The one-stop-shop for auto-siphon advice thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sensei_Oberon

Reaction score
Searches on "auto-siphon" turned up the expected questions like "how do I get this to work" or "why is it clogging" or "why is there a loose piece of plastic in the bottom"?

I can't believe I ever went without an auto-siphon. I also can't believe how dependent I am on unreliable pieces of **** , which they generally are. So I'm hoping this thread will consolidate advice on auto-siphon types and brands (are there many?)

For me - what is the most reliable, durable, dependable, impregnable, etc auto-siphon? I'm willing to overpay for one that I don't have to mess with every time just to get/keep working.

thanks much

I'm still using the one (I think it's a Fermtech, standard 5/16" diameter) I got with my Midwest kit when I started four years ago. Mine has been completely dependable and effective, and I couldn't do without it. I think from my reading on various forums that most people mess these up trying to rack hot liquids, which they will not tolerate. I leave the inner tube pulled out and separate from the outer tube when I'm not using it, so the gasket on the end doesn't stay compressed. Read that somewhere on HBT.......

I have one I never ever use. Reason why? I have a carboy with a cap.

Even if I use a bucket for a primary I can easily siphon into the carboy. I simply put a vacuum hose loosely over one of the nipples on the carboy cap to generate a vacuum in the receiving vessel and the siphon will start easily.

To move into a keg or bottling bucket I simply apply a gentle pressure on the sending vessel using my c02 tank. You might get away with blowing into the vessel but that seems risky.

Anyhow, after the carboy caps I never went back to the hassle of the auto siphon.

I just racked 10 gallons into 2 corneys with mine. The only thing I dont like is its terribly slow, so i end up manually pumping the cane up and down to speed it up.

another tip : I zip tie a piece of nylon stocking over the outlet hose. This will catch most of the yeast or trub, and your beer will clear nicely

Same here. Dumped the auto-siphon and use a stainless racking cane with a carboy cap. The ones with 2 ports on them and are usually orange or burgandy colored. You put the cane through the middle one, then blow into the other one to prime it. So simple.

I didnt think I could do without my auto siphon until it broke. It was pulling air into the line and I wasnt very happy about that so I tried to take it apart to see what was going on. Never worked after that.

I bought a stainless racking cane and have never looked back. I typically start the siphon by filling it with sanitizer, finger over the outlet end, drop the racking cane in the beer/wort, and draining the sanitizer into an extra cup. This works well because if the first few ounces of beer are cloudy/full of trub I can drain that out too. Then I cover the end back up with my finger and move it to keg/bottling bucket.

I like this method because it practically guarantees sanitation (besides the finger on the end of tubing, but I keep a spray bottle of starsan handy). However I have recently been pulling a vacuum through the cane/tubing with my stainless turkey baster and that is even simpler.

I just started pushing the beer with C02. Orange carboy cap, stainless racking cane and a C02 push. No problems here! (of course you need to have C02 on hand though.

It is much easier to pull using a vac hose on one of the nipples on the receiving carboy (assuming the receiving vessel is a carboy) than to push. I've been meaning to rig up a method to do the same suction method when transferring to a corny keg.

I just started pushing the beer with C02. Orange carboy cap, stainless racking cane and a C02 push. No problems here! (of course you need to have C02 on hand though.

I've heard carboys are NOT very good under pressure... If you're pushing at 2-3 psi, you're probably okay, but I certainly wouldn't go higher with glass.

I ferment in a Sanke, though, so I agree -- transferring under pressure is *FAR* nicer.

Back