theoretical question about copy protection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
So, theoretically, what is the best way around a copy protected DVD? I've heard there was a pretty good program out there.

I'm researching for a paper I'm writing. ;)

Were I to do such a thing, DVDshrink works great. Also, I heard from my friend's cousin's brother's former roommate that Alcohol 120% rips any kind of CDs or DVDs flawlessly.

Anything DVDSHRINK won't handle (like Disney films), DVDFab decrypter will.
They are both free.
You need DVDShrink to get the file down to the 4.7G to fit on a single layer disc too.

Copying isn't illegal.. per se.. infact I copied all my DVD's and we watch the copys and keep the originals safely stored away.. great for when the nephew comes over and wants to watch my "Rescue Rangers" DVD's.. lets just say he is less careful with them then I am..

SpamDog

Another vote for DVDShrink.

Also, if Shrink chokes while making your backup, try RipIt4Me. Unfortunately their website was taken down a few weeks ago, but you can still find it out there if you look around.

RipIt4Me provides a true "1 click" mode - automating the DVD backup process using DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink and FixVTS. Nice and easy....

FWIW, if you have a dual layer DVD burner you can make a backup of a commercial DVD (after removing the copy protection or course) without having to compress it first to fit on a single layer DVD. The compression will degrade the video quality.

SpamDog said:
Copying isn't illegal.. per se.. infact I copied all my DVD's and we watch the copys and keep the originals safely stored away.. great for when the nephew comes over and wants to watch my "Rescue Rangers" DVD's.. lets just say he is less careful with them then I am..

SpamDog

Actually in general you are right. But in practice you are wrong. Copying a movie for your own personal backup is protected under "fair use." However, that only applies to DVDs that have no form of copy protection and almost every movie out there has some form or another. It is a violation of the DMCA to bypass any form of copy protection even if it is only for fair use.

With that said, I do not support the MPAA and if the copying is really for fair use, AnyDVD is the best there is to get around the encryption.

homebrewer_99 said:
Is there a program I can use to copy a DVD movie to my hard drive and not to another DVD?

The program I use now has no options other than another DVD.
DVD Shrink will do that for most DVD's. I don't think that it is freely available anymore though so someone may have to make you a copy.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
OK, so you get it decrypted and then you need to shrink it before you can copy it? Theoretically. then you just copy normally?

The ripping software does two major things. It rips the data from the DVD, while at the same time removing the copyright protection. The software will leave a VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive where ever you told the software to place it (desk top for example).

Commercial DVD's are dual layer disks that can hold up to 8.5 GB of data. Conventional DVD-R's are single layer disks with a capacity of 4.7 GB. Most movies will not fit on a single layer DVD-R without being compressed. While the compression software that is available does a good job at compressing the data to fit on one single layer DVD-R, the compression will degrade the video quality to some degree. If you have a dual layer DVD burner then you only have to rip the data from the DVD, it does not need to be compressed.

Once you have a VIDEO_TS that has been compressed for a single layer DVD-R, or not compressed if you have a dual layer DVD burner, you will need some sort of DVD burning software (Toast, etc..). The format that should be used to burn the disk is ISO 9660. Drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the software, insert a blank DVD-R and burn away.

homebrewer_99 said:
Is there a program I can use to copy a DVD movie to my hard drive and not to another DVD?

The program I use now has no options other than another DVD.

You have a few options depending on what you want to do with the movie. If you want to leave it as just the dvd files and play it through powerdvd(or any other dvd playing software) then you can use dvd decryter and put it into file mode (from the mode drop down menu) and then save the dvd files to a directory of your choosing. this will create a Video_TS folder. Inside that folder will be .vob .ifo and .bup files. In order to play that back open your DVD playing software and choose play dvd video from hard drive and point it to that folder.

Option 2, if you want to save it as a single compressed video file then you can use AutoGK. This will rip movies to an .avi file which will be significantly smaller than a dvd file. It also will lose some quality but still look perfectly fine unless viewing on an HDTV then you will notice a significant loss.

Check out http://www.doom9.org for information on all sorts of video ripping and encoding. The guys on the forums there are often very helpful if you have any questions.

If you are going to burn copies, for God's sake use the re-author function and get rid of all the menus and crap. This will cut down on the amount of compression.

I travel a lot for business so when I get my netflix movies, I rip them to my laptop harddrive with DVDshrink so I can watch them on the plane without spinning the DVD the whole time. It eats battery life that way.

cha ngo said:
If you are going to burn copies, for God's sake use the re-author function and get rid of all the menus and crap. This will cut down on the amount of compression.

See, I prefer them with the menu and all. Seems more authentic to me. Maybe I'm just strange.

Back