The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. New rule. If someone falls down and fakes hurt and they don't really have an injury... then someone gets to give them one.

You can add that to the list of things that will keep Americans from getting into soccer. When players can throw themselves to the ground every 2 minutes faking injuries, there's something wrong.

That was a good game. USA should be proud of their skill and commitment. (And their so-called supporters should stop whining about every little thing that is a part of the game)

But seriously, how the heck can you start EVERY game like you just got out of bed and didn't have your coffee yet, and don't wake up untill the second half? Every game??? I mean come on people!!! Where is the coach, where is the captain, how come the obvious problem wasn't approached? 3 out of 4 games we lost the first goal in the first 10 min of the game! Anybody see a pattern there? I'm just very frustrated right now. I was really hoping this would be the year for us. Silly me.

Well at least it was a good game and at least my rye pale ale came out great. We just started drinking it at game time and it's awesome

time for steaks

But seriously, how the heck can you start EVERY game like you just got out of bed and didn't have your coffee yet, and don't wake up untill the second half? Every game??? I mean come on people!!! Where is the coach, where is the captain, how come the obvious problem wasn't approached? 3 out of 4 games we lost the first goal in the first 10 min of the game! Anybody see a pattern there? I'm just very frustrated right now. I was really hoping this would be the year for us. Silly me.

Yup. USA lost it with that first goal. They really should have won this match overall, but the first half was seriously lacking in a plan. :(

yeah, things might have been different if we didn't show up to every game 10 minutes late. oh well, top of our group, made it to the round of 16... a bunch of relative unknowns in an obscure (to Americans) sport sparked more national pride and patriotism than the president could ever hope to and Landon Donovan became a household name.

I'm proud of them and am looking forward to what we can do in 2014. I know this year got me very interested in Soccer and I'm sure I'll be following it more closely in the years to come.

Howard seemed too much out of position (and a bit tentative) on the Ghana goals. The Ghana goalie was more assertive and was better at taking away USA opportunities. Losing possession and putting Howard under pressure certainly didn't help him though.

Good result for USA, overall. Now...Germany or England tomorrow???

Howard seemed too much out of position (and a bit tentative) on the Ghana goals. The Ghana goalie was more assertive and was better at taking away USA opportunities. Losing possession and putting Howard under pressure certainly didn't help him though.

Good result for USA, overall. Now...Germany or England tomorrow???

I gotta say Germany. (I hope I'm wrong) Maybe now that I said that I will get proved wrong as i usually am! ;)

I agree about Howard too. He was too far off the line in both goals. That's fine if he's going to rush the striker and narrow the target, but he kinda just stayed in the middle ground and never intimidated.

this

It's really annoying to watch any sport and see a lackluster start for your team; even worse when they do it over and over and over and over.

this

It's really annoying to watch any sport and see a lackluster start for your team; even worse when they do it over and over and over and over.

for a moment there i thought you were talking about england.i know how you all feel though as england do the same in every tournament they play,even our rugby players do but at least they sort they're **** out enough to actually do something at the end of the tournament.

englandvgermany - if past history repeats then it'll be a draw and england lose on penalties, i'll run down the street naked if we win though:ban:

England could really use some help from the US footy fans right now, But they won't get it because Americans always default to their perceived "Second nationality"

Very soon, we will be seeing who claims to be Irish, Italian, German etc. (Well, not the Italians any more, cos they sucked. Or Irish, 'cos they aren't in it) ;)

There will be a lot of German Americans, anyway.

OK, The US can go back to hating s#ccer now. ;)

ARRRRGG!! That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Americans love a good comeback story... but we can't do that every friggin time! Such crap in the first half and more than ample opportunities in the second (5 or 6, I believe.) My hopes and dreams for soccer to become mainstream in the US were riding on their shoulders and sadly they didn't pull through. I know a lot of non-soccer fans were watching and getting curious and I hope that lackluster performance didn't scare them away.

Ways the American fans can both make the national team better and make soccer more accepted:
- Keep watching the World Cup! Yes, we may be out and I'm incredibly upset about it (been like a zombie for the last couple hours) but keeping the ratings up and learning more about the game will help increase exposure

- Start watching the MLS. ESPN plays a weekly MLS game (sadly, not more) plus after next season there will be 20 teams in the league. Show your support, make the MLS appear profitable to the big networks (half the teams are posting significant profits now) and join a support's group. The current MLS clubs already have official licensed groups; showing the rest of the world that our fans know what's going on will get us more credibility. Hopefully some of these new converts will hit up a live game and then in Brazil 2014 we'll start hearing chants and seeing more of this:
800px-Section8Chicago.jpg

- Go play! There are plenty of adult leagues in most cities and you can always encourage your children to play... who knows, maybe one day when US soccer players are household names your progeny could be among them.

