Is DV10 similar to Cote des Blancs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Down here in this upside part of the world, no-one seems to be carrying Cote des Blancs any more. I was able to get it a few years ago but Google and eBay searches don't turn anything up. It is getting close to the start of cider time here in Oz.

Because of my failed apple crop this year, I have to use juice bought from a commercial orchard. The upside of this is that I have access to an excellent orchard where I can choose the juice varieties, so it is an opportunity to compare yeasts using exactly the same juice blend. My usual go-to is S04 and I am quite happy with it. However, I would like to do some comparisons while I have the chance.

DV10 is readily available, and a bit of research suggests that it is similar to Cote des Blancs. Any suggestions or opinions?

Cheers!

About 8 months ago I started using DV10 out of curiosity because it's supposed to allow fruit characteristics (from your apples used or co-fermented fruits) to make it through fermentation. The cider batches I started last year have been coming "on stream" and I've been slowly going through them. I haven't used Cotes des Blanc, but I can compare it to EC-1118.

It definitely allows fruit character to shine through. I've added pineapple, cranberries, grapes and more and the fruit is definitely there. With 1118 I find the fruity character is converted to a more winey character. So, depending on what you're going for (single varietal ciders maybe?) DV10 might be an interesting choice. I made three single varietals this fall using DV10, but I only just bottled them so won't be tasting for a month or two.

One thing I noticed in the straight-up apple cider I made with DV10 is that its "flabbier" than those I've made with 1118 and MO2. I didn't notice it in the fruited ciders, but it was very evident in the apple cider. I like them dry and crisp, and the DV10 cider was definitely not crisp like the other champagne yeasts, it was softer and rounder.

Well, that's my two cents. Good luck!

From the DV10 technical sheet:
"This yeast is neutral, robust and reliable. It is considered a clean fermenter that respects varietal
characters and avoids the bitter contribution of other workhorse yeasts"
Confirm the above is true. And no bitter aftertaste like EC-1118 can leave behind. It also says that DV10 can "improve mouthfeel", which is probably what I experienced by calling the cider it made "flabbier" than 1118.

Thanks Dave, that helps.

I started my cider journey with EC1118 almost ten years ago on the recommendation of the local brew shop. I was a noob and the first results fermented quickly but were tart, dry and not very pleasant with little flavour, so I have been a bit gun-shy of EC1118 since.

Over the years I have settled on S04 (an ale yeast) after going exotic (and expensive) with things like WLP775 (very good) and WLP002 (couldn't tell the difference). SWMBO finds cider with S04 a little "beery", but I don't. Because as outlined above, I can keep the juice blend constant this year I figure a few batches with different yeasts, particularly wine or champagne yeasts would be a good idea.

The first two batches are under-way with S04 as the "reference" against 71B. I have happily used AS2, TF6 and M02 in the past with good results, but not spectacularly different to S04. I thought the next batches might be worthwhile with CdB and perhaps something else. Hence the DV10 as an alternative to CdB. From your comments, it might suit SWMBO being a bit milder.

I certainly find that adding Malic Acid to around TA 6g/L and about 1/4 tsp of tannin powder to a gallon produces a better, more flavoursome cider. But the search for the perfect yeast continues.

Back