Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The people you work with that love to try to involve you in their drama with a bunch of people you don't even know. Those are fun.

:(

While we're on bathroom hygiene... does anyone else have "nesters" in the office?

I don't mind you building that layer of TP to snuggle your ass into, but push that nonsense into the bowl when you're done. The seat is non absorbent. That paper is not. I don't want to touch something that has sucked up your ass sweat, piss dribbles, and diarrhea blowback for the past 10-15 minutes, thank you very much.

I want to kill whoever invented the "reply to all" button.
I'm actually willing risk life in prison to accomplish this, although I'm pretty sure my chances of a jury understanding why I did it are pretty decent.

I want to kill whoever invented the "reply to all" button.
I'm actually willing risk life in prison to accomplish this, although I'm pretty sure my chances of a jury understanding why I did it are pretty decent.

I want to kill whoever does not use the reply all button when I specifically put people on there to hold them accountable for their stupid actions. I then have to put everyone back on the email when they reply with some stupid excuse, thinking I'm not going to nail them to the cross.

Suffer.

While we're on bathroom hygiene... does anyone else have "nesters" in the office?

I don't mind you building that layer of TP to snuggle your ass into, but push that nonsense into the bowl when you're done. The seat is non absorbent. That paper is not. I don't want to touch something that has sucked up your ass sweat, piss dribbles, and diarrhea blowback for the past 10-15 minutes, thank you very much.

We have those tissue paper seat cover things, but there's one person in the entire building that uses them.

Well, one guy at least. I haven't spent enough time in the ladies' room to get an adequate sample group. :cross:

3 days is what my office mate has spent talking on the phone to insurance companies. Getting quotes, discussing liability, fees and what ever else.
Now most people when they make a personal call, use their cell and go into the hallway.
Not this one. This office person sits at the desk and talks loudly so we can all hear personal details and his/her knowledge of topics we don't care.

Sad part is management will do nothing.
So I just continue busting my tail, (when not on HBT) to get my work down.
Other sad part is that switching insurance carriers is the most excitement this person has had in the last year!!!!

I want to kill whoever does not use the reply all button when I specifically put people on there to hold them accountable for their stupid actions. I then have to put everyone back on the email when they reply with some stupid excuse, thinking I'm not going to nail them to the cross.

Suffer.

Unfortunately, abuse, overuse, and just plain annoying use of the reply to all button far exceeds the amount of time its used appropriately.

This mornings example:
Company wide email from boss man- "we will be off July 3rd, since the 4th is on a Saturday".
Sally from purchasing (replying to 30 people) - "Yay! I'm going to have a cookout"
Steve from HR (replying to 30 people) - "Am I invited?"
Sally (replying to 30 people) - "Only if you bring pasta salad"

This went on for no less than 10 additional responses, including another employee who chimed in on Sally's cookout plans.

Additionally, there was one employee who is an utter failure at email, who replied to all on the garbage email string with an off topic work related question about a new software update on the accounting system. :smack:

I actually have started addressing the emails that will spawn reply to alls using the BCC field. That way even if they reply to all it only goes back to me. Should be company policy where not everybody NEEDS responses. As for communal information emails where responses matter, the worst are the "Thx" replies to everyone

I worked for the Army Corps of Engineers several years ago. They had a story of reply-all fail of near-legendary proportions that happened a couple years before I started.

There was an official memo sent out to the organization about something relatively innocuous, and some oblivious employee responded with a reply-all to ask a question...to the entire Army Corps of Engineers. GLOBALLY.

Compounding the stupid, instead of just ignoring the reply, people started responding to it (again in reply-all mode) saying "hey jackwad, quit emailing me." Things spiraled out of control from there for about the next hour, as people emailed complete strangers halfway around the world about reply-all etiquette. Eventually, a high-ranking official (who was sick of seeing his inbox bombarded with bickering and jokes) stepped in and pretty much ordered everyone to cease and desist.

The best responses were compiled and saved, usually to be shared as a cautionary tale for new employees. I wish I still had it. :(

A couple of qualifiers, and then a pretty sad story:

My company is owned, in full, by an oil company. The president of said oil company is my company president's father. He's a complete and total dyed in the wool TX conservative. My president prefers to keep his politics close to the vest, his father wants everyone to know where he stands.

Senior purchased a book, the name and author I can't recall, but it was a complete takedown of Obama and his policies, for every single employee of every single arm of his holdings. 150 here, 150 at the railroad he owns, probably 100 at the oil compant. A bunch of books. Junior sent an e-mail out to our company, informing us that the books were available in HR for evryone that wished to have a copy. A young lady, who had been here for a long time, replied to all on that e-mail informing him of her wished to bw left out of his racist propaganda peddling. Audible gasps throughout the building. An ultimatum to apologize publicly, or be terminated. She left. It sucked.

