The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad Morgan is back and hopefully will remain with the group and grow to be a strong character. I really thought he was going to be a gonner based on those dismembered limbs from the previous episode. The opening scene made me cringe just waiting for Morgan to be shot.

Opening scene was awesome, that guy gives me the chills. Don't know if anyone watched the final seconds they show the red poncho guy as a zombie with a wolves not far written on a car.

I'm glad they still have the camp, I was bummed when the lost terminus so quickly.

I can't wait to see what happens next. Morgan's mantra of "All life is precious" throughout the episode was glaring. His first image of Rick after all this time is of him executing someone while covered in blood. Should be interesting.

In Talking Dead, Norman Reedus gave the perspective that Darryl might be thinking that they're taking Alexandria. The last time he spoke to Rick, the thought was that they'd just take over if the Alexandria folks weren't falling in line. Now, I don't think Darryl is just going to go in guns (or bows) blazing, but who knows.

The thing about The Walking Dead, is:

They can be in the middle of nowhere, with noting going on, rest for one second and be surrounded by "Walkers" then they can be in the middle of a zombie fight, and pause for x-number of minute consoling a dying friend and nothing happens.

I love the show by the way.

Did anybody else think anything about Gabriel not getting any blood on his white shirt? I had an idea in my head that he was going to call himself gods assassin. After ripping the walkers head off, and smashing the corpse brains he remained "pure." After the way he entered the gates and had that look on his face I thought he was going on a killing spree and Rick would be right about an eye for an eye justice.

It's an interesting way to end the season, the show reiterates that "Rick is right, even when he's wrong". Pete went all stupid and killed Reg, so Rick had to kill him. The soft Alexandrians were too lax with the gate guard, so walkers got in and Rick had to kill them. Like I said earlier, Rick wasn't wrong last episode, he was just doing things for the wrong reasons. The Wolves look to be the next big baddies, very pumped for next season.

Do we absolutely know that Rick shot Pete? Don't recall seeing a dead Pete, is it possible Rick was just giving him a warning shot?

Do we know absolutely? No. But do we really think Rick just fired a "warning shot" at a guy held down on the ground after Deanna told him to "do it"? I'm fairly certain porch dick is dead.

Do we absolutely know that Rick shot Pete? Don't recall seeing a dead Pete, is it possible Rick was just giving him a warning shot?

Pete was in the "In Memoriam" segment on Talking Dead, FWIW.

Chris Hardwick also publicly apologized for coining the name "Porch Dick". :D

Wow!!!! What a way to end the season!!

What really pisses me off though is all the commercials. I guarantee they made the finale 90 minutes just so they could add an extra 15 minutes of commercials knowing there would be 15 million plus viewers.

Prob so. You could always pay to stream or DVR and start halfway thru and play catch up.

Yep. Pretty cool.

But Glen should have capped that loser. It's all fun and games until you shoot me. Then the gloves are off.

At the least he shoulda beat him down and left him behind.

P. S. How did the five of them get back in if nobody was manning the gate?

So can we assume that all the "W" walkers are wolves that Morgan knocked out and left behind, in cars, tied up, etc.?

After starting to get annoyed with how this whole *****ebury thing was going I've got to say they pulled it all together in a great way.Already Jonesing for next season.

So can we assume that all the "W" walkers are wolves that Morgan knocked out and left behind, in cars, tied up, etc.?

No those walkers were marked by the wolves who are using them as a weapon. I wonder how many guys are in the wolves gang. It cant be just those 2

P. S. How did the five of them get back in if nobody was manning the gate?

That's what I was wondering. I expected part of the cliffhanger to be Glenn killing Nicholas, but stuck outside the wall and badly injured, with walkers attracted to the sound of the gunshot.

That's what I was wondering. I expected part of the cliffhanger to be Glenn killing Nicholas, but stuck outside the wall and badly injured, with walkers attracted to the sound of the gunshot.

Deeana's other son, that let Gabriel close the gate, went to man it after Rick strolled in with the walker.

For whomever it was a couple seasons ago that said they thought Carol was hot:I was like really? She's got no bod ,got no looks,got no sexy persona.Got none of that Kate Upton thang going on.Well you got me .I think Scarol is getting more attractive every time she kills someone ,or threatens to.I'd totally take her to pound town.

My wife thinks the Wolves are three or four people. We both think they have no interest in being good people or building any society. They're into revenge.

Maybe I heard wrong, but at the end of Talking Dead, didn't they say humans would not be the primary threat next season? Maybe the Wolves will get rolled quick. But if they mean the Wolves zombie army is the threat, I call shenanigans because the Wolves made that army. That makes them, humans, still the primary threat.

I'm going to check out the spin-off. I'll be interested to see the disaster unfold.
I was talking to my brother tonight. We both liked that the season ended by tying up many of the current conflicts: Glen lived, Rick stays, Seth and Eugene made up, the grenade damaged girl woke up, Morgan returned, Pete caught a bullet.

