The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let it tangent, the show doesn't have enough "talking dead" or speculation to fill the whole summer (BTW it is summer here. Only 2 months or so early) And we all obviously like zombie lore (at least those of us still here) and the **** has gotten interesting!

Zombie Strippers SUCKED. Too many fake tits and (YES I did say that) no plot or acting.

Was Zombies vs strippers any good? Looks like the strippers at least fight back.

FIDO is an AWESOME netflix streamer. there is hinted at inter.....necronomic (I was gonna say interracial, but that aint right) flirtation and attraction, but it is squeaky clean on that front. AWESOME creativity and acting. funny as HELL.

I would put Shaun of the Dead in my top five movies. It was brilliant. It was so brilliant, I actually paid to see Run Fatboy Run in the theaters. Yikes.

I liked Zombieland too, Shaun of the Dead is better but I enjoyed Zombieland. I am interested to see how World War Z will turn out. The book was pretty good. Definitely an interesting take on it focusing on the global aspect rather than a group of people.

Henry22 said:
I liked Zombieland too, Shaun of the Dead is better but I enjoyed Zombieland. I am interested to see how World War Z will turn out. The book was pretty good. Definitely an interesting take on it focusing on the global aspect rather than a group of people.

Yeah I wonder how well this will translate into a movie..

Shaun of the Dead is also my favorite zomcom but I am quite fond of Zombieland.

I'm reading World War Z now and it's lived up to the hype. The movie was just pushed back to a summer 2013 release.

I've read so many thinks about how WWZ the movie has strayed way far away from the book. I'm thinking it's best not to get out hopes up.

This is one of the MANY articles I've stumbled upon.

World War Z movie synopsis is nothing like the book, internet melts down

Remember when the World War Z movie held such promise? Now, not so much. Paramount has released the synopsis for its film adaptation of Max Brooks' seminal zombie war story, and people are not happy about the massive deviations.

The internet is rising up like a last-ditch offensive to stop a zombie army. Read the collected rants below.

Here's the official synopsis from Paramount:

"The story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself."

As you can see, rather than taking place after the bloody Zombie Wars, this movie will be set during the beginning of the outbreak. And Pitt will be running around to try and stop it. So basically, it's every zombie movie ever made that no one saw. It sounds like this adaptation won't even be a shadow of the original novel. The synopsis reads like the producers cherry-picked a few battles and then wove them together around Pitt's character. This is disheartening, to say the least, and we're not alone in our disappointment. Plenty of folks feel the same way, and here's why they're pissed:

Film School Rejects thinks it's all just a damn shame.

f you're going to get fans of the book excited, only to take away what makes the book unique, what's the point? To make a movie In Name Only that uses the title as a hook to get people into the theater before switching your bait?

Why does the adaptation formula seem to be:
1. Find something people like.
2. Option it.
3. Change that thing people like.

Now, instead of a slam dunk, [Director Marc] Forster and company will now have to convince fans that this is worth checking out (and not just another zombie movie to add to the pile). That's a shame.

Topless Robot was less than thrilled:

God damn it. The thing that made World War Z special — and the thing that makes The Walking Dead special, for that matter — is that it's not about the zombies, it's about the people. WWZ makes it a global history, where we get to see how a zombie invasion shaped society in general and various places in specific. It's not about one soldier who trots the goddamned globe fighting zombies. That's just another goddamned regular zombie movie, albeit one with a broader scope. Is it really that hard for Hollywood to wrap their heads around a zombie story that isn't a ****ty action-horror film?

Bloody Disgusting's headline sounded a bit disappointed, and almost a little sad:

World War Z' Might Not Be What We Hoped For

Screen Rant attempted to calm the masses asking why we were even surprised, this isn't new in Hollywood, but not before slipping this little zinger in:

Brooks' book explored – among other things – how the world would or wouldn't be able to cope with a massive disaster like a zombie apocalypse. The sci-fi/horror premise was a great allegorical frame for a lot of relevant political, social and moral questions. This movie is basically your tried-and-true (and often failed) race-against-time action/thriller. You probably wouldn't even bat an eye if [they] were to lie and say that Roland Emmerich was directing.

But probably the best rant against Marc Forster and his shallow of an adaptation of an Oral History of the Zombie War is from Peter Hall at Movies.com:

Paramount's World War Z is not Max Brooks' World War Z. As anyone who has read (and no doubt subsequently fallen in love with) the latter, it's about an agent of the UN's Postwar Commission who goes around the world to interview survivors of the zombie apocalypse in order to understand exactly how it happened. He's just a researcher trying to unearth facts that the UN might not want to get out whilst making sense of this big, bloody, global brain-eating mess. He is NOT an employee "in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic." He's not even a little bit of that. Not even a fraction.

But what do you all think? It is pretty early in the game for the film, plus who knows who writes the synopsis for movies (that are still filming). Perhaps it's all just one giant misunderstanding, or perhaps WWZ the movie will surprised us all. Can this movie be saved? Is it even a World War Z movie anymore?

I knew it strayed but I didn't know it was that different. The director is pretty good I think, can't think of any movies he directed off the top of my head but I know he's better than Emmerich.

So it's definitely not the same plot but it could still be good, could bring the key world.

Hollywood has a way of f'ing up a lot of things unfortunately.

