The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just heading this way...also surprised at no reactions yet.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, but why not try to destroy the walkers while they were still contained in the quarry? Why pick the plan with the most moving parts and potential complications?

I agree, seems like the quarry was working well as a walker trap: they fall in and can't get out thus keeping them away from Alexandria. I thought Nick Papageorgio was right: reinforce the quarry barricades then figure out a long term solution.

I dunno.

Shoring up a cliff face that has an 18-wheeler sitting on it with a ****load of Z's around doesn't seem to have a lot of promise of success. What they heck were they gonna use to accomplish that? I like the idea of just taking them all out while they are penned in the quarry, but the sudden collapse of the cliff took away that option.

While the decision to lead them away does seem like an ill-thought-out plot device, the alternatives don't seem all that good either, so I can accept it without too much disbelief.

All I know is next week's episode should be pretty good. lol

I dunno.

Shoring up a cliff face that has an 18-wheeler sitting on it with a ****load of Z's around doesn't seem to have a lot of promise of success. What they heck were they gonna use to accomplish that? I like the idea of just taking them all out while they are penned in the quarry, but the sudden collapse of the cliff took away that option.

While the decision to lead them away does seem like an ill-thought-out plot device, the alternatives don't seem all that good either, so I can accept it without too much disbelief.

All I know is next week's episode should be pretty good. lol

Knocking out the road leading out of the quarry would be the best option IF possible.

A reasoned response to the quarry walkers is the Carter Way. The slow-speed chase (how cool would it have been if the chased car was a white Bronco?) was the Rick Way. And Rick wasn't about to let anything go a non-Rick way.

Rick's plan, at best, sends a million-walker horde toward the next town/settlement/encampment (thanks, Rick!); at worst, can be thwarted with a $5 air horn--guess Carter WAS kinda right...but who was gonna follow the kind of guy who gets his face chewed off by an immobilized walker anyway!

(And who's blowing the horn? My initial guess is that sullen kid whose Dad Rick iced, but that really doesn't fit where I think the show is going...the blame for this HAS to be on Rick.)

As far as coming up with a best proposal to deal with the quarry, it doesn't help that the so-called leader of the town has been reduced to Rick's Rubber Stamp. At this point they could replace Deanna with a pull-string toy that only says, "Rick's right, Ricks' right."

All in all I both liked and disliked the sudden shift in the show from individual and small group interactions to a Cecil B. DeMille-style epic scale. But I guess it was necessary to drive the plot toward a massive Rick-up that perhaps will force the group to move on from Alexandria before they spend the next 5 seasons there.

(And who's blowing the horn? My initial guess is that sullen kid whose Dad Rick iced, but that really doesn't fit where I think the show is going...the blame for this HAS to be on Rick.)

I was thinking it was the Wolves and/or their mole inside Alexandria (that girl that Coral is buddy-buddy with?) making their move, while most of the town is outside the walls.

It just seems like all the time & effort spent (wasted) on Rick's convoluted plan would have been better spent trying to figure out a way to contain & destroy the walkers at the quarry. An hour with an excavator would be enough to remove the only escape road out. Even the tractors at the place Glen cleared out may have been able to handle that job.

Rick's plan, at best, sends a million-walker horde toward the next town/settlement/encampment (thanks, Rick!); at worst, can be thwarted with a $5 air horn...

I figure it must be that damn kid blowing the horn, but it could be the Wolves, they're pretty sharp.

This episode was not the most well written for sure. I thought it pretty unbelievable that everyone would jump on board with this Rick plan right away, that it wasn't very well thought out and nobody really trusted him all that well yet. "Sure, I'll help. I'm in." Too early, too fast. Why couldn't they just build extra strength into all their walls??? At least as step #1. Gather all the materials or vehicles to park around the perimeter to do that. Plus then if you could find 100 trucks and buses, then if the world went to sh*t you could jump in one and drive away. Maybe they just couldn't find the materials or vehicles nearby. But if they could get something, it wouldn't take rocket science to build barriers five times better than what they already had.

But, I suppose that's Hollywood. Gotta keep it moving, can't slow down now, after a kind of slow season. It's exciting anyway. Looking forward to next episode.