Did anybody else think anything about Gabriel not getting any blood on his white shirt? I had an idea in my head that he was going to call himself gods assassin. After ripping the walkers head off, and smashing the corpse brains he remained "pure." After the way he entered the gates and had that look on his face I thought he was going on a killing spree and Rick would be right about an eye for an eye justice.

It stuck with me the whole time too. Had a pretty white T on that sure didnt get dirty. Especially after bashing two heads in. Gotta be something.

Glenn has to have a broken left clavicle from that shot btw. Thats going to take some healing. With the fight he put up, I would have killed that bi*ch too. Rules of the game

Loved this episode. They even touched on the point I did... Luck runs out. Alexandriites along with other groups all suffer from luck. Rick & co dont! They make sh*t happen... They are luck... They know how to survive. Carol really upped herself in my book as well. So relentless. I just hope Morgan doesnt try and make Rick soft again (though I agree with Morgan's point of view, it doesnt work in this type of setting anymore)

If Rick did shoot someone then who did he shoot? Did he shoot Pete and kill him or did he shoot Reg to stop him from changing? Deanna just said "do it" not Kill him. No one wants to see a loved one change.

If Rick did shoot someone then who did he shoot? Did he shoot Pete and kill him or did he shoot Reg to stop him from changing? Deanna just said "do it" not Kill him. No one wants to see a loved one change.

That's a good point I didn't think about. The other sticky point with Pete is that he's the camp's sole doctor...

would you trust him to work on you now? I wouldn't. They will banish him and he will bring the wolves back with him. Just like Rick says, You can't have people out there knowing about the place.

would you trust him to work on you now? I wouldn't. They will banish him and he will bring the wolves back with him. Just like Rick says, You can't have people out there knowing about the place.

Making an assumption for a moment that he isn't dead, then no I wouldn't trust him to in his current mental state. However, after he calmed down, if I had to choose between certain and death and having Pete operate on me, I'd choose to at least have a chance at living with Pete behind the scalpel.

This being said, I think he's too far gone and too much of a danger to keep around... But his medical skills are an asset that will be sorely missed in a community like Alexandria.

if I had to choose between certain death and having Pete operate on me, I'd choose to at least have a chance at living with Pete behind the scalpel.

... his medical skills are an asset that will be sorely missed in a community like Alexandria.

What they need are more strong & loyal people like Rick, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn, Morgan, and Carol... People like them will keep you alive, fed, & safe much longer than an otherwise useless, drunk, abusive, grade C doctor like Pete.

Skills can always be learned in the apocalypse. You don't need a priest if you have faith. You don't need a police badge to uphold the law. You don't need a doctor if you have a machete and fire capable of chopping off and cauterizing infected limbs to save a member of the group. Crude measures are enough; and if they aren't, well then your injuries would have probably led to your death under anyone's care. Having a doctor around will not change the fact that your life expectancy has now been drastically reduced. You're living day-to-day and only the strong survive.

Also, no one is worried about plastic surgery here. And we never actually saw Pete apply his so-called skills, which makes me think of him like Eugene in a way... All promises with no action to support them. So you can go ahead and choose Pete for first choice on your kickball team and I'll take a badass instead.

I thought they said on Talking Dead that Pete was the one Rick executed. I know I just read an article with Andrew Lincoln, that presented it that way.

What they need are more strong & loyal people like Rick, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn, and Carol... That will keep them alive much longer than an otherwise useless, drunk, abusive, grade C doctor would. Your chances of staying alive and safe with the former would be much greater. So you can go ahead and choose Pete for first choice on your kickball team and I'll take a badass instead.

Skills can always be learned in the apocalypse. You don't need a priest if you have faith. You don't need a police badge to uphold the law. You don't need a doctor if you have a machete and fire capable of chopping off and cauterizing infected limbs to save a member of the group. Crude measures are enough; and if they aren't, well then your injuries would have probably led to your death under anyone's care. Also, no one is worried about plastic surgery here. And we never actually saw Pete apply his so-called skills, which makes me think of him like Eugene in a way. All promises with no actions to support them.

I get the useless, drunk, abusive part... But what makes you call him a grade C doctor? Both Deanna and Aaron told the group of lives he had saved and surgeries he performed. He may be a bad person, but there is nothing presented that would make us question his medical skills. Of course, we could certainly question his willingness to use them or even abuse them.

Some skills can be learned in the apocalypse. Learning to be a doctor can't simply be learned easily. Sure, people can be taught how to suture and how to dole out a few antibiotics, but that's not nearly equivalent to being a doctor. The many years of medical education, clinical experience, and clinical judgment can't be easily taught during an apocalypse like this.

