The single best beer bar in your state?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
East side of Michigan in Ferndale,One eyed bettys.47 beers on tap (+1 for Root Beer) 100+ beers in bottles, a very respectable whisky selection.Plus the food is great.

pwndabear said:
im going to vehemently disagree with you on macgreggors. they need to clean their tap lines more, their beer is better than most bars but nothing special, the service sucks, and they treat their employees like garbage (no, i havent worked there but it def counts for something)

I am from rochester and moved to buff. I would agree with the Tap and Mallet but The Blue Monk in buffalo has an epic selection.

I used to live there too. And macgregors gets a lot of things wrong (service, staff, food), but they do have a very good beer list.

But alas, a big (draft) beer list means you need to clean often, and have strong turnover of kegs, to ensure quality. They do not do either of those. But I know a lot of bars that have storage/draft/line problems.

Bodega in La Crosse, WI. Easy answer. I'm sure there is a good one somewhere in downtown Madison, but since I have to drive, there's no way I'm going to truly enjoy it in one day.

Another favorite: Hop Leaf in the Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago. Good little gastro-pub (best, and, well, only squab I've ever eaten), great selection, the works.

For Madison, I'd have to go with Malt House. Small selection for a "Great Beer Bars" entry (only 18 on tap), but they always get the good stuff - several locals, and at least a few trappists. Also 150 bottled varieties. Great scotch selection, too, but that doesn't count here.

This one is going to catch a lot of heat, but Small Bar is the best beer bar in San Diego (I'm not sure it's fair to have to only pick one in California).

Get over it!!!;)

It is actually pissing me off to pick just one in Louisville, ky. Deal.

Pazzo's in Lexington. Instrumental in my beer education and quite possibly the only reason I got through college.

Hmmm need to make the 45 mile trip out there.

Creek House in Western PA, Monks in Eastern PA
Gingerman in Dallas, the one in NYC isn't that great, there are more kickass beer bars in NYC. Blind Tiger, BXL, DBA, and so many other great places.
El bait shop is amazing.
Hopcat or Graydon's Crossing in Grand Rapids, MI. Hopcat has more beers, but Gradon's has better beers and better food.
Hop Leaf or the Map Room in Chicago. Hop Leaf is closer to Lady Gregory's- AMAZING scotch bar.

I travel for work, so I get to drink in a lot of great bars!

This guy knows his stuff^

The Holy Grale in Louisville, Ky

Great beer lists are now rampant here, and there are 7 or 8 good microbreweries, but the Grale constantly has cool events, like head brewers speaking (dogfishhead being the latest), awesome musicians (Jim James anyone??) paired with unique tastings and ticketed events.

Just about Guaranteed to 20 beers on tap I had never heard of.

A Jacksonville, FL favorite... Kickbacks Gastro Pub. Huge selection of about 60 taps as I recall.

Utah is pretty easy. We don't have a lot, but we have a couple of real winners. I think most everyone would agree that The Bayou is the place to go. Approximately 300 beers available and some pretty interesting rotations of different stuff.

The Beer Hive is good too, but not quite the selection of The Bayou.

Can anyone chime in on San Fran? Will be there for a week soon. Heard about Toronado on Haight. I too travel a lot for work, loving this thread!
There's a few decent beer bars, but a bunch of good bottle stores. 'City Beer' is an amazing place to get take out bottles. They get fresh Pliny the Elder just about every week.

A Jacksonville, FL favorite... Kickbacks Gastro Pub. Huge selection of about 60 taps as I recall.
Totally forgot about Kickbacks. Their grilled wings are awesome. Too bad they weren't updating their iphone app with what beers they actually had.

bd2xu said:
Can anyone chime in on San Fran? Will be there for a week soon. Heard about Toronado on Haight. I too travel a lot for work, loving this thread!

