The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that was an unpleasant episode for pretty much anyone familiar with the show. SUPER MASSIVE SPOILERS FOLLOW A brief breakdown from my perspective:

An Episode Defined by Failure
Throughout the episode, things break down as the plan goes to hell. It starts with Darryl, who decides he's going to take his bike and head off to help Alexandria. In the meantime, Rick decides he's going to run all the way back to to the RV parked at point orange to try and lure the now stampeding undead away from Alexandria. Finally Glenn decides that he is going to try to set a fire in a building while the rest of the group recovers to lure the horde away. All of these fail, in fairly spectacular ways. Halfway back, Rick gives a speech over the walkie talkies that encourages Darryl to head back, meanwhile Rick is attacked by Wolves and the RV stalls leaving him in the middle of a zombie horde and last, but not least, Glenn and Nicholas are trapped by walkers, Nicholas shoots himself in the head, knocking Glenn into the horde as well.

Holy ****! Glenn is Dead?!
The title of the episode is "Thank You", which Nicholas says before he offs himself. Now, some websites posit that Glenn isn't actually dead, that the blood and entrails we see are Nicholas' and not Glenn's; that would certainly give the episode a dual meaning. These same websites point out that Glenn doesn't die under a horde of hungry zombies in the comics, but I'd point out (COMICS SPOILERS AHEAD) that Andrea is still alive and well in the comics (and she is Rick's love interest) while Carol long ago offed herself, clearly Robert Kirkman and co. are not afraid of changing the script from the comics. I'd also point out that in the comics, we don't have Darrryl, who is Ricks' right/left hand man in the show where Glenn often was. Overall, I'd say that the odds of Glenn not being dead are very, very slim, but I'll certainly concede it is possible.

Did The Wolves Have a Better Plan Than We Thought?
Last week we were left thinking that the Wolves' plan was pretty terrible...but what if it was smarter than we realized? If that truck had taken out the Alexandria main gates the zombies currently on their way from the zombie march would have flowed right into the gates, instead of roughly half of them heading for a fortified town. The Wolves seemed to have the wherewithal and tactical knowledge to try to ambush Rick as he was stalled on the road in the woods, either fleeing from Alexandria or dispatched to attack anyone that disrupted the plan. it's looking more and more likely that the Wolves that hit Alexandria were shock troops designed to weakened the defenses, not an outright attack.

Last week we were left thinking that the Wolves' plan was pretty terrible...but what if it was smarter than we realized? If that truck had taken out the Alexandria main gates the zombies currently on their way from the zombie march would have flowed right into the gates, instead of roughly half of them heading for a fortified town. The Wolves seemed to have the wherewithal and tactical knowledge to try to ambush Rick as he was stalled on the road in the woods, either fleeing from Alexandria or dispatched to attack anyone that disrupted the plan. it's looking more and more likely that the Wolves that hit Alexandria were shock troops designed to weakened the defenses, not an outright attack.

Not so sure about this portion of your synopsis. since those were the same wolves Morgan allowed to leave Alexandria it would seem they stumbled upon Rick by chance as they ran away. I think they are just maniacs set on destroying everyone and everything they come across. I don't think they are doing a lot of planning at all.
Rick seems to have gotten blood from a walker in the cut on his hand. Time to lop that baby off? In the comics Rick loses his hand to the Governor.

I think he was covered up and that wasn't his guts. I say he's still alive. Plus he wasn't on Talking dead...

I'm becoming less convinced that he died. People have covered themselves in guts before as "walker camo", so it could work here too. I didn't watch Talking Dead in its entirety (it's on DVR, so I might watch it tonight), but Glenn was conspicuously missing from the In Memoriam clip.

Of course, he could just get trampled by all the walkers bearing down that alley, but we already know how the show can play fast and loose with realism. ;)

Rick seems to have gotten blood from a walker in the cut on his hand. Time to lop that baby off? In the comics Rick loses his hand to the Governor.

Did the cut just come from his knife while he was killing the walkers on the highway? I didn't exactly catch what happened.

Not saying they won't make him lose the hand, but if blood in the cut is all it takes, surely they would all be zombies by now (with the amount of time they spend beat up and showered in gore).

Yeah in a lot of zombie shows blood will turn you, but it doesnt look like that's the case in TWD. Re: showering in it a few seasons ago etc.

