Wort chiller in Megapot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman

Reaction score
I just picked up an 8-gallon Megapot with ball valve and thermometer on heavy sale at the northern brewer retail closing sale. I tried fitting my wort chiller in and the thermometer blocks it. I’m guessing I’m not the first to face this issue—has anyone found a good solution?

I haven't brewed my first beer yet but I ran into the same problem. I have the 10 gallon megapot and made my own wort chiller. I don't think there is an easy fix around this, at least to my knowledge. Hopefully I am wrong!

Anyhow, being that I made my own wort chiller, I was able to somewhat warp my wort chiller so that it was able to sit on the bottom of the pot. If that doesn't do the trick for me on brew day as well as I would like, I am going to have to redo the copper wire I used to tie/extend the coil so that it is more narrow.

Hopefully someone has a better answer that I can learn from as well!

Cheers!

I did find on the NB website something that would allow me to remove the thermometer and plug the hole (Weldless Bulkhead Hole Plug Kit - Kettle Plug). But it would be nice to still have that functionality.
There are better, more elegant solutions than NB's $$! bolt-plug.
Meet the Dang-It:
https://www.brewhardware.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=plug&Submit=
While on Bobby's site, there are many more other goodies to look at and consider...

Frankly, a thermometer sticking through the middle of the kettle wall is just an obstacle that doesn't need to be there. You can use any handheld thermometer to measure the temp from the surface. You may have to give the content a stir before or while measuring.

[Added]
I just looked at the 8-gallon Megapot on NB's site.

It doesn't look like there's a welded (half) port, where the valve thermometer is.
So it's probably a drilled or punched hole in the kettle wall, with a bulkhead.

Make sure you get the correct size plug or the Dang-It for that diameter hole.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back