The [very cool] doctor who thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good episode. Kind of creepy. Still not sure how The Doctor made the bedspread walk around
Oh, and yeah, didn't we already go to the end of the universe before?

Don't forget that although the TARDIS does not have a working chameleon circuit in order to change shape its perception filters still seem to be working. Also, Galifraeans would expect a TARDIS to look like a large metallic cylinder assuming it wouldn't bother cloaking when it was in its home environment....

I can't believe I just wrote that. I need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can also miss a lot of details in the room when you are focused on your distressed child.

So, with that problem out of the way, we can say everything in the Dr. Who universe is entirely plausible.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

so that was fast

1411000174421.jpg

I am really looking forward to Time Heist :D I love a good heist story, especially when you start throwing sci-fi or fantasy elements into the mix (see also, Jim Butcher's Skin Game)

So it's been a week and change.. any more thoughts on this series?

Just finished watching "The Caretaker". I'm loving Capaldi more and more.. especially now that it's getting easier to muddle through his brogue.. lol

I stayed out of this thread because of missing The Caretaker.

It was very excellent. I don't really like Danny Pink though. Not that I think he's a terrible character and I think the actor is excellent, I just think they're telegraphing a little too much a little too early. There's 6 episodes seemingly left in the season.

Yeah.. Mr. Pink is a little on the "forced" side... I agree the actor is doing a good job, but his scenes feel pretty forced and awkward..

On the other hand, I can't think of a single transition between Doctors that the first season went smoothly at all. I've rewatched some of Tennant's and Smith's first few episodes and they were pretty awful... lol

I thought he was pretty interesting early on. But i the caretaker episode it's like his character went from early season confusion to late season fear in a snap of the fingers. I was fine with the Pinks throughout the generations thing.

I watched an episode this weekend. Daughter spooled it up for us. Caretaker.

Afterwards I realized that she skipped The Heist. WTF??

"I watched it!" Was her response.

Thanks.

And FWIW I think Mr. Pink is fine. He seems cool under pressure. I enjoy his struggles with his past. He will make a nice counterpoint to The Doctor I think.

Funny. I forgot she was in this. We just heard something on the radio this morning about a show called "Selfie" and my wife and I both anticipated it being awful.

Having her in it completely changes everything!
missing her thick Scottish accent though. her american sounds a wee bit funny! ;)

So, what'd everybody think about "Kill the Moon"?

I had mixed feelings, actually... It really drove home that this Doctor isn't necessarily one we're always going to like - he had moments (man was he excited when he realized what the moon actually was - trying to avoid spoilers here), but then when he left the pivotal decision in the end to Clara, her student, and the astronaut lady, but didn't actually give them any useful info with which to make their decision, I found myself really torked off at the guy. Here was a guy who clearly had a position, but left it entirely in the hands of three people who were almost completely in the dark, and he quite literally left them there.

I do think that I may have started to come around a little on Danny Pink after this episode - I'm very curious to know about his very bad day.

But Clara's scene telling off the Doctor - wow. She gave him exactly what he had coming to her - and I think it made him angry, if the look on his face was any indication. There may be some fireworks to come between those two - I don't see their companionship ending on particularly nice terms, but maybe Danny can do something to help make peace before the end? Time will tell.

SPOILERS!!

i liked it and seeing the old space helmets from the satans pit episode come out again.. thats the thing about this doctor is that he is very dark. i can see why he would leave it up to the human race to save this creature since its always him doing it. liked how it wasnt more than a second after clara stopped the bomb that he showed up almost like he was right there the whole time. so, did anyone see any glimpse of clara in the trailer for next weeks episode? i think she might be too pissed off at the doctor to go with him on this one :mug:

Overall, good episode. Definitely liked the Baker callbacks. Not quite sold on quick reversal for Clara though... I mean, I get it. But it seemed like a switch just flipped, rather than any dawning of realization that "oh wow, this is still the Doctor here..." First time this season I haven't been 100% convinced with her performance, I guess - but it may have been more due to how that last scene was written - I don't think she had much to work with.

Skipped the last few posts. Just watched Time Heist last night. I already watched the episode after that (Thanks, kid) and have 2 more to watch to get caught up.

Time Heist was interesting, but I knew what was going on almost as soon as I saw the mental creature. Plus, the "Most secure bank in the universe" had an awful lot of useless air vents leading right into the VAULTS to be believable...

I really don't like Clara.. But damn, she's hot.

I know what you mean. I am still learning to like both of them. I was more of a fan when she first came on, and I liked her attitude with The Doctor in Time Heist, but overall this season, and most of last, I was just not impressed with the character.

I do like her school teacher persona. And I think Mr. Pink works well with her character.

Long time Doctor Who fan, first time posting here.

I find it interesting that the Doctor has invited two people to join him on the TARDIS and both have declined. The "disruptive influence" student got freaked out. The Engineer from the Orient Express was totally not fazed but recognized that life with the Doctor "could change a man.”

I keep hoping that Ian Chesterton will show up. He is, after all, chair of the Board of Governors of the Coal Hill School.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed that the Doctor got a haircut partway through the episode, which then disappeared again at the end. Also, I'd say that this and last week's Mummy on the Orient Express have been the strongest of Capaldi's run so far :)

I'd been avoiding this thread as I missed 2 weeks worth of episodes. Still missed one, but lots of good stuff with Orient Express. That was very classic doctor.

I think the thing Capaldi has done well is being shaken by everything that he's experienced.

Finally got to watch "Flatline".. very, very cool episode with tinges of Classic Who.

I'm glad to see that things are starting to even out with the whole Doctor vs. Clara thing. She still annoys me to no end.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "Missy" storyline... but maybe it'll turn out to be epic.

Speaking of epic.. I though "siege mode" was pretty frelling cool.

10659315_355086434670512_1655589916209647624_n.jpg

Did anyone else think the TARDIS in siege mode was more than a tad similar to the pandorica? At least in outward appearance?

I think that was kind of the point.

The Pandorica was a prison that nothing could escape from.. it makes sense that the ONLY thing that could contain the Doctor is another TARDIS... plus the "restoration field" that kept Amy alive (which the TARDIS has), and the fact that Rory was able to drag it to safety (robot or not) tells me that there was the gravity-what's-it at work (the whole "the true weight of the TARDIS would crush the Earth)..

This might be a fun little mystery. :)

Classic Doctor Who Factoid: the Doctor shoots a gun at a Dalek in Ressurection of the Daleks

Update on my Classic Doctor Who watching: I've now seen all but two Sylvester McCoys and four Colin Bakers. I'm. Working my way backwards through Peter Davidson right down.

The 26th season was actually pretty good. They finally did some character development of Ace. The final serial, Survival, was quite good.

I'm just curious now if we're going to get some surprise revelation about Clara... Or a second twist about exactly who Missy really is.

Thinking about it - a couple things just might line up. I don't think there were ever drum beats heard in the background, even after the reveal, as is typical with The Master. And then both Missy and the Doctor have, on separate occasions, referred to Clara as "oh Clara, my Clara." And there was that one line Missy tossed out in one episode about her choosing Clara. Lastly, something about those patches that induced a dream state in part one of the finale.

Are we really sure Missy is the Master? Could "she" be someone else the Doctor hates, but is throwing up a very different appearance this time around to throw the Doctor off?

And I just did a quick Google search of my idea and realized I'm not the first to have this idea. Darn it.

Back