Thermapen MK4... is it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashevillain

Level 3 Potions Master
Reaction score
Just sell me, how much easier can this make your life? Just curious because theyre selling for 76 right now.

I use a glass lab thermometer to measure my mash temps now, but have plans of going electric/recirc/probe in the future. Not sure how soon that future will be though or if the thermapen could still offer some value.

At that price, heck yes.

It's great for brewing but even better if you cook. With the Thermapen, I can get that tenderloin fillet a perfect 127° in the center, those $17/lb sea scallops never get over cooked, etc.

The Maverick pro temp pt 100 is within less than a degree of accuracy as the Thermapens and the same speed at $20 less. While the Thermanpen sets the standard the pro temp is a great instant read thermometer and if you ever need to check the temp of a meat on the BBQ at night, the lighted display blows away the Thermapen for usefulness.

I have had mine for, I don't know, 6 or more years now, it gets a lot of use and abuse. I compete at BBQ so a reliable isn't read thermometer is essential - like a stethoscope to a doctor, and I'll put that pro temp up against a Thermapen every time.

I just bought one of them today
I like the accuracy, quickness, and how it is supposed to be waterproof.
I believe there is a video that shows them throwing it in a pot of water and it floats on top

I have a cheaper digital probe thermometer. I bought it on Amazon, probably for $20. It takes about 6 seconds to read mash temps. I want a thermapen, but I can't justify $76 to save four seconds on brew day.

I bought a Thermapen about 5 years ago. It was one of the few that would give accurate readings really quickly. There are quite a few options now. CDN thermometers get quite good reviews. I bought a cheap backup thermometer on Amazon recently. I have used it for cooking, it seems quick and accurate. I will check at freezing temps and at boiling before using it for brewing. It was $12.99.

I feel like I will buy this one.

http://www.thermoworks.com/RT600C

Accuracy is very close at ±0.9°F compared to ±0.7°F for the MK4
Speed is also close at 5-6 seconds compared to 2-3 seconds for the MK4
Probe is slightly longer at 4.8 inches compared to the MK4 4.3 inches

And, its only $19 right now.

I use my thermapen mk4 for Fking everything. Before that had the older model. gifted several to family. Its the ultimate homeowner and brewer gift too

One thing to consider is the IP rating...Maverick is IP44 which is splash proof. Thermapen is IP67 which is rated for submersion up to about a meter. For $20 for a brewery application, the thermapen is a no brainer.

I have both both, and the Thermapen (older model bought on close out due to ugly color they couldn't sell) is hands down better built and lasts longer than my Maverick stuff. I think a Thermapen is a once and done purchase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Welp. Thought about it a lot and just decided to go for it. I'd rather never buy another thermometer again and ill still have my glass one for calibration.

Just sell me, how much easier can this make your life? Just curious because theyre selling for 76 right now.

I use a glass lab thermometer to measure my mash temps now, but have plans of going electric/recirc/probe in the future. Not sure how soon that future will be though or if the thermapen could still offer some value.

I got one for Christmas, finally was able to use it this weekend for brewing.

I love it. Having said that, I made 24 batches without it, and my cheap digital thermometer somehow managed to suffice.

Not only is it very accurate, it's incredibly fast. I especially noted that in two instances. One was in measuring mash temperature, where I don't have to hold the thermometer for 10 or 15 seconds for it to stabilze, and it settled on the temp in a hurry. The other was in measuring the temp of my mash sample prior to measuring PH. Very easy to dial that temp in.

It's also a sizeable thermometer. If you see it in pics with someone holding it, you'll realize it's quite a bit larger than most digital thermometer. I like that--easy to hold, and it's harder to lose it among all my other brewing equipment and detritus.

Is it worth it? Only you can decide. I managed to use Christmas money for it, otherwise, I'm not sure I would have parted with the money. But now that I have it, would I trade it back for the money?

No. :)

It looks like there are now some viable, decent alternatives that are much cheaper, but then again, there are plenty cars cheaper than BMWs that arguably do the same thing, but many people will still buy a BMW. Are they wasting their money? Only the consumer can decide that for him/herself.

I consider the $80 or so spent on my thermapen money well spent. It is now literally the ONLY thermometer I have that ever gets used for anything other than ambient room temperature.

If it broke would I look for a cheaper alternative or replace it with another, is a relevant question.
And I can say without hesitation that I would buy another Thermapen without hesitation. It's that good.

I received mine yesterday, it looks brand new. I ordered a white one, can't wait to try it out. It's a lot bigger than I imagined, so it will be easy to keep up with.

I bought one about 9 years ago for checking meat temps while smoking. It's still going strong and dead on accurate. Only problem
With it is that it's not waterproof. I'm going to get a second one for brewing only uses.

I feel like I will buy this one.

http://www.thermoworks.com/RT600C

Accuracy is very close at ±0.9°F compared to ±0.7°F for the MK4
Speed is also close at 5-6 seconds compared to 2-3 seconds for the MK4
Probe is slightly longer at 4.8 inches compared to the MK4 4.3 inches
And, its only $19 right now.
+1^^^ this. Pretty much same capabilities for significantly less. I also use the Thermoworks Dot with the 12" long probe for checking mash and providing an alarm when my water hits strike. It's accuracy is ±1.8°F (±1.0°C) from -4 to 248°F (-20 to 120°C), which is close enough.
Ed
:mug:

Back