I have a feeling Glenn survived. He'll show up in the season finale or close to it and save the day somehow. Maybe rolled under the trash bin and waited them out or like people mention, guts hide the smell.

It would be cheesy and he should be dead but I could see him playing a save-the-day suprise role at the start of an episode that was left to some against-all-odds cliffhanger. Who knows...

Holy ****! Glenn is Dead?!
The title of the episode is "Thank You", which Nicholas says before he offs himself. Now, some websites posit that Glenn isn't actually dead, that the blood and entrails we see are Nicholas' and not Glenn's; that would certainly give the episode a dual meaning. These same websites point out that Glenn doesn't die under a horde of hungry zombies in the comics, but I'd point out (COMICS SPOILERS AHEAD) that Andrea is still alive and well in the comics (and she is Rick's love interest) while Carol long ago offed herself, clearly Robert Kirkman and co. are not afraid of changing the script from the comics. I'd also point out that in the comics, we don't have Darrryl, who is Ricks' right/left hand man in the show where Glenn often was. Overall, I'd say that the odds of Glenn not being dead are very, very slim, but I'll certainly concede it is possible.

My co-worker posed that angle this morning, and I'll tell him what I told you. That would be stupid to keep him alive given the likelihood of the situation he would currently be in. He has a dead guy's blood all over him (not zombie blood, human blood) making him vulnerable and aromatic. Every time that the team covered themselves in entrails they came from the already dead, not the living.

If he's alive, the writers are going to stretch out that situation to the point of absurdity.

I think you give them too much credit. For starters, why wasn't a human person piloting the 18-wheeler? There was no logic in that at all.

The wolves are opportunistic, nothing more. They weren't trying to get the RV by choice. In fact, they should be dead right now.

My co-worker posed that angle this morning, and I'll tell him what I told you. That would be stupid to keep him alive given the likelihood of the situation he would currently be in. He has a dead guy's blood all over him (not zombie blood, human blood) making him vulnerable and aromatic. Every time that the team covered themselves in entrails they came from the already dead, not the living.

If he's alive, the writers are going to stretch out that situation to the point of absurdity.

I think you give them too much credit. For starters, why wasn't a human person piloting the 18-wheeler? There was no logic in that at all.

The wolves are opportunistic, nothing more. They weren't trying to get the RV by choice. In fact, they should be dead right now.

WHAT? Do you believe a zombie was driving?

The driver was shot from the tower, died and crashed. He then was a zombie by the time they got down there to the truck.

He then was a zombie by the time they got down there to the truck.

This is one facet that has been bugging the hell out of me with this show. How long does it take for one to turn after they die? In the begging it was at least 8-12 hours or longer and now it seems that within minutes they are zombies.

I think he had to/should have died. Guts cover the smell, but he had fresh blood on face, not rotten guts. They showed his face as he was supposedly being eaten. If he was somehow under the suicide guy, wouldn't they eat at Glenn's face because that wasn't under the guy, it was exposed, and again it was covered in fresh blood. I think there was way too many to somehow survive. I like the under the dumpster idea, but if he shimmied over to it wouldn't the movement attract them like the cars are doing?

This is one facet that has been bugging the hell out of me with this show. How long does it take for one to turn after they die? In the begging it was at least 8-12 hours or longer and now it seems that within minutes they are zombies.

It's always been pretty consistent. If you get bit it takes hours to die. But once you die, it's minutes to turn. Shane was the first time it showed a non-bitten person die and come back.

It's always been pretty consistent. If you get bit it takes hours to die. But once you die, it's minutes to turn. Shane was the first time it showed a non-bitten person die and come back.

I guess you're right. I was thinking about people getting bit taking forever to turn.

Another thought is that if the 18-wheeler couldn't break through the walls that means that the zombie hoard could not have either. They couldn't have the same net impact as the 18-wheeler which had no impact on the wall. There was no reason for this whole zombie-in-tow mission.

Another thought is that if the 18-wheeler couldn't break through the walls that means that the zombie hoard could not have either. They couldn't have the same net impact as the 18-wheeler which had no impact on the wall. There was no reason for this whole zombie-in-tow mission.

Eh - having a good hundred thousand zombies surrounding your town can't be good. With that amount they'd probably wind up trampling eachother and slowly towering up over the walls. Or figuring out how to walk up those beams. But mainly the people wouldn't be able to make food runs and wind up starving. Remember, they need to expand the walls so they can farm.

