Thermometer - Narrowed to these two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of the thermoworks that you posted. They are great. No experience with the other one.

I have heard good things about both of those. I bought my Thermapen for $70 just before the cheaper ones seem to have become more reliable. No one gave good reviews of the cheap ones 5 years ago.

I have a cheap digital but it was so slow to read that, that was what prompted me to get a Thermapen. I would definitely trust ThermoWorks.

Thermaworks by a mile. I have two Thermapens (one for kitchen, one for brewery) and would be lost without them. Great quality. You pay for it - but you also won't regret it.

I have the t-handle thermometer from Thermoworks. Not the same one you linked though. Mines 20" or 24" or something like that. I use it in my mash tun cooler (hole drilled through the top). It's quick, accurate, and awesome! I love my thermopen as well!

I highly recommend Thermoworks. Good prices, great products!

I had the CDN thermometer and had some problems with calibrating it So was not the best for me. I have not tried the Thermoworks one you posted but I do have a Thermapen and use it not only for brewing, but also for cooking and it is great. Fast and accurate. So my vote is for the Theremoworks.

If you can afford it get the Thermopen. I went through several thermometers before I sprung for the Thermapen. Worth what I paid for it.

I would vote CDN between those two since to calibrate you simply push a button vs. using a screw on the thermoworks. It seems enough people have had good experiences with the CDN that it should be reliable, and it works fine for me.

For the thermapen, I bet its great but I cannot justify paying $80 for something that won't make my beer infinitely better than my $16 CDN. I know folks here swear by it, but I would rather upgrades be made elsewhere in my equipment. I used the savings on a CDN to purchase oxygenation equipment.

Search for Bobby M's testing of CDN vs. Thermapen or visit brewhardware.com and look up the CDN for his testing.

I have the CDN, which I used before I got this:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/high-quality-thermometer-2-12.html

I find the dial much more practical. Drilled a small hole in the lid of my kettle where the thermometer goes so I can monitor mash temps (BIAB). Then while bringing up to a boil it clips to the side of the pot, can watch the temp, and prevent boil overs. Don't use the digital much anymore.

Back