The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little off topic, but I just found this: http://leejasper.com/node/74

I get what he's saying, but I think the guy is taking it a little out of context. 'Rule, Britannia" has been sung at football matches for forever and is no way intended to be racist. I doubt 99% of the fans singing in the stadium(s) even considered the implications it has.

A little off topic, but I just found this: http://leejasper.com/node/74

I get what he's saying, but I think the guy is taking it a little out of context. 'Rule, Britannia" has been sung at football matches for forever and is no way intended to be racist. I doubt 99% of the fans singing in the stadium(s) even considered the implications it has.

Jeezus. It's just a traditional song. In the same way as those fooking horns are traditional.

Edit: I just read the rest of this guy's site. I won't be worrying about his agenda, i have better things to do. ;)

USA has been robbed....this has got to be some of the worst officiating I have seen.

I cannot believe the officiating in that game. Bad both ways, but IMO worse for the US based on the Findley call, the lame arse hand ball call and the egregious non-goal. Just total crap. Should have gone down as the best comeback of the tournament, instead, the US will have to scramble and depend on other outcomes to advance... sad.

Yep, that was absolutely horrible. USA dodged a bullet in the first half - Dempsey should have been sent off in the first 30 seconds, he knew exactly what he was doing there. But the ref certainly made it up to the Slovenians. I don't think it was as one sided as some folks are thinking, but the disallowed goal was an absolute joke.

Been a weeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird World Cup so far...

I think the officiating has been great so far, but that game was a joke. Too inconsistent. Sometimes it was like a wrestling match out there with no calls and continued play. Then several very touch and go fouls and a ton of yellow cards. Just lame. Officiating should not directly affect the outcome of the game (taking a goal away) especially on a close call (or none int his case).

I can't believe the ref's are allowed to call a foul but do not have to state against who or for what!!!

Well, I'm going inside to watch England now....Not sure whether to take you guys in with me or not! :)

:mug: lol saw this and thought "that sort of looks like LGI".

good-morning-son-good-morning-son.jpg

ENGLAND JUST TIED?!!!!! as long as we win there is NO way that we can't advance. Though...if England can't beat Algeria...can the USA?

If we win we are through.
If we tie and England and Slovania Tie and England keep less goals scored than us (so far we're up) we're through.
If we tie and Slovenia wins, we are through.

England couldn't beat us either, we have just as good of a chance against Algeria. We've put 3 (4 really) balls in the net, Algeria has put 0.

based on this morning's results...

Let's Go Algeria!!

(sorry, gnome)

Yeah It's pretty nerve racking cheering for and against both teams. At least cheering for one team you can get excited when they're on one side of the field. Watching this game, I was nervous anytime they were outside the middle 30!

I kinda thought that England shat the bed against the USA.

Today tho, they not only crapped it, but then they proceeded to roll around in it for 90 minutes.

Awful performance by the English - the tabloids will be going mental in the morning. Rooney in particular was absolutely shocking. Showed about as much desire in that match as Meaty does when he hears the "Good Morning, Son" call.

WIDE open on Tuesday. All four teams in with a shout. MUST WIN match for England against Slovenia, who'll be playing for a point. And Algeria showed today that they could be a much tougher opponent than the Slovenians were for the USA. An English win means that game's a must win for the US.

The cup has been complete crap so far, everyone is playin like a bunch of US highschool teams! What the hell.

Oh man that refferee's call was a big pile of stinkin' crap. Here, you can clearly see it was not an offside (you can see it clearly at about 32").
And how the hell can a "professional" referee take a goal from a team because the other team just committed a foul on them??? That's just a bunch of crap.
Thank goodness for England doing so badly with Algeria today, that means we still have a good chance of progressing out of our group.

The cup has been complete crap so far, everyone is playin like a bunch of US highschool teams! What the hell.
Maybe that's because our high school teams are good now a days, the kids know the game, the coaches know the game and the referees know the game (unlike FIFA referees apparently)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the call, I had the game DVR'd.

they could have called 3 penalties on SVN for litterally hugging the American players.

And this ref blew 3 other calls that went against the US. I mean a yellow card for intentional hand ball when it hit him in the face and then glanced off his arm?

Dork.

Oh I especially like the video at 35" where Michael Bradley is in a frackin' full nelson and Jay DeMerit was doing a forced tango with a Slovenian defender. I can whine and ***** like mad (well, continue to... I made a big stink at the bar) but that doesn't change anything. What they need to look at are the ways they could have prevented playing catch-up:

- The first goal... seriously Tim Howard? Were you daydreaming?

- The response pressure was excellent, in my opinion. They attacked the box quite a bit but they failed to get back on D while Slovenia was transitioning.

Also: Group D is straight up balls. I can't believe Germany lost... I'm not bashing on Serbia or anything but really? The goal was very deserving one, though the keeper definitely should have come out :D

At the beginning of the tournament I was thinking we need to win the group outright to avoid Germany but now... I just don't know. Say what you will, this years Cup has been pretty dang entertaining.

Let's get a win next week, Team USA! WOO! [insert vuvuzela noises]

*shrugs*

Again, ref could have (should have) sent Clint Dempsey off after 30 seconds. It's telling when a player runs for the hills and stays as far away from the ref as he can while the guy is getting treatment (the replays were kinda telling too!)

Just sayin'.

Probably the most entertaining match of the tournament so far, tho.

Hopefully, the US will play for the full 90 minutes against Algeria and this blown call will be a non-issue.

That's what I'd really like to see. However, I feel that a performance review is seriously needed. It's just like any other job: if the head-boss-man sees you doing something he really doesn't like, you're going to get called into the office for a little chit-chat.

Back