The Official HBT "KFC Double-Down" review thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFC Double-Down

• Epic

• Meh

• Okay

• Serious - bacon sandwich with fried chicken as "bread"

Results are only viewable after voting.
Complete waste. It was gross. Soggy fried chicken with 2 tiny tiny tiny pieces of limp bacon. Looked like they shaved it straight from AZ's member. :p

And AZ, where is the "epic" let down option in your poll?
My bacon AND chicken were both crisp the multiple times I've had it... sounds like your KFC sucks.

Just went out and got mine this afternoon-got the fried one- might have been better if I had eaten it right away instead of waiting til I got home.... I also feel it could have been hotter- enough to melt the cheese at least!

I voted Meh, but with a positive vibe....

I don't really count/care about fat or calories, I eat what I like. Do not like. I requested and got no sauce. I can't stand most of the crap sauces that most fast food restaurants use.

Regarding the 'not crispy' part; when done right I used to LOVE original recipe KFC (the kind that's not crispy). I didn't expect or want it to be crispy. It wasn't but it still sucked.

Fast food used to be much better than it is now imo. Now it's just a competition to see how cheaply it can be made.

TBH, this seems like a couple of guys got really stoned and got the munchies and were out of buns so they made do with what they had.

I still need to watch Food, Inc...but I'm afraid I won't be able to eat so many things I like to eat.:eek:

Ok, so I tried one last night and I don't know if it was the extremely low expectiation or the fact that I was hungry as hell but I thought it was pretty damn good.

It was fairly decent sized, probably about 1-1.5" thick and oblong shape about 5x3". The chicken was nice and crispy and while there wasn't much bacon I could still taste it without it being overpowering. The cheese and sauce were surprisingly good too. While maybe not worth quite $5, I wouldn't say I felt shorted. All in all I would get it again and it beats most other fast food.

What I was most disapointed about with the whole order was my famous bowl. I love those things and when I ordered it the guy asked me if I wanted the big or smaller one. Since I was getting the sandwich too I just got the small one. I had no idea how small it was going to be. It was about 3 or 4 bites.

I am not saying it was super crispy but neither is their original style fried chicken.

I had to go out and get one, in this tiny bumbleboo town, and it was actually good to epic. Crisp chicken, crisp bacon; the grease in the fryer could have used a change tho. As someone pointed out, this is basically a version of chicken cordon Bleu. I can imagine the upper six-figures product development people at KFC sitting around thinking, what can we do with chicken? How do people eat chicken? Someone says "Cordon Bleu" and they all start laughing.. but wait, make it a pickup sammich instead of on a plate, name it something less French and less feminine, and have burly NASCAR types pitch it in the commercials. Brilliant!

On a side note, I also had to try the Ched-r-peppers cheeseburger from Sonic. That one, jalapeno poppers stuffed between two cheeseburger patties is friggin' amazing!

EDIT: Just looked up the Sonic burger, 1,240 calories and 80 grams of fat! Must purge . . ..

The sauce is only so so. but the rest is really tasty. And It's only 570 cal. I'm going on a double down diet. The best part is what it does to the blood pressure of the Huffington Post food critic.

Latest posts

Back