Thermowell + carboy stoppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snappuccino

Reaction score
Hi folks,

First time poster but have been lurking for a bit. I have a few questions.

Preface: Brewing a wheat beer, purchased a Thermowell for the first time (in previous brew, I taped my Inkbird sensor to the side of the carboy).

Brew on Saturday, threw in Thermowell into the top of my carboy + inserted probe into well. Used a starter and this thing kicked off pretty rapidly. What I noticed is that the stopper seemingly was being pushed out a bit after really pushing it in there (and making sure inside of glass + stopper is completely dry). That is picture #1. Due to the pressure, I had to take it out and use my other stopper for peace of mind. That's picture #2.

I'm wondering: Are there any other stoppers out there that I can use for this? I want this thing to be super secure and I can't be checking it every couple hours to make sure it's seated correctly. It could just be that the first day was a bit too much pressure but wondering what your thoughts were on alternative stoppers. I've seen these "carboy caps" but I'm not sure if they can handle this thermowell.

Thanks!

#1 View media item 69229#2 View media item 69230

I have a silicone stopper with two holes that I use for fermentation. I can never get that thing to stay put in my BMB. I'm thinking about going to a two hole top for the BMB so that I have separate stoppers for blow off and thermowell.

7044.jpg

These fit a non-threaded carboy very well, and a better bottle pretty well. A large hose clamp helps secure that good seal.

7044.jpg

These fit a non-threaded carboy very well, and a better bottle pretty well. A large hose clamp helps secure that good seal.
I use these too but not sure how a thermowell will fit in the small hole. Probably will not seal completely unless you use a worm clamp.
Never had any issues using these. Matter of fact all i use now as the rubber ones never would stay put.

I use these too but not sure how a thermowell will fit in the small hole. Probably will not seal completely unless you use a worm clamp.
Never had any issues using these. Matter of fact all i use now as the rubber ones never would stay put.
Same here. I had to use a system of zip ties to get rubber stoppers to not pop out of my glass carboys.

I can't remember if I used a stainless inkbird probe through one of those. I know I got a pencil stuck in one once.

I actually have the same stopper/thermowell as Snappuccino. I ended up carefully pushing the stopper down into the neck of the carboy, so that the top of the stopper was even with the top of the carboy. It stayed that way, but I didn't like it much because I was afraid it would drop into the brew. It also made it more difficult to get out later on.

I have since moved on to using wide mouth plastic fermenters, so I don't have to use that stopper much anymore.

Thermowell in the big hole, blow off tube pushed over the small one. :)

Back