The relationship between beer and smoked meat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealrsr

Reaction score
I can't help but notice all the smoked meat pics on HBT. I think I am a good home brewer, but I know I am a very, very good pitmaster. Just find it curious so many others here share both interests. Other than the fact that they both require patience and ROCK! of course.:rockin:

Add me to the list of BBQ'ing and homebrewing. I honestly have no clue what it is other than they ROCK, like you said. Cheers! :mug:

It's all about enjoying flavor I think and doing things for ourselves.

+1

We enjoy making a product that works to our individual tastes... I would expect many of us to have the same general hobbies! Between cooking, brewing and other awesome skills it would seem that our SWMBO tend to be a step up on us look wise as well... ...

...Homebrewers do it better.

Yes to this. I love spending the time it takes to craft something delicious like beer or BBQ. Somehow when you've put in the hours and the manual labor, the end result always seems to be more than the sum of the ingredients and time.

i believe this is why it is called crafting. we enjoy the process and dont care how long it takes

Walk through a KCBS competition late (around 10 or 11 at night). Most teams are just starting to stoke the fire and having some beer. I have never seen a competition were the competitors share everything but their recipes. In Wildwoood 3 years ago, I saw different teams sharing their meat with a new team.

Oh no, no, no that is grilling, which can be fantastic, but real BBQ is low and slow...

I'm relatively new to home brewing but have been smoking trout and salmon for years. Plus I cook and grill a lot, having worked in and around kitchens for many years. The same DIY traits that runs in the home brewing community can be found in people who smoke their own.

I'm even planning on taking up hunting next year (having never even held a gun in my hands) to get some venison.

I don't do the smoked meat thing, but make yogurt once a week or so (and its much better than store bought) and I've been making bread lately. Both of those involve a microscopic friend doing the heavy lifting, just like brewing.

I know a few folks here enjoy making cheese, also.

now you just need to brew up a smoked beer to go along with your smoked meats.... mmmm smoked things.

KCBS= Kansas City BBQ Society. Very fun times! Good beer, great people, awesome food!

Agreed, great group of individuals at their events. Although KCBS may have gotten a little too global and perhaps big for their britches. I have beaten many of the early/long-term members in state competitions. When a supposedly "KC" group started judging Carolina vinegar and Texas pepper sauces I thought they jumped the shark as an org. Still love their events though.

I love the process of refining recipes. Both in brewing and BBQing. I also love all of the DIY involved. I have made many modifications to my BBQ to improve its performance.

Back