along with my "people who insist on using speakerphone in an open-plan office". The rest of us don't need your conversation disrupting our work.

One coworker in particular smells pretty offensive, naturally I guess. Then she uses a slightly less offensive perfume to "mask" it. The mix is overwhelming and can be smelled a long way down the hall. When the issue was addressed, she pulled race. Now, we just have to bear it.

The other is the "I've done that" girl. She's not a one-upper, per se, but she has tried/done/seen/smelled/watched/touched everything. And she joins any and all conversations to contribute her anecdotes.

One coworker in particular smells pretty offensive, naturally I guess. Then she uses a slightly less offensive perfume to "mask" it. The mix is overwhelming and can be smelled a long way down the hall. When the issue was addressed, she pulled race. Now, we just have to bear it.

The other is the "I've done that" girl. She's not a one-upper, per se, but she has tried/done/seen/smelled/watched/touched everything. And she joins any and all conversations to contribute her anecdotes.

Throw unnecessary users of the race card in the book.

ColoHox said:

We call those Topper McGees. Because they top everything everyone has done. The best thing to do is screw with them come up with something super outlandish and watch them try to top it and quietly laugh to yourself.

I currently work in the building construction industry. Its the most cut-throat business I've ever been a part of. Every single person it out to make their lives easier, at any cost, not least of which is the detriment of other peoples lives. Lying, corruption, scamming, & verbal abuse run rampant throughout all levels of the construction industry. I never cease to be amazed.

People in my office refuse to work as a team. They refuse to communicate, pass information along, or give help where help is needed. I suppose this is down to poor management, but its really a trend within the industry.

I suppose I could start an entirely separate thread about the construction industry, so i'll stop here.

Well a lot of my co-workers bug the hell out ouf me just by "being", but I can bet that I'm no joy to be seated near. I play drums on my desk/muose/keyboard/coffee cup while waiting for the computer to respond, like opening large drawing files, etc. I cuss like crazy even though the office policy is to be "professional" or some such bull sh*t, and can be in a generally pissed off mood most times, so I pretty much suck as a co-worker.

We call those Topper McGees. Because they top everything everyone has done. The best thing to do is screw with them come up with something super outlandish and watch them try to top it and quietly laugh to yourself.

I like to call this "shoe boxing" after a Monty Python sketch

Last edited by a moderator:
ColoHox said:

We have a chick like that in the office. She smells like a can of tuna that was left out in the sun for a few days with a hint of lavender.

We have a chick like that in the office. She smells like a can of tuna that was left out in the sun for a few days with a hint of lavender.
We used to have a gal working for us that was a pack-a-day smoker. Everything she owned smelled like smoke - her car, her clothes, her coat, HER. And of course, we all know that smoking decreases your sense of smell. So she'd get ready for work every morning and put perfume on to where SHE could smell it. The combination of smoke and whatever scent she wore was enough to bring tears to your eyes.

One of the most celebrated days in the office was the day she quit smoking and regained her sense of smell, and went back to a 'normal' application of perfume instead of using a high-pressure hose.

Here's a question that I hope won't be considered too off topic.

For those amongst us in a management/senior management position, what obligation do we have to our employees, clients, and customers to address the issues and behaviors that we've seen mentioned in this post?

I'm not talking about the person who occasionally talks too loud, but the one whose personal grooming or interpersonal skills are such that they negatively impact the productivity of the department or the bottom line.

A brief example:

I work with a woman in her mid sixties. she's in very good physical condition for a person her age, but she insists on wearing miniskirts, always, every day. Today, she came in wearing a button up shirt and slacks and I was struck by how much more professional she looked. I was torn between offending her and trying to let her know how much more appropriate her outfit was. I said nothing.

I know the current philosophy is to avoid any kind of confrontation, but I'm convinced that this does no one any good.

This thread reminded me of the Curb episode, The Bare Midriff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to call this "shoe boxing" after a Monty Python sketch

Four Yorkshiremen

we've got a few "shoe boxers" at our shop. the one that's been annoying me lately is this guy that always has to tell us the he's "never had a drop of alcohol" in his life and that he doesn't "need alcohol to have a good time". the last time he went off on his arrogant tangent, I replied with "Well, happy go flocc yourself!"

we've got a few "shoe boxers" at our shop. the one that's been annoying me lately is this guy that always has to tell us the he's "never had a drop of alcohol" in his life and that he doesn't "need alcohol to have a good time". the last time he went off on his arrogant tangent, I replied with "Well, happy go flocc yourself!"

