The importance of product knowledge. (rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
So, I went to a local "High End" liquor store to pick up some Glenfiddich (Thanks to my friend NordeastBrewer77 for the recommendation!), and I was looking all over the shelves to find it. The guy working the counter says "Can I help you find something Sir?". I said "Yes, I'm looking for Glenfiddich or Clynelish Scotch!".. He says "I'm not sure if we carry those..". He starts looking on the shelf with all of the bourbons, and I'm thinking "ok, this guy don't know squat!"...
At that moment I spotted the Glenfiddich on an end cap, so I said "here it is!", and I grabbed one.
At this point the clueless sales rep asks if I would like to sample some beer, because they are having a free beer tasting. I said "sure", thinking it's definitely going to be an IPA, since today is National IPA Day. I get to the counter and he serves me up a sample of Pyramid Apricot Ale (YUCK! By the way!).. I asked if he knew that today was National IPA Day, and he laughed as though I was joking. I told him I was quite serious, and that they might consider offering IPA samples. I told him it would likely boost the days sales. He loked at me with that "whatever!!" look and said "I don't like IPA's at all!"
At this moment I thought to myself that this guy had to be the worst liquor store sales person I had ever met.
Then as I took my change from him he says "This Glenfiddich is a very good seller here!" I smiled, becuase just 5 minutes earlier he didn't think they even carried it. Nor could he even find it!

I'm a business owner, and if this dude worked for me he would be so FIRED!

I agree. We went to Chuy's tonight for some ritas and nachos and I asked the waitress is the tequlia in the rita was 100% agave. She said, "Oh, all of our tequlias are 100% agave." I politely informed her that I was looking at 2 bottles at the bar that clearly weren't. About that time, another worker asked her a question and she walked off.

Ya, I know the feeling. Once a liquor store clerk told me (and I quote) "Guinness is just like McEwan's." (Scotch Ale). This pissed me off so much I explained to him, in minute detail, just exactly why they did NOT taste the same, how different they actually were & how lying to a customer was bad biz. I really hate being lied to.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Ya, I know the feeling. Once a liquor store clerk told me (and I quote) "Guinness is just like McEwan's." (Scotch Ale). This pissed me off so much I explained to him, in minute detail, just exactly why they did NOT taste the same, how different they actually were & how lying to a customer was bad biz. I really hate being lied to.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Yeah, but they come from the same country!

People like to tell people what they want to hear. If you want 100% agave, by jove thats what he's going to tell you he has. This is understandable, unless you happen to be allergic to whatever else is in the tequila.

This rule, unfortunately, is why people with peanut allergies cannot eat in Chinatown.

Yeah, this guy was a bone head! He wasn't the first clueless person I've dealt with at that place, but he was definitely the worst! I think the problem with this particular establishment is the fact (or so I believe) that they were only established to try to compete with other local stores like Specs. I have a feeling the owners are just business minded people with very little actual experience or knowledge of what they sell...

I agree. We went to Chuy's tonight for some ritas and nachos and I asked the waitress is the tequlia in the rita was 100% agave. She said, "Oh, all of our tequlias are 100% agave." I politely informed her that I was looking at 2 bottles at the bar that clearly weren't. About that time, another worker asked her a question and she walked off.

:off: I saw "Chuy's" and instantly started craving Creamy Jalapeno dip. :D

On topic though, I got chastised at the Houston renaissance faire (and by my fiance as well) for testing the balance of a "quality" sword. The dude just about had a cow claiming that others had cut off their fingers touching the blade (my kitchen knife was sharper than the blade, which magically cut paper cleanly, lol). The balance sucked. Clearly he had no idea what he was talking about, because if you're going to buy a sword that can be used as a sword, you check the balance. :mad:

Latest posts

Back