And your statement about crude measures being enough isn't accurate at all. Without simple medical care, people die of what we consider silly mundane things. Physicians are able to recognize and treat these problems. Laypersons who have learned basic medical skills likely will not have the knowledge base to diagnose and treat these problems. In an apocalyptic scenario such as this, there is more to be concerned about than a crude patch job. In a trauma situation, you need to be able to both stop the immediate bleeding, stabilize the patient, surgically correct what needs to be corrected, keep the patient alive and in homeostasis, and prevent infection. Saying that "crude measures are enough" is WAY oversimplifying things, and is frankly just plain wrong.

But what do I know? I'm only graduating medical school next month...

And by the way, it's poor form to cut up my post, quote it, and then reply as if that was my complete thought.

what makes you call him a grade C doctor? Both Deanna and Aaron told the group of lives he had saved and surgeries he performed.

I guess. He seemed like a hack to me. Herschel was only a Vet, and I'd rather have him offer me medical care. But really, Maggie or Carol could have done just as good of a job of administering antibiotics or patching up a wound.

I think you are expecting modern medicine, equipment, a sanitized operating room, and a team of skilled surgeons... which is not the case in this apocalypse. They're not transplanting livers or creating artificial lungs here.

Some skills can be learned in the apocalypse. Learning to be a doctor can't simply be learned easily. Sure, people can be taught how to suture and how to dole out a few antibiotics, but that's not nearly equivalent to being a doctor. The many years of medical education, clinical experience, and clinical judgment can't be easily taught during an apocalypse like this.

Which you don't really need for a group this small. Maybe if they entered a military safe zone and were attempting to find a cure, but you don't need someone like Pete in Alexandria. The group has the ability to patch themselves up just fine.

And your statement about crude measures being enough isn't accurate at all. Without simple medical care, people die of what we consider silly mundane things. Physicians are able to recognize and treat these problems. Laypersons who have learned basic medical skills likely will not have the knowledge base to diagnose and treat these problems. In an apocalyptic scenario such as this, there is more to be concerned about than a crude patch job. In a trauma situation, you need to be able to both stop the immediate bleeding, stabilize the patient, surgically correct what needs to be corrected, keep the patient alive and in homeostasis, and prevent infection. Saying that "crude measures are enough" is WAY oversimplifying things, and is frankly just plain wrong.

But what do I know? I'm only graduating medical school next month....

Of course, but this is a television show. My arguments are on that basis alone. Suspension of disbelief... We saw crude measures used, and they worked. They did not have anything more than a machete, gauze, and alcohol. In real life, and in that situation, Herschel would probably have had less than a 20% chance at living after he lost his leg. Simply pouring 40% abv Vodka over the wound, wrapping it up and waiting, is not going to be something a skilled Doctor would put his/her hopes on.

And by the way, it's poor form to cut up my post, quote it, and then reply as if that was my complete thought.

Everything else you said was not relevant. I did it to save space and narrow down the main point, not to discredit you. No one wants to read blocks of irrelevant re-quotes.

I get the useless, drunk, abusive part... But what makes you call him a grade C doctor? Both Deanna and Aaron told the group of lives he had saved and surgeries he performed. He may be a bad person, but there is nothing presented that would make us question his medical skills. Of course, we could certainly question his willingness to use them or even abuse them.

But what do I know? I'm only graduating medical school next month...

Poor form avoided.

Sure, a doctor can be a huge help. But I think an entire party of people who are loyal and strong and know basic first aid are better off that having a sh**-for-brains who used to be the best doctor on the planet. And on top of that, I'm sure they're working with very limited supplies so I can't image he'd really be able to do all that much.

Remember, all those years of med school can be wiped out in a second with one bite. I think you're just being biased ;)

I'd choose Darryl over a team of Petes. Or even a platoon of Petes... no, wait... a platoon would provide tons of bait/buffer.

I guess. He seemed like a hack to me. Herschel was only a Vet, and I'd rather have him offer me medical care. But really, Maggie or Carol could have done just as good of a job of administering antibiotics or patching up a wound.

I think you are expecting modern medicine, equipment, a sanitized operating room, and a team of skilled surgeons... which is not the case in this apocalypse. They're not transplanting livers or creating artificial lungs here.

Which you don't really need for a group this small. Maybe if they entered a military safe zone and were attempting to find a cure, but you don't need someone like Pete in Alexandria. The group has the ability to patch themselves up just fine.

I think that you don't have a grasp on medicine at all, which is fine, of course. However, you are making absurd assertions here based on a complete lack of knowledge in this field. You've dumbed it down to either crude measures or organ transplantation. That is what is known as a false dilemma fallacy.

There is an in-between, such as recognizing and treating a small infection with appropriate antibiotics (and I stress appropriate, not just any antibiotic that anyone can administer), or raiding pharmacies for thyroid medication, for example. Did you know that what is now a common, mundane, easily treated disease, hypothyroidism, used to be deadly, because they had no medication for it?

