Thicker mash for IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I was reading about doing a thicker mash 1:1 possibly for a Two Hearted Clone that I'm doing in a minute. What do you guys think? :mug:

Minute has past. What'd you end up doing? :cross:

I guess I don;t understand the reasoning to do a thicker mash just for the sake of doing a thicker mash. Enymes need to ride the available "convection currents" in the mash to locate the sugar, cling on, and get to cleaving. From what I understand of it, the thinner the better from an enzymatic perspective.

Now if you have a tun size problem on a really big grain bill, then a thick mash may be the way to go rather than a parti-gyle, a split and blend mash (two smaller mashes blended toghether at runoff), or a Doble-Doble (runoff from first used to mash the second).

Yeah, I've got a 10 gal tun so it's not a space problem. I was just reading that and was wondering the same thing. Thanks! :mug:

Well, the theory is that a thicker mash would create more dextrinous wort, I believe. So, it should create a mash that is less fermentable. I actually think that temperature is more important than mash thickness, so unless I'm doing a step mash or decoction, I just go with my standard 1.25 quarts per pound.

I QT to 1 LB? I don't see any benefit. A standard 1.25QT to 1 LB seems the most appropriate to me.

GilaMinumBeer, there's also a theory out there that a thicker mash keeps the enzymes and sugars closer together and thus you get a more effective conversion

Thicker mashes also tend to promote more protease activity, if that makes any difference.

I see no reason to do a thicker mash for an IPA, though, unless you have more than one infusion step (and I see no reason to do that for an IPA, either.) If you want to just do it for fun, though, go for it!

TL

But the IPAs to which Daniels refers were brewed in Britain which used the Imperial Quart which is nearly 25% bigger than the US Quart.
Just a thought.

-a.

IPA's historically were rather different that they are today, anyway.

Are you doing a British IPA or an American IPA.
If American, then I'd definitely go for the thinner mash.

Latest posts

Back