I live two blocks from toronado. Great list of beers, always smells like stale beer/piss. But definitely check it out. You MUST go to Mikkeller bar. It just opened last week, and it was awesome. Insane beer list (but pricey). City Beer store is a cool place that has a handful of beers on tap, plus an entire bottle shop. Drink there (with a corkage fee) or take them to go. And don't get me started on the brew pubs... Lots of good stuff. Feel free to PM me for any more suggestions.

100% on this plus eculid hall and fresh craft both are great with wonderful food.

The food at Euclid is awesome. Haven't had a chance to make it to FreshCraft yet, but one of my friends who is also a beer geek absolutely loves it. The Yardhouse and Mellow Mushroom (both chains, but I think may be exclusive to CO) both have really good food and great beer selections.

For San Fran, I prefer Magnolia over Toronado, but they're both awesome. There's a Rogue location up there too. San Leandro has Drakes, which is awesome as well.

JonM -I think you might be thinking of Palm Tavern's sister bar, Sugar Maple - they have 60 taps. Palm Tavern has 25 (I think). Been to both, and while I like Sugar Maple's selection, I love the Palm - best beer bar in Milwaukee.

In my other home state - Hopcat - Grand Rapids, MI. Though I really like going to the Founders taproom, too.

You are 100% right. Jeez - I move away from the south side and I start getting my old hangouts mixed up.

Sugar Maple has the awesome selection, but it can get busy. Palm is smaller, but you can chat with the awesome bartenders, they play really, really awesome old R&B, and they have that breathtaking wall of whiskey.

Havent seen any posts from WA yet. Tough, tough decision. Im partial to Brouwers in Fremont (Seattle), Collective on Tap (Woodinville), Bravehorse Tavern (Seattle), and the Noble Fir in Ballard (Seattle).

From Iowa, but I travel to St. Paul 3-4 times a year to go to The Happy Gnome. Bartenders always remember me. Love the place.

I can't speak to best in state but best in the Tri Cities for selection on tap is McKays Taphouse with 50 (I think) taps and the only thing close to BMC is their PBR tap.

I think for NJ it's a toss up between Maloney's or Cloverleaf. There are classic places like Andy's and Shepard & the Knuckle Head but they have a very limited space without food and a small tap list.

For Louisiana, it is definitely The Cove in Baton Rouge. 600+ different beers not to mention the equally impressive selection of hard liquors.

I think the two best in Georgia are also two of the best in the world, so I imagine picking between The Porter and The Brick Store is like having to pick which kid a parent likes best.

But if we are only considering the beer, I would give The Porter the slightest edge. It has a slightly more varied tap list. Although it really is a hard to pick one over the other.

Ashley's in Ann Arbor is the best one I know of in Michigan.

http://www.ashleys.com/

Draft magazine apparently listed it as one of the best 100 beer bars in the country at some point. Looks like they currently have 46 beers on draft and their bottle list is ridiculous.

Both locations are alright, but not the best in Michigan.

Representing the west side of Michigan I'm going to have to vote Hopcat in Grand Rapids

This is on the list for sure. Tons of great beer (plus crack fries).

Slows BBQ has the best tap selection I've ever seen. 60 drafts, non of which are domestic-in fact, they don't even have domestic in cans. Tons of bottles as well. Good prices on beer. Unfortunately, the place can be a zoo because everyone thinks their BBQ is the best on Earth (it's not).

The Oak in Wyandotte is alright. Lots of taps and tons of bottles, but prices have been skyrocketing lately. $9 for a Left Hand Milk Stout, no thanks.

drainbamage said:
Pazzo's in Lexington. Instrumental in my beer education and quite possibly the only reason I got through college.

I think I have to agree with that though I have to give props to the Hofbräuhaus in Newport. It was the first one built in the states. Great place to go after a Reds game. They should be tapping their Oktoberfest in a couple of weeks which they have shipped from Munich, instead of brewing it on site, so you get the authentic Oktoberfest beer.