So, this time around I'd give the overall performance of Team USA a "B-", maybe a "B"... not average but definitely not quite top flight.

I'll be rooting for England from here on out. They'll need all the support they can get on their long road ahead.

ARRRRGG!! That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Americans love a good comeback story... but we can't do that every friggin time! Such crap in the first half and more than ample opportunities in the second (5 or 6, I believe.) My hopes and dreams for soccer to become mainstream in the US were riding on their shoulders and sadly they didn't pull through. I know a lot of non-soccer fans were watching and getting curious and I hope that lackluster performance didn't scare them away.

Ways the American fans can both make the national team better and make soccer more accepted:
- Keep watching the World Cup! Yes, we may be out and I'm incredibly upset about it (been like a zombie for the last couple hours) but keeping the ratings up and learning more about the game will help increase exposure

- Start watching the MLS. ESPN plays a weekly MLS game (sadly, not more) plus after next season there will be 20 teams in the league. Show your support, make the MLS appear profitable to the big networks (half the teams are posting significant profits now) and join a support's group. The current MLS clubs already have official licensed groups; showing the rest of the world that our fans know what's going on will get us more credibility. Hopefully some of these new converts will hit up a live game and then in Brazil 2014 we'll start hearing chants and seeing more of this:
800px-Section8Chicago.jpg

- Go play! There are plenty of adult leagues in most cities and you can always encourage your children to play... who knows, maybe one day when US soccer players are household names your progeny could be among them.

So, this time around I'd give the overall performance of Team USA a "B-", maybe a "B"... not average but definitely not quite top flight.

I'll be rooting for England from here on out. They'll need all the support they can get on their long road ahead.

You, sir, have the passion.

Your country NEEDS you! :D

England could really use some help from the US footy fans right now, But they won't get it because Americans always default to their perceived "Second nationality"

Very soon, we will be seeing who claims to be Irish, Italian, German etc. (Well, not the Italians any more, cos they sucked. Or Irish, 'cos they aren't in it) ;)

There will be a lot of German Americans, anyway.

<---- proud to be a Germirafinnwegian.

Man, the Yanks played well when they wanted to. Those early period goals were our Achilles heel for the tournament.

I watched it at the local watering hole. The place was packed and enthusiastic. Most people seemed to have a pretty good idea of what was going on. We even got out a boisterous version of "America the Beautiful" at the start of the 2nd half.

Hated to see the loss but I gotta say this, better to lose it on the pitch than on PKs.

Breakfast & morning attire for England versus Germany!! It should be 2-2 right now - I agree, England just robbed out of their second goal...

Pic_36.jpg

Yeah, Germany looked great... but really England? I expected better than that.

Well, now that there are no more English-speaking nations left, I think I'm going to root for whomever wins the ARGvMEX game. Mexico is the last nation from our division (CONCACAF) and Argentina is just simply an amazing club that is fun to watch.

Argentina v Mexico

I have a feeling this will be a very dramatic game, as in players feigning injury.

Go Argentina!!

The ref errors are another reason Americans won't get into soccer because we all know NFL refs and baseball umpires NEVER make mistakes that affect the game. ;)

The Germany-England call was terrible, but I'm not sure about Mexico-Argentina. Players are allowed to 'reset' themselves after being offside, provided they don't touch the ball. Granted Tevez didn't move back at all, but the Mexican defenders moved toward him and appeared to play him back onside.

I'll confess to being no expert on the rules, but it does seem that a lot of people who comment on the games don't know the rules. There was an offside call in the group stage which the ESPN commenters screamed about because they didn't know that the rule is two men behind the ball (one of which is often the GK), and in this, case, the GK was well out of the net.

They (FIFA) say they don't want to slow the flow of the game with replays YET technology has placed a mic and earphone in the ref's and lineman's head. Replays are damn instant now being digital. What's it take to have a goal judge to say, it's a goal... it's not a goal.
I believe the 2014 WC will have something in place.

Back