Eh - having a good hundred thousand zombies surrounding your town can't be good. With that amount they'd probably wind up trampling eachother and slowly towering up over the walls. Or figuring out how to walk up those beams. But mainly the people wouldn't be able to make food runs and wind up starving. Remember, they need to expand the walls so they can farm.

They could also demo a few houses to make land and build trebuchets.

I'm still waiting for some sort of "super-zombie" to appear. Been waiting 6 seasons for it to happen but hasn't yet and probably won't. Closest we got was that fat bloated zombie bastard in the well outside of Hershel's farm.

I'm still waiting for some sort of "super-zombie" to appear. Been waiting 6 seasons for it to happen but hasn't yet and probably won't. Closest we got was that fat bloated zombie bastard in the well outside of Hershel's farm.

What about pack of zombie wolves (animals), bears, dogs or something else fast moving? That's what I've been waiting for.

Maybe Glenn went into shock, passed out, and the zombies thought he was dead because of the smell? I still think his exposed face should have been chewed off.

Here is a theory for you guys to wrap your beer filled brains around:

So I was talking with a buddy at work who watches it in Netflix so he isn't caught up. Anyway, he mentioned that in the second to last episode of last season Daryl asked the gay guy if they had ever turned anyone away from the town. I guess the guy said they had once. It was a family and they had a kid. They drove them out so many miles and left them with a day's worth of supplies. I vaguely remember the scene. Do you think that could have been Enid's family they showed in the beginning of this season?

So I was talking with a buddy at work who watches it in Netflix so he isn't caught up. Anyway, he mentioned that in the second to last episode of last season Daryl asked the gay guy if they had ever turned anyone away from the town. I guess the guy said they had once. It was a family and they had a kid. They drove them out so many miles and left them with a day's worth of supplies. I vaguely remember the scene. Do you think that could have been Enid's family they showed in the beginning of this season?

Damn, don't remember that scene at all...clever thinking though ;)

Maybe Glenn went into shock, passed out, and the zombies thought he was dead because of the smell? I still think his exposed face should have been chewed off.

Here is a theory for you guys to wrap your beer filled brains around:

I like it...but nobody else mentioned kicking Enid and her family out. Why would they let Enid back in if they already knew who she was?

The 18 wheeler hit the watchtower first, blunting the impact. Also, having a massive horde of zombies at your gates makes it difficult to get out and scavenge, which they would need to do at some point. Finally, if enough bodies piled up the zombies could just walk over the walls.

Michonne should have piked Betsy's husband when the zombies were eating him against the gate. Damn. Give a guy that much mercy.

As for Glenn, yeah, I think we're going to see an epic, heroic survival. Why leave it open ended if he's dead? When a character is so obviously dead as Glenn, shows just show it. They made a cliff hanger so we could be amazed at how he survives.

Or they're trying to fake us out, and he's dead.

Or, he channels some supernatural ZA genetic mutation evolution superpower, bursts from under the horde like the Hulk, and flies away on blood soaked gossamer wings.

I could be wrong, but from what I remember of that scene, Aaron said they expelled two men and a woman.

I wonder if the girl took judith.

I was really expecting that to be dramatic ending to the episode before last:

Wolves are dead/fled. Coral goes back to the kitchen and finds Enid's JSS note. The timer goes off, he pulls the food out of the oven and sets it down on the counter...right next to the baby monitor, which shows an empty crib. Cut to black. DUN DUN DUNNN.

But maybe that's too formulaic. That's why I'm not a TWD writer.

Michonne should have piked Betsy's husband when the zombies were eating him against the gate. Damn. Give a guy that much mercy.

As for Glenn, yeah, I think we're going to see an epic, heroic survival. Why leave it open ended if he's dead? When a character is so obviously dead as Glenn, shows just show it. They made a cliff hanger so we could be amazed at how he survives.

Or they're trying to fake us out, and he's dead.

Or, he channels some supernatural ZA genetic mutation evolution superpower, bursts from under the horde like the Hulk, and flies away on blood soaked gossamer wings.

Yeah them just watching that guy get his back munched on was ridiculous! Kill a brotha goddamn.

Going to be really upset with the show if Glenn somehow survived it / gets away. Cheapens everything.

Latest posts

Back