Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob C.

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi:
I am making the "I love IPAs" Two hearts clone using Cali yeast. It was fermenting for about two day and then stopped. Do you think it is stalled?

Thanks

I've seen some finish in 2 days with just US-05 or S-04. Depends some on how much yeast you pitched. Possibly it's got a few more points to go but those last points can come off slowly and maybe not for another week or so.

So no, I don't think it's stalled. It's just done doing what it wants to do at this moment in time. Keep the beer or it's ambient temps stable until you decide it's time to move on to the next step in the process.

However beer isn't ready to come out of the fermenter just because it's finished fermenting. There are other things that the yeast are likely still working on. Like cleaning up some off flavors they may have made while fermenting. And for certain you need to give all that stuff suspended in the beer time to fall to the bottom.

Though taking a SG reading is the only reliable way to know if fermentation is over, you risk exposing the beer to O2 if you try to get a sample. Even if you get the sample from a spigot, a equal volume of air will have to replace that sample you pull.

I seldom ever took a sample until my beer had cleared completely on it's own. And sometimes that took 5 - 6 weeks. But usually 10 to 20 days. By then it's well past the end of fermentation.

If you ever get a RaptPill or Tilt, you'll see just how fast the actual fermentation happens. But again, the poor choice of name for your fermenter should not make you think it's ready for the next destination just because fermentation is over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back