the Perfect Semi-Sweet Cider Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckinball9

Reaction score
This is for a semi-sweet cider, around 7-8.5% ABV. This is different (and better in my opinion) than the dry white-wine style “cider” that folks often make.

Ingredients
-5 gallons apple cider. Raw(fresh and untreated) from a local orchard is best. Pasteurized/UV treated is OK. Any preservatives such as potassium sorbate, sulfite, benzonate etc is NOT OK.
- 2 lbs sugar
- Fermentis Safale S-04 yeas (English Ale Yeast)
-campden tablets (potassium metasulfite) and wine stabilizer (Potassium sorbate)

Directions:
- Add 0.5 campden tablet per gallon of fresh pressed cider. (for uv treated/pasteurized ciders, skip this step). Let sit for 24 hours before adding other ingredients
- Heat small amount of water in pan on stove. When water is hot to the touch, take it off the heat. Dissolve 2 lbs brown sugar. Let cool.
- Add cooled sugar water to cider. OG will be about 1.060-1.075 depending on juice used
- Add S-04 yeast to cider in Ale Pale or food safe plastic liquid container
- Keep container in basement or room with around 60d temp.
- Start checking specific gravity with hydrometer after a couple weeks, or sooner if the fermentation seems to be going very quickly
- As the SG nears 1.010, check with more regularity until the final SG of 1.010 is reached. Be careful not to let the fermentation go farther, as the yeast will eat all remaining sugar if left alone, stripping out all the apple flavor.
- Siphon the cider carefully leaving the sediment behind, into a 5 gallon food safe water jug/carboy, with a half dose of Campden and potassium sorbate (wine stabilizers. Follow dosage instructions on container.)
- Store in the coolest area in the house. During the fall/winter, utilize a bulk-head etc. Let sit for at least a month, or as long as it takes to clear. Siphon again leaving sediment, into a bottling bucket or keg.
- Bottle, or force carbinate if kegging

Good simple recipie. Very close to what I do with mine! Patience is the key! Giving to yeast time to flocculate out, THEN bringing the cider out to be served with its residual sweetness still in place.

I do not have the luxury of a consistent place to cold crash.

I let my cider ferment to dryness, then sorbate/kmeta for a few weeks, THEN add more cider to return sweetness and add extra flavor. This is a german white wine making technique called Suss Reserve.

You say use a bulkhead, but what do you consider a bulkhead? Thanks to the navy every time I hear the term 'bulkhead' I think of a wall. Any wall.

Back