Of course, but this is a television show. My arguments are on that basis alone. Suspension of disbelief... We saw crude measures used, and they worked. They did not have anything more than a machete, gauze, and alcohol.

Of course we're suspending disbelief... But you're trying to reason why they don't need a physician... and your reasoning is just plain wrong, and conceived through ignorance (in medicine; not using it in a derogatory sense).

Everything else you said was not relevant. I did it to save space and narrow down the main point, not to discredit you. No one wants to read blocks of irrelevant re-quotes.

Listen, you removed two sentences, one of which completely negated a big portion of your response to me. You didn't do anyone any favors by trimming down a large block of text, and you certainly didn't save much space. Trimming a long post is one thing. Cutting out parts to suit your response is another. You're being dishonest.

Lol, stop taking yourself so seriously buddy. It sounds to me that you're personally offended (being pre-med and all) because my opinion is that having a Doctor in Rick's group is pretty much useless.

Poor form avoided.

Sure, a doctor can be a huge help. But I think an entire party of people who are loyal and strong and know basic first aid are better off that having a sh**-for-brains who used to be the best doctor on the planet. And on top of that, I'm sure they're working with very limited supplies so I can image he'd really be able to do all that much.

Remember, all those years of med school can be wiped out in a second with one bite. I think you're just being biased ;)

I'd choose Darryl over a team of Petes. Or even a platoon of Petes... no, wait... a platoon would provide tons of bait/buffer.

I agreed that Pete needed to be gone. That was the part that bobbrews snipped out of my post... and the part that pissed me off, since I was then arguing against a point that I really never made or believed in.

The point was made that a doctor wasn't needed. And the reasons why were simply not valid. That was what I was arguing against. And of course I'm biased... But I'm also knowledgeable on this subject. As an army medic who has done three overseas tours, two of them combat tours, and is now finishing medical school, I have a really good idea of how important good medical care is in a bad situation.

And people tend to forget about mundane problems when bad stuff happens. They get tunnel-vision and think about patching up severed limbs and such. Overseas, 95% of what we saw and treated were minor clinic type things. If we weren't there to treat this minor stuff (and we had very rudimentary equipment and a small arsenal of meds), we wouldn't have a healthy fighting force. We do minor fixes to avoid doing major fixes later on. The same goes in a TWD type of situation.

Lol, stop taking yourself so seriously buddy. It sounds to me that you're personally offended (being pre-med and all) because my opinion is that having a Doctor in Rick's group is pretty much useless.

I was personally offended by you snipping my post, and then replying to my snipped post. I will own that. But you should be cognizant of this in the future. Snipping a post for brevity is one thing, but how you did it was another.

As far as being premed (which I'm actually not. I'm in med school, just finishing up), that is not what offends me. That just gives me a better insight on this particular discussion.

I was personally offended by you snipping my post, and then replying to my snipped post. I will own that. But you should be cognizant of this in the future. Snipping a post for brevity is one thing, but how you did it was another.

As far as being premed (which I'm actually not. I'm in med school, just finishing up), that is not what offends me. That just gives me a better insight on this particular discussion.

Well the point I'm trying to make (and I'm sure bobbrews is as well) is that there is absolutely no amount of medical skill that would justify keeping Pete around/alive.

A doctor who is unreliable at best due to alcoholism and causing physical and mental anguish for my fellow survivors would be one of the first people I sacrificed if I were in charge. Who needs his nonsense in a survival situation? We went through this with Drunkard Bob last year; Darryl lambasted him for his alcoholism and threatened to leave or kill him ( I can't recall). To his credit, Bob made it work. It should be no different with Pete; and Pete didn't make it work.

While pondering the question, I decided that I'd rather have a functional nursing student or a functional veterinarian on hand than a drunk doctor in the apocalypse.

No surgeon is needed in Alexandria....well until someone gets appendicitis, or is shot (sorry Glen), or has some sort of trauma that causes internal bleeding.

Anyone with any medical training can replace Pete the surgeon. So which Alexandrian does that nominate because I don't recall ever hearing any mention of a Physician, nurse, or even a freaking vet in the town. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but no one has mentioned one.

And before we get too deep of though into this, remember folks, this is a world where babies don't need formula and grow just fine and while a walker bite will kill you, having your face that is full of open sores (Rick) be covered in zombie brains will not.

Apparently, things like staph infection do not exist in this world. In reality, with team **** magnet doing the things they do, at least half would be dead from such boring things like this.

But it's a show about dead people eating live people and sometimes live people eating live people on AMC, not a medical drama or documentary.

So repeat to yourselves it's just a show, I should really just relax.....

It looks like Rosita is the new nurse/physician, she did mention in a previous episode that she got some medical training from someone in their previous group.

Back