The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my first exposure to homebrew were my parents' failed attempts at making beer when I was a kid, looking back they made so many mistakes, open fermentation, stirring the wort during the fermentation process, bottling by basically pouring the beer into the bottle with a funnel. It's no wonder their homebrew tasted like crap.

So when my brother in law got into brewing and brought a 6 pack of various beers over for me to try I was a bit worried, so when he popped open that first nut brown ale and poured me a glass, I think my first response was along the lines of "hey this tastes pretty good" meaning "hey this tastes like beer is supposed to".

Now, several years later, I can say that some of the best beer I've had has been homebrewed beer. Heck the tripel I'm drinking right now is hands down one of the best beers I've ever had.

You think thats bad.. a older realative of mine talks about homebrew he was offered like over 20 yrs ago or more, that when he poured it his glass was half full of yeast. :confused: I think he just made it and poured it straight form a carboy or something probably without carbing or bottleing it. And he did say it tasted terrible. He probably just fermented it a few days then ladeled it from out of a shoe or something.

Freshly 21 y/o lightweight girl grabs a glass, pulls a full pint of Skeeter Pee off the tap. Takes a first sip, mouth puckers, eyes squint... proclaims "wow, is this 80 proof?" Finishes the rest of the pint in under 5 minutes. :rolleyes: Had to watch her like a hawk the rest of the night to keep the drunk boys at bay and guard the sanctity of my guest bedroom.

I want to hear more about the lightweight.

Handed a Texan a Two-Hearted clone:

Tex: "Eh... it's good, but I wish it had more... flavor."
Me: "Such as...?"
Tex: "Shiner Bock."
Me: *blank stare*

Wife had a going-away with like 8 people over from work. Freshly 21 y/o lightweight girl grabs a glass, pulls a full pint of Skeeter Pee off the tap. Takes a first sip, mouth puckers, eyes squint... proclaims "wow, is this 80 proof?" Finishes the rest of the pint in under 5 minutes. :rolleyes: Had to watch her like a hawk the rest of the night to keep the drunk boys at bay and guard the sanctity of my guest bedroom.

Had never heard of Skeeter Pee, so I googled it. Came up with this little gem:
1. I don’t call this “hard lemonade” because too many people have tried the commercial versions and they tend to make a mental impression of what it’s going to taste like before trying it. When it doesn’t taste just like the commercial versions (which are usually 5% alcohol, lemon flavored malt beverages) they conclude that it’s a poor reproduction.

This stuff isn’t a reproduction; it’s the original home-style without the big marketing budget and price tag. Please be advised that you need to keep an eye on those you serve this to. Because it drinks easily on a hot day and the alcohol is about double that of commercial hard lemonades and beer, it is easy to accidentally over consume; it sneaks up on you real fast.

http://skeeterpee.com/?page_id=17
Sort of reminds me of a drink my older brother used to serve in his back yard, while BBQ'ing or just hanging out. He used a blender to combine orange juice, vanilla ice cream and vodka. It tasted like an innocent orange milkshake, and went down smoothly on a hot summer day.

The first time I drank a couple, I had no idea at all I was wasted until I tried to get up out of my lawn chair....

I was at the office Christmas party and a good buddy from the south was able to score some authentic backwoods Tennessee moonshine. Needless to say I'm still pretty ****ed up.

Reminds me of a drink I used to get after a long hard week at work. It was at the old Tahiti in Westlake called a suffering bastard. Potent stuff for a polonesian drink.

I just get tired of being considered a beer snob because i want to enjoy a good beer. Is it wrong to ask for a tap list cuz the waitress 9 times out of 10 doenst even know what the bar is serving at a restaurant? Is it wrong to want at least one decent beer at a massive company party? All that was there was BMC and Heineken. Heineken tastes like a dead skunks rotten butthole. SWMBO just calls me a beer snob and says not everyone likes the kind of beer i do. True, but not everyone enjoys BMC either. I guarantee if they put something out there, a large portion of the group will drink it. Hell, ill even take SA boston lager. Rise up against the BMC oppression!

Granted i wont be jerk and turn down a coors light or something from a family member if they offer it. They are the bmc crowd and dont like like my kind of stuff. Thats ok. When in rome, eh?

The place i was at was a company xmas party at navy pier in chicago. I think it was like an all inclusive catered bar package. You know, "For this price we offer these liquors and beers" but its chicago! Goose island, two brothers, three floyds, five rabbit, revolution, anything! The list goes on. Anyway, sorry for getting off topic.

