Thick fruit cider prior to fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeyZeus

Reaction score
Hi, I'm attempting to make a nectarine hard cider which I plan to eventually carbonate. I cold pressed 15 litres of nectarine juice today which has come out quite thick, like a puree consistency. I was hoping to create a watery apple cider consistency. Is there any way of thinning this down without adding too much water? I don't really want to dilute the flavour too much.

I recall reading somewhere that cider can be diluted up to 10-20% without meaningfully effecting mouthfeel and taste. I don't remember where.

Maybe use pectic enzyme, a fining agent, or cold crash to get some solids out of the juice? Filter?

I recall reading somewhere that cider can be diluted up to 10-20% without meaningfully effecting mouthfeel and taste. I don't remember where.

Maybe use pectic enzyme, a fining agent, or cold crash to get some solids out of the juice? Filter?

Thanks for your advice. I added pectinase to the brew which is currently sitting for 24 hours before I pitch the yeast. My understanding of pectinase (when adding to juice, not pulp) was to clear the brew. That said, I was hoping it might break down the thickness a bit but wasn't sure. If its still thick before I pitch the yeast I'll water it down like you suggested. I'm sure 10-20% will be fine.

You may want to wait on diluting your mix. Fermentatiin and your pectinease will break down and turn to mush or liquify some of the puree solids.

Just a thought.

You may want to wait on diluting your mix. Fermentatiin and your pectinease will break down and turn to mush or liquify some of the puree solids.

Just a thought.
I've decided to hold off on watering it down. I looked at the must this morning and its starting to separate - 1/4 juice 3/4 pulp. I'll take an SG reading from the juice before pitching the yeast and hope the fermentation process breaks a lot more of the pulp down. I'm wondering if adding another dose of pectin enzyme for the fermentation will help break it down?

Latest posts

Back