Thermowell location: Upside down keg MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmatics

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello HBTers,

I feel like upgrading my keg MLT setup, and would like to add a thermowell to monitor the temps vs. using my thermopen. I use an upside down keg, with a jaybird hinged false bottom. I am currently not recirculating my mash. I am thinking about putting about a thermowell under the FB, to make sure it doesn't get damaged by any stirring action. However, I am concerned that I won't really get an accurate measurement.

Ideally, I suppose I would recirculate and have the temp taken on return to the MLT. I also would like to get the temp of the grain, but don't want to risk damage while stirring. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

If you are recirculating then the best place to put your probe is in the plumbing on the exit port. That will tell you what the temp is in the grain bed since the recirculating mash will even the temps throughout. You could put a thermowell through the side of the vessel, but that only tells you the temp of that one spot.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use a keggle and recirculate.
I have an analog gauge about 4" up from the FB, and measure the recirc right where it returns to the tun. Works very well, but requires some sort of bulkhead/bung.
I'm thinking of adding another probe... digital probably at another location. You just can't have enough temp probes. :)

Back