SWMBO said my honey porter tasted like dirty pond water. You cut me deep, babe. Next time ill use dirty pond water and give her an excuse to say it.

SWMBO said my honey porter tasted like dirty pond water. You cut me deep, babe. Next time ill use dirty pond water and give her an excuse to say it.

Maybe she was actually paying it a compliment.

Like how many people here refer to a beer they like, positively, with descriptions like "cat urine" and "sweaty horse balls".

You never know! ;)

The place i was at was a company xmas party at navy pier in chicago. I think it was like an all inclusive catered bar package. You know, "For this price we offer these liquors and beers" but its chicago! Goose island, two brothers, three floyds, five rabbit, revolution, anything! The list goes on. Anyway, sorry for getting off topic

Not off topic at all. Remember, Goose Island is ABI now too. They at least serve 312 at most ABI events these days.

I just get tired of being considered a beer snob because i want to enjoy a good beer. Is it wrong to ask for a tap list cuz the waitress 9 times out of 10 doenst even know what the bar is serving at a restaurant? Is it wrong to want at least one decent beer at a massive company party? All that was there was BMC and Heineken. Heineken tastes like a dead skunks rotten butthole. SWMBO just calls me a beer snob and says not everyone likes the kind of beer i do. True, but not everyone enjoys BMC either. I guarantee if they put something out there, a large portion of the group will drink it. Hell, ill even take SA boston lager. Rise up against the BMC oppression!

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2009/08/17/beer-geeks-vs-beer-snobs/

Thats because your suppose to drink BMC. And not think twice about it.. You must obey! ;) You must give them your dollar!

Whether it's my beer or a craft beer, the statement "I don't like dark beers" makes me crazy! The "snob" in me usually jumps in with "dark" is not a flavor, but then the beer educator in me comes to the rescue, and I follow up with "what tastes do you prefer? do you like sweet, bitter, sour, salty, fruity, tangy" etc., and then help them hone in on what they DO like. I love serving a doppelbock or a foreign extra stout to someone who doesn't "like dark beers" and watch their surprise!

After puttin it in a fermenter had a buddy once ask

When do we add the alcohol?

Inform your assistant brewer that it is his responsibility to provide you with two bottles of quality whiskey that will be added to the wort once it has become cold conditioned. It is very key for quality beer to use quality whiskey for the alochol to be absorbed by the yeast and thus reproduced by the yeast cells upon celluar division.

After puttin it in a fermenter had a buddy once ask

When do we add the alcohol?

My 11 year old daughter read this post as I was flipping through this thread and just facepalmed and shook her head. She tends to help me brew and has a fairly good grasp of the whole process.

I almost swallowed my teeth when I heard that

but then I have had guys ask how soon till we could drink it as if they thought it would be the same day.

oh well

on the other hand, guys who do not drink dark beer just crack me up. I brew some pretty light beers that are dark in color just to mess with them. First light beer I ever drank was in the 70s, Michelob dark lager, used to get it on tap at a local pizza joint. Tasted like Michelob except for a bit more malty.

The first time I drank a couple, I had no idea at all I was wasted until I tried to get up out of my lawn chair....

Ran into this same situation in a bar in the Philippines. In that instance, Mojo was the culprit. Found out when I tried to stand to go to the head. Papason had to hold me up by the armpits.

I love seeing their expressions when I give them a sample of Schwartz or a Black IPA.:p

I make a low hop beer that comes from a Coors light clone, except I add a 1/2 pound of black patent. and put it on tap for the light beer drinkers.
So many will take one drink a get a sour face and tell me they can not stand dark beer. I am telling you right now, the stuff taste like coors light, has a ABV or about 3% and if I used less hops it would be hard to shave that pellet any thinner.
but, then...........

Another beer I do is a bit of a High Life clone
uses a grain and flaked corn, low hops
comes out very golden and refreshing, but not what you expect from a home brew at all
funny thing is, it goes like mad at parties, and I mean regualr parties and home brew parties.
usually one of the first kegs emptied.

And guys tell me they do not drink American style beers because they have no taste.

You know, I cannot figure it out. I love the German lagers, the English ales, scotch Ale, trappist beers, I just love beer. I cannot figure out how someone would grab a Asahi, quaff it down, say "damn that was good" and then pick up a IPA and tell everyone Americans brew **** beer.

Gave a bomber of my 09 Barleywine 18% to a guy at work who drinks a pretty wide range he said he prefers malty vs. hoppy ones so thought he might enjoy. He say next day "Yea six of us did that beer as shots mixed with vodka" Uhm ok no more for you:(

Latest posts

Back