the more the better ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Isn’t it interesting that in brewing there is no “the more the better” except when it comes to sanitation/cleaning. I thought about that this morning on my way to work and wonder if that statement is really true. And even with sanitation/cleaning there is certainly a point of diminished returns but you can’t overdo which is something that you cab do with all other parts of the brewing process.

Kai

I would say that in regard to available brewing time, the more the better.

Edit: Same goes for brewing budget.

Edit Edit: And stainless steel, you can never have too much of that in brewing.

Edit X3: Efficiency? Too much of that is never a bad thing.

Conditioning your beer would probably be "the more the better" considering you have good sanitation routine...

I think sanitation and cleaning are the only things were there is probably monotonic increasing (strictly) benefit forever. Even with money and time there is a point where you can no longer utilize additional resources because some other resource is now the limiting one and the benefit of more would be 0.

Depending on the sanitizer and depending on the microbes, too much is just as bad as not enough.

Many bacteria have a sort of defense mechanism when they "know" they're exposed to a harsh environment. They'll close up their cell membrane from allowing any water in at all, therefore not allowing in the sneaky and deadly sanitizer solution.

I believe iodophor is an exception (more is better), not sure about star-san. This is why 70% isopropyl alcohol is a more effective disinfectant than 90%.

more yeast is always better, more beer is always better, more money to spend on beer and brewing is always better.
In the mash more enzymes are always better.
If you use an autoclave more is better. With sanitizers more contact time maybe better but not higher concentration.

I wouldn’t say that more yeast is better. Even with high gravity beers there comes a point at which the amount of yeast can become detrimental to the beer. Although it is more difficult to overpitch high gravity beers.

Efficiency is another thing. There comes a point at which further efficiency increase will be detrimental to the beer b/c it will require excessive sparging and/or a very fine grist.

Not all beer get better w/ age. But for the high gravity ones it certainly becomes difficult to age them for too long.

I also don’t want to many enzymes in the mash. B/c I want to have a certain sugar/protein/glucan profile at the end that is mainly controlled by controlling and limiting the activity of enzymes.

Kai

Back