I think I have to agree with that though I have to give props to the Hofbräuhaus in Newport. It was the first one built in the states. Great place to go after a Reds game. They should be tapping their Oktoberfest in a couple of weeks which they have shipped from Munich, instead of brewing it on site, so you get the authentic Oktoberfest beer.

Hofbräuhaus is great for the atmosphere and for what it represents (and it's only a 20 min. drive from me!), but they lose some points in my book in that they only serve their own stuff. They do what they do very well, but there's no chance of ever going and getting an IPA, imperial stout, or dubbel. Some rotating "guest taps" would be awesome.

Sugar Maple has the awesome selection, but it can get busy. Palm is smaller, but you can chat with the awesome bartenders, they play really, really awesome old R&B, and they have that breathtaking wall of whiskey.

Bayview is where its at for good beer. Romans is also a top notch spot just down the road from the Palm. Those three are the best in Milwaukee easily, probably the best in the state.

For Louisiana, it is definitely The Cove in Baton Rouge. 600+ different beers not to mention the equally impressive selection of hard liquors.
I'd put The Cove as second. The competition from the Pelican House has brought their pricing structure in a more reasonable direction, but the total package of the Avenue is hard to beat. Personally, I'd love to see things like Greg Koch showing up for a tap takeover or Zwanze Day happening closer to home for me, but not happening yet.

danielofthedale said:
I think the two best in Georgia are also two of the best in the world, so I imagine picking between The Porter and The Brick Store is like having to pick which kid a parent likes best.

But if we are only considering the beer, I would give The Porter the slightest edge. It has a slightly more varied tap list. Although it really is a hard to pick one over the other.

This is totally true.

And I agree that in Connecticut it's Willimantic Brewing Co. AKA Willibrew. I loved that place in grad school. And on Sundays they will fill your stein for the price of a pint.

El Bait shop

255479_2344682553443_1604353081_n.jpg

Agree 100%. I love Lord Hobo as well, but Deep Ellum is definitely my favorite. Incredible food, beer, cocktails, and service.

Cambridge Brewing Co. doesn't quite have the range of Lord Hobo, but their beers are very good. As it is a short walk from Lord Hobo to CBC, I'd say hit them both.

Haven't heard of Deep Ellum yet - I'll have to check that out this weekend.

Helping JLem out a bit:

Lord Hobo, Cambridge - http://lordhobo.com/
Cambridge Brewing Company, Cambridge - http://www.cambrew.com/

bd2xu said:
I haven't been to brickstore yet (shame) so I would say The Porter in Little 5 Points, Atlanta. Fantastic selection of Belgians, in particular, and also very good food. Plus ambiance reeks of coolness.

I'm in the same boat. I made it to The Porter when on ATL on business and lived the place.

TwoGunz said:
I'm in the same boat. I made it to The Porter when on ATL on business and lived the place.

Couple examples of the Porter. Had Lagunitas Sucks, Daison DuPont, and the Brett/white wine barrel aged version of Goose Island Sophie... On tap.

This is totally true.

And I agree that in Connecticut it's Willimantic Brewing Co. AKA Willibrew. I loved that place in grad school. And on Sundays they will fill your stein for the price of a pint.

And of course I keep pushing it with how big a stein I can get away with :D

Obscure one but if you ever find yourself in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia... Taps. The ONLY craft beer place I could find and it was good.

Where were you 5 years ago when I was in the Navy? Can't remember the name of the place but we posted up at some open air bar that was fun enough. I wasn't too into interesting beer so I stuck with Carlsberg because it was cheap, although Tiger would have been a bit cheaper. Half way into the night I splurged on a Budweiser and it was actually quite a delight compared to the Carlsberg.

This one is going to catch a lot of heat, but Small Bar is the best beer bar in San Diego (I'm not sure it's fair to have to only pick one in California).

Was walking distance from my ship. Definitely have some fond memories and I remember the staff being really awesome and fun.

Back