The walls have ears...........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just talking to my husband, and was recharging both my laptop and phone.

Both Cortana and Siri had on their screens something about gigging for flounder......................................

Oh yes! Bob and I were talking about gigging for flounder in Texas.

So, don't talk. Seriously. Don't say a word. THEY can hear you. THEY are listening. Always.

What pisses me off is when I WANT them to look something up, they totally **** that up. "Did you mean dressing as a transsexual in a college bar?". NO. I said, "Where is the nearest bar"! "Did you mean you want to dance on a barre'?" NO.

But let me talk about gigging a few flounder, and they are all over THAT.

Probably selling our fishing secrets to the Russians.

If Siri hears you, no problem. Cortana neither. If the flounder here you then you've got a problem!

I think it's disturbing and a violation of privacy if either app starts listening without user request.

On my Android phone, I would either click on the app or say"ok Google", but the phone has to be unlocked (and awake). Even then, it's a bit creepy.

I did change the voice to a British female. May as well make it sexy when it talks back!

tin_foil_hat.gif

Wife wanted to use that feature on our home PC after we got a microphone for my son.

Cortana responds to me, and both my sons without flaw. But my wife could be screaming at the PC and cortana acts like shes not even in the room despite trying all the set-up and voice recognition options.

It's pretty funny actually, because it annoys the crap out of her. She thinks I've set it somehow to ignore JUST her.

I think it's disturbing and a violation of privacy if either app starts listening without user request.

On my Android phone, I would either click on the app or say"ok Google", but the phone has to be unlocked (and awake). Even then, it's a bit creepy.

I did change the voice to a British female. May as well make it sexy when it talks back!

So how does it hear you say "ok google" if it's not listening?

Just checked mine and I have to press the app button to ask a question. I don't even have to say "ok google" at that point, though, I can just ask the question.

Nothing happens when I say "Ok Google with the phone unlocked at the home screen.

Lol, good point and I just checked. I have to open the 'voice search' app for it to listen. I think it's always listening if you have the widget visible on your screen, which I removed after getting my phone.

I'm confused, who was giggity'ing a flounder - Siri or Cortana? Please don't say Bob or I'll never make oatmeal stout again!

Let us know what happens when you slip on your virtual reality goggles. I wanna hear what comes up for you :)

Actually youtube it for us. I wanna watch a couple of Yoops experience virtual reality. "I don't like what they're doing to that flounder. Don'tchaknow."

I don't remember accepting terms to Sodom sodomize a flounder!? Too many Belgian Tripels again! :eek:

THIS just happened!

I looked up and saw that my dog was home from his walk. He was trotting down the sidewalk. Bob was with him, a bit behind. Then Bob came in, but the dog was lollygagging around. So, Toby (the dog) came around the front of the house, and onto the front porch to be let him. I saw him and yelled to Bob, 'Toby is on the front porch; I think he's peeking in".

Cortana opened a new Edge search page and gave me this:

Tell me on the front porch I think I think he's peeking in the window.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Tell+...F9CB5855F605B&FORM=WNSHCO&cc=US&setlang=en-US (if that shows up)

The results are all country love song lyrics! HAHAHAHA

So apparently, peeking in from the front porch has the makings of a good country song, and NOT a stalking warrant.

I almost choked on my coffee.

Cortana is not the least bit helpful, but it sure is entertaining!

Back