But if he has never had alcohol how does he know what he thinks is a "good time" is actually not a crappy time that alcohol could of made better but because he has never tried he doesn't know that his good time is everyone else's crappy time :drunk:

Rhumbline said:
Here's a question that I hope won't be considered too off topic. For those amongst us in a management/senior management position, what obligation do we have to our employees, clients, and customers to address the issues and behaviors that we've seen mentioned in this post? I'm not talking about the person who occasionally talks too loud, but the one whose personal grooming or interpersonal skills are such that they negatively impact the productivity of the department or the bottom line. A brief example: I work with a woman in her mid sixties. she's in very good physical condition for a person her age, but she insists on wearing miniskirts, always, every day. Today, she came in wearing a button up shirt and slacks and I was struck by how much more professional she looked. I was torn between offending her and trying to let her know how much more appropriate her outfit was. I said nothing. I know the current philosophy is to avoid any kind of confrontation, but I'm convinced that this does no one any good.

It's instances like this that I miss the military. We had what we called "stinky kids". You know the ones that don't shower. They would get called in the office and told " take a god damn shower" and all was fixed. However with a female dressing inappropriate we would have still been screwed to tell her. We had a female in my shop the wore her under shirt about 3 sizes too small and she had pretty big tits. Senior management tried to tell her it was inappropriate and she called MEO ( military equal opportunity) they had to go to sensitivity training and she continued her behavior. So long story short you're screwed and so nothing.

It's instances like this that I miss the military....

It was so much simpler as a Marine Platoon Sgt. It never even crossed my mind that someone would get all weepy on me about being called out.

There were even some very rare times when, under extreme circumstances, I turned a blind eye towards some "negative reinforcement" that, as a last resort, I was convinced was absolutely necessary to achieve a greater good after all else failed. I stress that in ten years there might have been two occasions where this was needed and it was done under tightly controlled circumstances.

I could always rely on the fact that I could speak freely to my subordinates and they, in turn, felt comfortable pointing out when I was out of line.

[QUOTE="Rhumbline;5569989"

I could always rely on the fact that I could speak freely to my subordinates and they, in turn, felt comfortable pointing out when I was out of line.[/QUOTE]

As it should be everywhere.

Thanks for your service

For those amongst us in a management/senior management position, what obligation do we have to our employees, clients, and customers to address the issues and behaviors that we've seen mentioned in this post?

I'm not talking about the person who occasionally talks too loud, but the one whose personal grooming or interpersonal skills are such that they negatively impact the productivity of the department or the bottom line.

A brief example:

I work with a woman in her mid sixties. she's in very good physical condition for a person her age, but she insists on wearing miniskirts, always, every day. Today, she came in wearing a button up shirt and slacks and I was struck by how much more professional she looked. I was torn between offending her and trying to let her know how much more appropriate her outfit was. I said nothing.

I know the current philosophy is to avoid any kind of confrontation, but I'm convinced that this does no one any good.

The current philosophy is not to get sued and some places have female managers deal with female dress issues.

Talk with who you report to and see if she is dressing appropriate and with in the companys dress code. I have been debating on putting pictures of acceptable dress in our emoloyee hand books to make the issue easier and clearer to deal with.

If what she wares would be acceptable for a gal in her 30's working in the office then you can't say much.

Dress code problems can be the hardest to deal with and needs to be done company wide so no one can claim unfair treatment.

Real problem is some girls never learned the 'if you don't have it don't flaunt it'. Flaunting it in the workplace is never appropriate. Perhaps I've been working in corporate conservative way too long.

I have to lock up my stapler and office supplies when I am not in eye contact of them. Yeah I bought them with my own money. You ain't borrowing them. Grrrrrr!!!

A brief example:

That is a job for HR. Specifically a female HR person. And then it is probably best approached with the positive reinforcement on the moreappropriate outfits so that eventually she gets the hint. At least I think that is how women work. Every time I think I have them figured out they change the rules on me.

At a previous job, the assistant to the CEO was this lady in her 50s who was highly remeniscent of Peg Bundy from Married with Children (in dress and intelligence level, thankfully not in voice). I think everyone just winced and ignored it until she got herself let go for other reasons.

That is a job for HR. Specifically a female HR person. And then it is probably best approached with the positive reinforcement on the moreappropriate outfits so that eventually she gets the hint. At least I think that is how women work. Every time I think I have them figured out they change the rules on me.

And even when HR addresses the issue, it's usually directed as a general re-iteration of policy to all employees, rather than a one-on-one discussion with the person in question. Usually handled with some memo to the effect of, "we would like to remind all employees about our company dress code..."

Not sure I mentioned this before. I get in before, take a shorter lunch and leave after my supervisor every day. Not sure how he get 40 hrs in a week but he has been doing that ever since he had kids. Our management is so absent they have never noticed. Another coworker is here 8 hrs period. She charges her lunch break every day.

Latest posts

Back