I agree, seems like the quarry was working well as a walker trap: they fall in and can't get out thus keeping them away from Alexandria. I thought Nick Papageorgio was right: reinforce the quarry barricades then figure out a long term solution.

I thought sealing up the exit ramp would offer the best and easiest solution. Somehow compromise the cliff wall on the quarry exit ramp causing it to collapse in sealing the ramp. Or use a bucket loader to move and push boulders off the rim of the quarry onto the ramp cutting it off.

It just seems like all the time & effort spent (wasted) on Rick's convoluted plan would have been better spent trying to figure out a way to contain & destroy the walkers at the quarry. An hour with an excavator would be enough to remove the only escape road out. Even the tractors at the place Glen cleared out may have been able to handle that job.

But we all know the writers needed a way to have 100,000 walkers descend on Alexandria at once. So that at best, they do drive off the horde, though many die, so Rick is blamed for messing up and banished from the town; and at worst the town is destroyed (by walkers and/or Wolves) and everyone must flee.

In any case, Rick and Co. gotta move on. That's just how it is now. ;)

(Give 'em 3 more seasons and they might make it all the way from Alexandria to Washington DC!)

Destroy the zombies in there how? I don't think Alexandria has any bombs at their disposal. Waste all their ammo and only kill a third?

I also think reinforcing wouldnt have worked well, as you start making noise and they'll ram the 18-wheelers and get through momentarily.

I figure it must be that damn kid blowing the horn, but it could be the Wolves, they're pretty sharp.

This episode was not the most well written for sure. I thought it pretty unbelievable that everyone would jump on board with this Rick plan right away, that it wasn't very well thought out and nobody really trusted him all that well yet. "Sure, I'll help. I'm in." Too early, too fast. Why couldn't they just build extra strength into all their walls??? At least as step #1. Gather all the materials or vehicles to park around the perimeter to do that. Plus then if you could find 100 trucks and buses, then if the world went to sh*t you could jump in one and drive away. Maybe they just couldn't find the materials or vehicles nearby. But if they could get something, it wouldn't take rocket science to build barriers five times better than what they already had.

But, I suppose that's Hollywood. Gotta keep it moving, can't slow down now, after a kind of slow season. It's exciting anyway. Looking forward to next episode.

Well yeah for interesting TV you cant just have them sit behind impenetrable walls. Also they need to be able to go and get food and stuff, right? Hard to do with thousands of zombies surrounding you. Plus once they build big walls some ******* with a tank shows up and starts chopping heads off.

Destroy the zombies in there how? I don't think Alexandria has any bombs at their disposal. Waste all their ammo and only kill a third?

I also think reinforcing wouldnt have worked well, as you start making noise and they'll ram the 18-wheelers and get through momentarily.

If you are sure you've eliminated any method of escape, maybe destroying them isn't even necessary. At worst, the quarry fills up & walkers start trampling each other out.

They seem to still have plenty of gasoline around. Molotovs or barrel bombs tossed over the cliff would be a good start.

Re: Quarry comments?

Could they not just have lead the zombies to the highest point and watch them fall off the cliff?

or

They had 3 or 4 rigs there, why not Molotov cocktail them...at least explode some tens of them before drawing them out. They had to have had gas in them (at some point), and I would bet they still had some then.

See that first zombie's flesh get ripped off trying to squeeze between those two truck trailers? It was like a freakin rain coat.

I was pretty sure Rick was going to eat it last night up until the horn.

My bet is on the Wolves sounding the horn. I think the mole is going to pull Carl in and he's going to get taken hostage, ultimately ending in Rick's death.

What I want to know is how did the people in Alexandria not have a zombie outbreak? They showed multiple graves within the walls last night meaning that others have died there. Were they already aware that people turn into zombies after they die and punctured the brain before burying them?

What I want to know is how did the people in Alexandria not have a zombie outbreak? They showed multiple graves within the walls last night meaning that others have died there. Were they already aware that people turn into zombies after they die and punctured the brain before burying them?

They have slowly recruited people, done minimal supply runs etc. They're not totally closed off from the world.