I actually have started addressing the emails that will spawn reply to alls using the BCC field. That way even if they reply to all it only goes back to me. Should be company policy where not everybody NEEDS responses. As for communal information emails where responses matter, the worst are the "Thx" replies to everyone

The BCC field is a fantastic tool that has been compromised at my workplace by our less than stellar IT team. For some reason, our email is set up so you have to have at least 1 recipient in the "To" field, and it cant be yourself. Since, with one click, you can add the entire company to a field, it always ends up being the main recipient field.

Every year, we get to find out what employees have gained weight or fancy themselves a shirt size smaller than they need to be wearing. We compete in a softball tournament. Our team captain sends out an email to 15 or so employees asking to let him know what shirt size to order for you. Of course more than half of them reply to all with their shirt size. wtf.

My company is owned, in full, by an oil company. The president of said oil company is my company president's father. He's a complete and total dyed in the wool TX conservative. My president prefers to keep his politics close to the vest, his father wants everyone to know where he stands.

Senior purchased a book, the name and author I can't recall, but it was a complete takedown of Obama and his policies, for every single employee of every single arm of his holdings. 150 here, 150 at the railroad he owns, probably 100 at the oil compant. A bunch of books. Junior sent an e-mail out to our company, informing us that the books were available in HR for evryone that wished to have a copy. A young lady, who had been here for a long time, replied to all on that e-mail informing him of her wished to bw left out of his racist propaganda peddling. Audible gasps throughout the building. An ultimatum to apologize publicly, or be terminated. She left. It sucked.

not the company I work for, but the one the BigHair works for is owned by same type of guy, always forwarding whatever emails he wants to entire company, no one calls him on it.

I mostly agree with his politics, but see no reason to subject an unwilling audience to it

The BCC field is a fantastic tool that has been compromised at my workplace by our less than stellar IT team. For some reason, our email is set up so you have to have at least 1 recipient in the "To" field, and it cant be yourself. Since, with one click, you can add the entire company to a field, it always ends up being the main recipient field.

Every year, we get to find out what employees have gained weight or fancy themselves a shirt size smaller than they need to be wearing. We compete in a softball tournament. Our team captain sends out an email to 15 or so employees asking to let him know what shirt size to order for you. Of course more than half of them reply to all with their shirt size. wtf.

Just a thought. Will a [email protected] type of filler address work?

I think that issue is due to the default form in outlook. if you google "disable reply to all" you can make your own email form where you can disable things such as reply all, reply, and even forward. Fun times. At least that way you can fix it in house for your emails.

Otherwise, try bribing your IT dept with cookies or brownies or some sort of sweets and maybe they will decide to prioritize that. Reply to all mess is not fun for anyone

One of the few times I'm glad I work for the government. That "director" (I think that's the equivalent) would have been canned immediately.

Although, my boss' boss' boss' boss is literally a politician, so there's that.

I'm not an IT guy so I don't know the technicals but a hospital I used to work at had the network taken out by a bunch of reply to alls. Somebody sent an email to the entire directory and that spawned dozens of reply to all messages basically saying "don't use reply all for this stuff."

Everyone at my work who is in a management position is a blithering idiot, I believe this is a result of the "Peter principle" in action, the boss was a great writer, sh!tty arse service manager... Promote to the level of incompetence, that's our model

I'm not an IT guy so I don't know the technicals but a hospital I used to work at had the network taken out by a bunch of reply to alls. Somebody sent an email to the entire directory and that spawned dozens of reply to all messages basically saying "don't use reply all for this stuff."

Fire the Person who sent the first reply to all, cite network failure, failure to grasp English comprehension, and lack of basic computer skills, the rest will never hit "reply to all" ever again.

Fire the Person who sent the first reply to all, cite network failure, failure to grasp English comprehension, and lack of basic computer skills, the rest will never hit "reply to all" ever again.

I'm sure heads rolled. I'm way down the sh!tstack, so all I know is my jobs list got shredded in the process.

I walked into the bathroom at work the other day and walked up to the open urinal. the guy next to me starts talking to me (while I'm midstream) about Bruce/Caitlin Jenner. brofluff, I'M TAKING A FLOCCIN' LEAK!!!! first off, don't talk to me. second, don't floccin talk to me!!! martha floccer liked to swallow his teeth. I kinda need my job though.

Here is a prime example. And yes, it may be overly technical so I will translate at the end.

A group of our email guys found 8:30 am to be a good time to move a mailstore containing almost 400 mailboxes to a different server. I have spent the past almost hour telling people to grab a cup of coffee and be patient with us and email will work again. Eventually.

