The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was thinking around the CV Boot area where there are spinning parts. Hey, you got decaying pieces attached to tendons and ligaments and that could get jammed up somewhere real quick.

Wrapped around an axle? Vehicles don't have exposed spinning axles anymore. I'd take my chances.

The thing that kills me is that all that time just milling around, you'd think someone would have the idea of reinforcing one of the vehicles for some run-down escape. Instead of the stupid RV, they should have picked up a school bus and barred off the glass.
maybe no one has welding skills or ever watched the A team. i'd be all over modifying some kind of mad max deathmobile...

Lol, I must be a zombie as I love some rogue deadguy.

Oh wait! I did get stuck in a guy's axle once. Didn't even slow him down......;)

It'd gonna be kind of tough finding 220 to hook up your welder to.

All portable generators must have also caught the virus :mug:

Did I see electric lights on in the farmhouse? They must have a gen. Even if not, it's likely that all homesteads in that area have one. Farms often have a big gen and welder in the barn to constantly fix farm equipment.

Actually, its not entirely unfeasible that some areas would still have grid-supplied electricity. I've read that nuclear reactors, hydrothermal, and geothermal plants would continue to run for extended periods of time without human intervention before various systems begin to break down.

Ideal zombie getaway would be in the middle of nowhere to avoid large numbers, hopefully utilizing the terrain such as high elevation, rocks, or rivers to make it even harder to access.

A couple acres at most because anything larger is hard to defend. A perimeter fence of at least 10 feet surround by a moat and on the other side a considerable ditch (6ft or more deep) with another fence.

Then you would have plenty of solar panels and wind turbines for power. You wouldn't be able to turn everything on but the essentials. A garden or field large enough to grow food and several animals as well. That along with plenty of stocked food and foraging and you might just be able to survive.

I understand the requirement to suspend disbelief in these types of stories but I think I need to understand the constructed world here a little better. Are the walking dead decaying at a rate that is the same as a regular non-reanimated dead body? If so, the story would be over by now. If not, how long is it going to take for all originally infected walkers to reach a point of decay that they are no longer a real threat? A couple weeks?

In a zombie movie, it's over before you need to thing about the details. In a long term series like this, they have the ability to really explore the details. The only problem is, they didn't think it was going to run this long when they first set the stage.

I understand the requirement to suspend disbelief in these types of stories but I think I need to understand the constructed world here a little better. Are the walking dead decaying at a rate that is the same as a regular non-reanimated dead body? If so, the story would be over by now. If not, how long is it going to take for all originally infected walkers to reach a point of decay that they are no longer a real threat? A couple weeks?

I think they're self-regnerative. Like starfish, only cuter.

Bobby_M said:

In a zombie movie, it's over before you need to thing about the details. In a long term series like this, they have the ability to really explore the details. The only problem is, they didn't think it was going to run this long when they first set the stage.

I'm not sure if TWD has ever touched on this. In the Brooks books, the zombie virus delays the normal process of decay. I think something like the bacteria etc that cause decay don't like the infected flesh.

I'm no microbiologist but from my bacteriology course, when it comes to bacteria, they can find a way. If they can live 7 miles under the water at hydrothermal vents that are extremely hot and toxic and still survive, well zombie flesh can't be that bad.

Maybe the virus is also a bacteriophage. Hell if it can reanimate a dead human and turn it into a crazy cannibal then it could also double as a universal bacteriophage.

They seem to live forever.

They are hungry, but seem to never starve.

If you go that deep, nothing makes any sense.

Supernatural needs to take over if you want an explicit explanation.

Bobby_M said:
Hmm, so is the only solution to long term survival the destruction of some 100 million brains or is there still an aspect of death by old age for the walkers?

Per the Brooks books, they will eventually decay just takes a while. Desert zombies are basically forever

Per the Brooks books, they will eventually decay just takes a while. Desert zombies are basically forever
So the "Dinner" zombies burn out sooner?

What about the appetizer zombies?

So moisture allows the zeds to decompose if the desert preserves.

cheezydemon3 said:
So moisture allows the zeds to decompose if the desert preserves.

Yep. Basically the z virus slows natural decomposition. Stuff decomposes faster in swamp than desert so that still holds.

yeah -why arent the dogs always nipping at them? they probably smell delicious.

spearko520 said:
yeah -why arent the dogs always nipping at them? they probably smell delicious.

It could be that the zombies try to eat the dogs so dogs don't mess with them. Also I saw in one episode where the zombies were eating a horse or cow so why wouldn't it have turned.

It could be that the zombies try to eat the dogs so dogs don't mess with them. Also I saw in one episode where the zombies were eating a horse or cow so why wouldn't it have turned.

Horses and cows are obviously immune as proven in show. Dogs are the first domesticated animal, and longest human contact. Mans best friend or... Worst enemy! (my doxie "daisy" when I was married would make a killer Zombie Dog!)

Everytime they have been shown eating an animal, it has been devoured to the point that it couldn't possibly "come back". More interesting would be the question of whether the animals are also infected and whether they come back when they die of natural causes.

do they need anything other than a head to come back? they need some sort of dr mengele character to put some of these ideas to the test. I think dogs would tear zombies up. that's why john africa had 100 of them, before frank rizzo burned him up.

A zombie cow would be awesome. Another question for the masses, would primates be infected? They share many traits with humans. I'm just thinking of all the primates in the zoo, a silverback gorilla zed would be your worst nightmare.

Tnoodle said:
A zombie cow would be awesome. Another question for the masses, would primates be infected? They share many traits with humans. I'm just thinking of all the primates in the zoo, a silverback gorilla zed would be your worst nightmare.

I'm not sure how many disease are communicable between humans and primates. Interesting question but a zombie chimp scares the **** out of me.

Everytime they have been shown eating an animal, it has been devoured to the point that it couldn't possibly "come back". More interesting would be the question of whether the animals are also infected and whether they come back when they die of natural causes.

CHEERS Man. Good question.

Let me make a leap for the writers: if the show's zombie virus infected unbitten animals, the world would be over-run with zed birds, squirrels, etc.

do they need anything other than a head to come back? they need some sort of dr mengele character to put some of these ideas to the test. I think dogs would tear zombies up. that's why john africa had 100 of them, before frank rizzo burned him up.

.....they need a head.

I'm not sure how many disease are communicable between humans and primates. Interesting question but a zombie chimp scares the **** out of me.

Aids sure opened some eyes. Didn't do any recent fact checking, but from what I recall, Aids came from some type of mopnkey......

Makes you wonder what the natives were up to.

cheezydemon3 said:
Aids sure opened some eyes. Didn't do any recent fact checking, but from what I recall, Aids came from some type of mopnkey......

Makes you wonder what the natives were up to.

Yeah the theory is aids originated from primates in Africa. Other than that I don't know. Thinking about it now though, animals can give you quite a few disease, Mad cow, aids, swine and avian flu (although avian can't transfer from human to human).

Regardless this disease so far has only affected humans.

I just started watching this show on Sunday. Started on episode one and I'm watching episode 4 tomorrow. I was wondering if the Drama is a bigger part of this show than the Zombie killing. I hope it becomes more about zombie killing, I am liking it so far though.

Because I just started watching I can say that in episode 3 there is an Elk that has only a few bites taken out of it from one zombie and the survivors didn't seem to be worried about it turning.

Back