The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not one of my beers but there was a server at an Iron Hill in PA that i went to with some friends last weekend.

They are all part of their mug club so I joined in and met them for dinner. One of the beers on tap was a milk stout on nitro.

well some of you may know i just brewed a milk stout and am having issues getting my nitro setup to work... so i figured without a doubt i needed to try this.

I ordered a full mug (i believe its 16 or 18oz) and enjoyed every sip of it...

when i had finished i ordered a mug of something else and the server was amazed at how fast i had finished mine... and proceeded to tell me that i should wait because i didnt understand how heavy of a beer i had just consumed (i believe abv was in the mid 5's) i asked what he meant and his response was:

server: "well yeah that beer is crazy heavy because the lactose sugar in it makes it as heavy and frothy as milk"

i didnt want to start any bickering so i smiled and nodded... then laughed because most of the lactose sugar ferments out and only leaves you with a beautiful twang on the back end... and its the nitrogen that makes it frothy...but if thats his sales pitch i figured i'd let him be...

not one of my beers but there was a server at an Iron Hill in PA that i went to with some friends last weekend.

They are all part of their mug club so I joined in and met them for dinner. One of the beers on tap was a milk stout on nitro.

well some of you may know i just brewed a milk stout and am having issues getting my nitro setup to work... so i figured without a doubt i needed to try this.

when i had finished i ordered a mug of something else and the server was amazed at how fast i had finished mine... and proceeded to tell me that i should wait because i didnt understand how heavy of a beer i had just consumed (i believe abv was in the mid 5's) i asked what he meant and his response was:

server: "well yeah that beer is crazy heavy because the lactose sugar in it makes it as heavy and frothy as milk"

i didnt want to start any bickering so i smiled and nodded... then laughed because most of the lactose sugar ferments out and only leaves you with a beautiful twang on the back end... and its the nitrogen that makes it frothy...but if thats his sales pitch i figured i'd let him be...

Actually lactose is completely unfermentable by beer yeast.

OH SNAP! Now that should go in the "Funny things you've heard about beer" thread. :fro:

Hahaaaa one time I was on a home brewing forum and this other homebrewer commented and said that lactose ferments out of beer, I didn't have the heart to tell him it didn't, but figured I'd post here for you guys to have a laugh... Oh wait

Oh well **** happens... His point was still crossed with the frothyness being related to the lactose and not nitrogen....

Im grasping at straws here if you couldnt tell haha..

::hides head in shame ::

Back to my cell below the stairs

themoreyouknow.jpg

eff me right? :drunk:

Oh well **** happens... His point was still crossed with the frothyness being related to the lactose and not nitrogen....

That much is true. But it still contributes to "heaviness" in the sense of body. In fact, lactose really isn't all that sweet, so body is actually the main thing it does.

emjay said:
That much is true. But it still contributes to "heaviness" in the sense of body. In fact, lactose really isn't all that sweet, so body is actually the main thing it does.

Yep, that and a certain "creamy" or milk flavor. It is barely sweet at all, even in large quantities.

Confession time: I know nothing about the fermentability of lactose by beer yeast. No idea who to believe.

Are milk stouts tasty?

Confession time: I know nothing about the fermentability of lactose by beer yeast. No idea who to believe.

Are milk stouts tasty?

Not sure if you're serious. But no, it doesn't ferment. It gives beer body and a bit of sourness or some say, 'twang'. Similar to that sourness that you get when you drink milk. It's not sour like spoiled milk, but that distinct milk effect.

Milk stouts are hit and miss for me. Left Hand Milk Stout is decent.

Not sure if you're serious. But no, it doesn't ferment. It gives beer body and a bit of sourness or some say, 'twang'. Similar to that sourness that you get when you drink milk. It's not sour like spoiled milk, but that distinct milk effect.

Milk stouts are hit and miss for me. Left Hand Milk Stout is decent.

Nope completely serious. I'm not that adventurous of a brewer yet. Pretty neat to know though. I prefer oatmeal stouts over... uhhh, "straight"(?) stouts, so maybe milk would be good too.

My sister said my English Winter Ale Smelled and tasted like Yuengling. Ignoring the Lager vs Ale side of it. THERE'S NO CORN IN MY BEER!!! AGGGGGGH

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
My sister said my English Winter Ale Smelled and tasted like Yuengling. Ignoring the Lager vs Ale side of it. THERE'S NO CORN IN MY BEER!!! AGGGGGGH
Maybe not, but there could be DMS which smells an awful lot like corn from a tin can. Not saying there is or isn't.

Maybe not, but there could be DMS which smells an awful lot like corn from a tin can. Not saying there is or isn't.

In this case there isn't, the only nose you get from the beer is a very nice Kent Goldings hoppiness and a bit of maltiness. She's litereally the only one who thinks that, but then again, she really only likes fruity beers so maybe all mid-strength ales and lagers that aren't fruity taste the same to her.

I don't know about you, but I happen to think Yuengling is pretty tasty. While she was probably completely wrong, I would take it as a compliment. :fro:

I don't know about you, but I happen to think Yuengling is pretty tasty. While she was probably completely wrong, I would take it as a compliment. :fro:

I agree, can't get it here in AR so that makes it even tastier to me, cuz I know when I go to Memphis I'm gonna get a case.

My younger brothers girlfriend tried a schwartzbier of mine and the first thing that she said was that it tasted like soy sauce.

No one agreed with her, but I do appreciate the comment. It was certainly the most random thing I've heard said about my brew

dawgmatic said:
My younger brothers girlfriend tried a schwartzbier of mine and the first thing that she said was that it tasted like soy sauce.

No one agreed with her, but I do appreciate the comment. It was certainly the most random thing I've heard said about my brew

Man I've tried all kinds of soy sauce beers. It can happen sometimes with dark malts. A guy at the brew club brought in one that tasted like straight Kikkoman. It might not be strong, but I would give it to her.

Man I've tried all kinds of soy sauce beers. It can happen sometimes with dark malts. A guy at the brew club brought in one that tasted like straight Kikkoman. It might not be strong, but I would give it to her.

Don't waste your breath. Every single time people are told that the ridiculous comment is actually a legitimate off-flavor observation, they respond by assuring everyone that their beer was absolutely flawless. :eek:

"Did you make that label yourself?" (concerning a homebrew bottled in a Sierra Nevada Torpedo bottle.. lol

emjay said:
Don't waste your breath. Every single time people are told that the ridiculous comment is actually a legitimate off-flavor observation, they respond by assuring everyone that their beer was absolutely flawless. :eek:

Troo

image-1248801601.jpg

Back