TG;DR(Too Geeky; Didnt Read) - Broke email for almost 400 people at a time when everybody is first logging in.

Here is a prime example. And yes, it may be overly technical so I will translate at the end.

A group of our email guys found 8:30 am to be a good time to move a mailstore containing almost 400 mailboxes to a different server. I have spent the past almost hour telling people to grab a cup of coffee and be patient with us and email will work again. Eventually.

TG;DR(Too Geeky; Didnt Read) - Broke email for almost 400 people at a time when everybody is first logging in.

Our Mail server decided to become a bit bitchy after all the other servers got a nice upgrade to server 2012... mail server is still working well on server 2008... and has decidedly crashed about once a day this week. Luckily for our IT team it is the summer here and most workers are on their summer vacations.

Biggest thing that annoys me is we set up this ebay style section that you could sign up for internally to sell or get offers from other people selling items. Some people abuse the system selling nearly everything... Best was a half used roll of paper towels for $1... And yes... We all got the "sold" emails when each and every small item sold... The user usually posted about 10-20 at a time.

Our Mail server decided to become a bit bitchy after all the other servers got a nice upgrade to server 2012... mail server is still working well on server 2008... and has decidedly crashed about once a day this week. Luckily for our IT team it is the summer here and most workers are on their summer vacations.

Biggest thing that annoys me is we set up this ebay style section that you could sign up for internally to sell or get offers from other people selling items. Some people abuse the system selling nearly everything... Best was a half used roll of paper towels for $1... And yes... We all got the "sold" emails when each and every small item sold... The user usually posted about 10-20 at a time.

Hahahaha, I would have a heyday with that.

"Full pack of post-its, unopened, $0.75"

"Swingline Stapler, Red, like-new condition, $5.00"

"Pilot G-2 Gel pen, half full, refillable, $1.00 (refills available for $0.25/ea)"

"Handsome Year 2015 calendar of old trucks, 1/2 off. $4.00"

"Paper clips of many colors, bundles of 12, $0.50 (colors may vary)."

"Pilot G-2 Gel pen, half full, refillable, $1.00 (refills available for $0.25/ea)"

just be sure to attach a photo of each item to ensure that you fill up everyones mailbox space limit faster! (Yes, person was guilty of this too)

This is something your work offers as a way for employees to sell their personal items?

This is something your work offers as a way for employees to sell their personal items?

Yup. Was provided as a way to allow people to continue selling things to the other people at work. While making it a separate email that users can opt into if they want. So those who really don't want the spam don't have to get the emails.

I love the G2 pens. Nearly everything I've written at work for many years was with a G2. If I didn't have my pen for some reason, I'd run out to the store before writing a thing.

And I work with just such a fella.

Not to mention someone else here decided it was a good idea to hose down an entire stall today. People are disgusting. Don't give them too much credit.

I used to bounce in this club and would take the trash out each night from the bathrooms. While going over the men's, I noticed a seat cover dispenser on the wall was protruding oddly. Looked behind it and lost all faith in humanity. Some godless animal had crapped his boxers. Big crap too. And removed them and stuffed them back there. He probably went back to the dance floor too.

Another time one of the cocktail girls brought me a big hot chocolate chip cookie from a bakery on our block which I got all over my hands trying to eat. They were covered in melted chocolate chips. It was pretty late that night and I ran into the bathroom to wash them off so I could get back to the door. Some random drunk dude was at the sink next to me washing his hands too and took one look at all that chocolate and about lost his dinner. He made a big deal about it, "dude! Wtf! Come on man! That's horrible get me the f out of here ahhhhhh gross" and bugged out of there. I didn't even have time to react or try to explain. I just gave one finger an extra lick and kept washing.

Just some reply to all fun....

We had a community email list for our small housing development of 28 semi attached units. Unfortunately all the wannabe Perry Mason lawyers (and real ones...even worse) wanted to turn every minor discussion about fixing some trivial item into a Supreme Court case but of course always found an excuse not to actually file any lawsuits or do anything productive to resolve any problems. My neighbors wife tried to forward one of these lame brain discussions to her husbands work email and added "here go these ****heads trying to out lawyer each other. What tools, why can't they stfu?"

I thought she was a hero because it killed the email list but her mortification was on another level being a very sweet first grade teacher type of girl.

As an IT guy myself, you don't have to be an expert network architect to see the problem with that decision.

"So, what's the impact?"
"Uh, well, I guess those people won't be able to use email during that time."
"You said AM, right? Not PM?"

IT... building and subsequently crippling dependencies since Turing

Back