Thermometer a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbkdev

Reaction score
Just got my 15 gallon megapot last night to start BIAB finally. I noticed the Thermometer probe sticks a few inches into the kettle. Is this a problem for BIAB? Anyone have any issues or am I over thinking it?

You might want to get a thermometer to measure the mash inside the bag as well. I had that same setup for a while and I'd get a 2 - 4 degree difference between my "inside the bag" temp and my "outside the bag" temp, especially when it was colder outside. I ended up removing the thermo in the kettle and just went with a hand held inside the bag.

Just my experience.

Just my experience.

Yes, pretty much my experience as well, the mounted thermometers look all spiffy and professional, but while actually brewing I find a handheld works very well...also easier to clean and handle without a temp probe installed.

Now a clean in place system might be a different story.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

You might want to get a thermometer to measure the mash inside the bag as well. I had that same setup for a while and I'd get a 2 - 4 degree difference between my "inside the bag" temp and my "outside the bag" temp, especially when it was colder outside. I ended up removing the thermo in the kettle and just went with a hand held inside the bag.

Just my experience.

I'm sorry if this offends anybody. But the instructions do not say anything about checking the temp in the bag.. They say check in the pot and say they want u to have 170 degrees, well that means the bag is 168, where they want the bag to be. If they wanted the bag to be 170 degrees they would say turn the pot to like 172 degrees. I would not measure the "inside" of the bag..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm sorry if this offends anybody. But the instructions do not say anything about checking the temp in the bag.. They say check in the pot and say they want u to have 170 degrees, well that means the bag is 168, where they want the bag to be. If they wanted the bag to be 170 degrees they would say turn the pot to like 172 degrees. I would not measure the "inside" of the bag..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the grain is the reason you need a certain temperature for conversion, and since the grain exists inside the bag, that's the temperature I'd care about. Not seeing your logic, maybe I'm missing something?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

:( got my bag yesterday, great quality. Went to do my first BIAB today, and sure enough tore it on the thermometer. Bag weight so much I couldnt even tell it was on the thermometer until it ripped. Looks like I'm gonna need another bag, what a bummer. That thermometer is a pita for biab.

Back