The woes of a 120v brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been making one 2000w element work for my 5.25 gallon batches for the past 2-3 years just fine. A typical single infusion (batch sparge) all-grain day is around 4:30 and likely looks something like this:
Time
(min) Task
0-5 Measure mash water, mineral, and ph treatments, begin heating
5:-20 Measure out grains & grind
30-35 Mash in
35-40 Measure / ph adjust batch sparge water, begin heating
1:05-1:10 Transfer sparge water from kettle to spare cooler/bucket
1:10-1:15 vorlauf
1:15-1:25 Mash runoff into kettle, begin heating when element submersed
1:25-1:45 Add batch sparge water, stir, settle, vorlauf
1:45-1:55 Batch sparge runoff
2:20 Boil begins
2:20-3:35 75 min boil
3:35-3:45 whirlpool
3:45-4:00 plate chill
4:00-4:05 pitch yeast
4:05-4:30 cleanup

This is almost exactly what I do. I have actually gone back and forth between this and using the same system to do a full volume mash BIAB, but that actually takes longer because you have to heat the full volume of water before you can mash in.

Still haven't decided is my favorite. but no question about it, in the right kettle 2kw is enough on its own for 5 gallon batches (I have actually done a 1/4bbl batch with mine). I am thinking of adding a cheap element that I can plug into another circuit just to speed up the heat times, like maybe this one.

I don't know what the layout of your home is, but have you thought of running a big cable to get 240v where you need it? When you're finished brewing, roll it up and put it away.

Back