.......well, we could just reference the Horror win thread, but let's distill it to Zombies:

The Horde-AWESOME
FIDO - Awesome
Shaun of the Dead-Awesome
Zombie Strippers - 2 tits down

*WIP....will need to update later*

Not "technically" zombies, 28 Days Later is great. I know they are "infected" but I'm not that big of a zombie geek to fret over it.

slomo said:
If Paramount has gone that far from the WWZ book then it will be the biggest flop in cinema history.

Just because it differs from the book doesn't mean it will be bad. The director is pretty talented as is Brad Pitt.

Grantef, I wish they would have stayed true to the book.

Not "technically" zombies, 28 Days Later is great. I know they are "infected" but I'm not that big of a zombie geek to fret over it.

.......well, we could just reference the Horror win thread, but let's distill it to Zombies:

The Horde-AWESOME
FIDO - Awesome
Shaun of the Dead-Awesome
Zombie Strippers - 2 tits down
+
28 days - solid
Dog House - Awesome (also zombie-esque but wtf)
Dead Girl - 4 depraved stars out of 5

*WIP....will need to update later*

Still a WIP

I haven't read the entire thread, just the last few pages, so this might have already been discussed, but am I the only one who wouldn't care a bit if Carl became a walker's kids happy meal? That character and the child actor just get on my nerves.

If they are going to stick with the comic, then he's an important character in the overall scheme of things, and he ends up being one of the few of the original cast to survive....

DEAD GIRL was AWESOME!!!!

A gritty, hard hitting look at Zombie abuse in America.

Humorless, but nonetheless chilling and well done. Well acted. (I think somebody said it wasn't??)

Great ending.

28 Days later is probably the most realistic of all of the 'zombie' movies.

Sort of like extreme rabies, but for people.

Oh god man.....how do I.....??

Ok. Good flick....wait, I can't do this.

OK the part where their piece of **** car goes through the tunnel and magically 4 wheels over the top of a giant car crash/traffic jam?

Ruined it for me.

Sorry.

SO unrealistic.

Oh god man.....how do I.....??

Ok. Good flick....wait, I can't do this.

OK the part where their piece of **** car goes through the tunnel and magically 4 wheels over the top of a giant car crash/traffic jam?

Ruined it for me.

Sorry.

SO unrealistic.

Meh. What's one unrealistic scene to an otherwise stellar movie? Excellent cinematography, interesting characters, awesome action scenes, and often inappropriately-appropriate music to accompany.

Meh. What's one unrealistic scene to an otherwise stellar movie? Excellent cinematography, interesting characters, awesome action scenes, and often inappropriately-appropriate music to accompany.

I Know! I agree, but Meh doesn't get it.

It's like if care bears came out and saved a little girl in TWD in one 5 second scene.....

Meh? I think not.

Watch that car crash scene again. It is effing BIZARRE.

Getting back to TWD's season finale, Why the hell did they not reinforce the fence at the farm? Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked they're off the farm. However, that fence they had was fallible to even the simple bovine. Let alone a mass of zedwords.

Getting back to TWD's season finale, Why the hell did they not reinforce the fence at the farm? Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked they're off the farm. However, that fence they had was fallible to even the simple bovine. Let alone a mass of zedwords.

Same reason they didn't just run over all of the walkers in their RV's and SUV's.

too easy. (although the fence would have nbeen a little more of a PITA)

JohnnyO said:

You get enough zombies behind that fence it will either fall or a ramp would be created by zombie bodies and they would be able to walk right over it. I agree though that the fence did seem a bit weak!

It was a pretty cool sequence watching the buildup of walkers then break through. They probably should have just used the same barriers that they use at concerts. Unless you get the random crowdsurfing zombie.

Same reason they didn't just run over all of the walkers in their RV's and SUV's.

too easy. (although the fence would have nbeen a little more of a PITA)

Sure, too easy.... until one of them gets wrapped around an axle.

Jeez people, gotta think about these things. I really feel like I'm going to be a lot better at the zedword apocalypse than most. :D

A person wrapped around the axle would stop an SUV?

I welcome your practical knowledge if it exceeds mine about the physics of axles and human corpses, but try and be a little less smug please!;) (how many people have you mowed down?)

A moat would have been best.

Use fences to funnell the Zeds into a moat or deep hole. Why didn't they learn from the natural mud trap?

*A zombie proofed axle would have been more believeable than an unlimited shotgun!*

Wrapped around an axle? Vehicles don't have exposed spinning axles anymore. I'd take my chances.

The thing that kills me is that all that time just milling around, you'd think someone would have the idea of reinforcing one of the vehicles for some run-down escape. Instead of the stupid RV, they should have picked up a school bus and barred off the glass.

Wrapped around an axle? Vehicles don't have exposed spinning axles anymore. I'd take my chances.

The thing that kills me is that all that time just milling around, you'd think someone would have the idea of reinforcing one of the vehicles for some run-down escape. Instead of the stupid RV, they should have picked up a school bus and barred off the glass.

This. And no need to do anything to reinforce the side windows. Nobody could ever get those opened more than an inch as far as I remember.

And when you did youd wind up slamming your finger in it and dropping the f-bomb. Then the bus driver would write you up for profanity even after you displayed your bleeding finger (I hope you get hemorrhoids Pearl). Frigging school bus windows.
This. And no need to do anything to reinforce the side windows. Nobody could ever get those opened more than an inch as far as I remember.

Back