I was just heading this way...also surprised at no reactions yet.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, but why not try to destroy the walkers while they were still contained in the quarry? Why pick the plan with the most moving parts and potential complications?

I didn't get the quarry thing. First, how did they all get there and second, couldn't they do something to fry them in the quarry?

If they bury them quick enough then it wouldn't matter unless the grave was too shallow. Not sure about the lag time between death and resurrection though, seems to be getting shorter.

I was pretty sure Rick was going to eat it last night up until the horn.

My bet is on the Wolves sounding the horn. I think the mole is going to pull Carl in and he's going to get taken hostage, ultimately ending in Rick's death.

The Walking Dead is ultimately the story of Rick Grimes in the zombie apocolypse. If Rick dies the cameras should fade to black, show's over folks.

What turned me off about this episode and the whole series for that matter is how short sighted everyone is. After two years they kind of know how to survive. Leading that herd away is not a long term solution. We know there is heavy equipment around but everyone is hand digging. They could have sured up the blockades with piles of dirt or other large vehicles and then dumped fuel oil down the slope. The path to normalcy would be to thin out the numbers of walkers.

Yea, letting them out of the quarry didnt sit right with me either. They seem to have a great abundance of ordinance and fuel... A couple explosive devices could do a lot a damage to the walkers in the quarry. Then the rest are more manageable.

Like just about everyone here, I thought WTF? about the tactics they went with. I was pondering how to kill a kazillion zombies in a pit...........Then I just gave up and conceeded that I am not one of the show's writers. :D

Sure, it doesn't always make sense to us people in the real world (you know, the one that has Donald Trump as a Presidential candidate) But what the hell, it was a very good episode IMO and they made very good use of the monochrome sequences to separate the timelines and move the story on at breakneck speed.

I thought it was excellent!

Rick's group wants to make the townsfolk kill walkers hand to hand. They had a whole valley full. Take the townies and the kidos down to the ol' quarry for some zombie piking.

Of course, the hitch in that get along was the big rig falling away and letting them all out. We don't know how long it was from Rick's discovery to that happening. It seems like only a few days.

Perhaps they're not just letting them out, they're leading them to a specific place...?

Perhaps the striking first comment wasn't referring to striking the walkers, but rather someone else...?

Remember the Wolves are near.

:drunk:

Perhaps they're not just letting them out, they're leading them to a specific place...?

Perhaps the striking first comment wasn't referring to striking the walkers, but rather someone else...?

Remember the Wolves are near.

:drunk:

Crazy theory. They're not leading them anywhere other than away. I'm pretty sure they made that apparent. And I'm not entirely sure they know how close the Wolves are...

So much better than the season premier! Last week I was like: you know something is off with narration when you have to rely on "artistic devices"... but this episode was pretty solid. Carol is such a likable Sociopath now!

A very interesting episode, pretty sure that the only teenage girl in the apocalypse, Enid is working with the wolves. She leaves Carl a note with the same initials as what she was writing on various things at the beginning of the episode, Just Survive Somehow, does that mean she likes him and wants him to stay alive despite knowing the wolves will (try to) kill everyone? Or maybe she's just super paranoid and doesn't know who the wolves are, but ran anyway. Really enjoyed the whole "ding" casserole is done moment, it took me a long time to figure out what was making that sound.

How did Morgan get to the town so quickly when everyone else is apparently still out there? Did everyone else stay back to try to deal with the big zombie crisis? It looks like we may find out he answer next week. I loved the little bit at the end there, where Carol goes one way and Morgan the other, after Carol apparently realized she needs to be a little more compassionate and Morgan realized he needs to be a little less keen on keeping his opponents alive.

Aaron got to find out that his backpack led the wolves to Alexandria, much to his emotional distress. It's a reminder that maybe being a little too nice is a major problem for the Alexandrians. Should provide motivation for Aaron and a reason to bring him more front and center.

Finally, I loved that first wolves kill, where Carol is just standing there watching her neighbor smoke and *slice* guts everywhere!

omfg that was a great episode. The sudden machete attack totally caught me off guard.
I knew crazy Carol would be back in action this year. awesome.

Back