The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't believe that LD hit the post... a goal would have been perfection.

Yanks draw again.

Seattle and Portland announce their own USL teams. In quite unoriginal fashion they went with S2 and T2, respectively.

If this keeps up then the third tier is going to look weird... like a league full of sports cars.

The absolute best comment I've seen on this is 'RSL and Dallas should create a joint USL club and call it R2D2'

Can we finally admit that the Michael Bradley MLS experiment has gone horribly wrong?

Based on what, Jurgens comments? I actually defended Klinsy after he snubbed LD. I still supported some of his decisions and tactics during the tournament. But now he's talking s*** about the league, which Garner responded to. How did Jurgen reply? By essentially saying "Hey I wasn't criticizing MLS, I just said that riding the bench in Europe is better than 90 minutes every match in MLS." And if Bradley is good enough for Europe why isn't he destroying MLS, hmmm?

/rant

Bradley has been good for TFC as shown by them being the closest they've ever been to the playoffs.

Also, MLS has proven to be difficult for some players to transition into. It's scrappier, more physical, and often faster paced than other big leagues. I'd say he'll be great if he's given more time to adjust.

But it's TFC... one great player will not fix that. There needs to be a complete overhaul.

Based on what, Jurgens comments? I actually defended Klinsy after he snubbed LD. I still supported some of his decisions and tactics during the tournament. But now he's talking s*** about the league, which Garner responded to. How did Jurgen reply? By essentially saying "Hey I wasn't criticizing MLS, I just said that riding the bench in Europe is better than 90 minutes every match in MLS." And if Bradley is good enough for Europe why isn't he destroying MLS, hmmm?

/rant

Bradley has been good for TFC as shown by them being the closest they've ever been to the playoffs.

Also, MLS has proven to be difficult for some players to transition into. It's scrappier, more physical, and often faster paced than other big leagues. I'd say he'll be great if he's given more time to adjust.

But it's TFC... one great player will not fix that. There needs to be a complete overhaul.

His MLS critique is legit. He doesn't want guys who come to MLS and sit on their laurels and collect a check. Bradley and Dempsey returned to MLS for big money. He's saying these things because he doesn't want them to go there and be complacent. I don't think either of them will be, I don't think Landon was, he's just concerned and wants to keep pressure on. Thta's his style. MLS becoming bigger is part of Jurgens big plan. He's not a fool and knows the domestic league strength is highly important to national league strength, unless you can farm out superstars like south america.

/rant

I feel he has had a massive regression since moving to TFC. He is training with sub par players/staff & it shows IMO. I understand your love for MLS reno. I'm not saying it isn't a fun league to watch, or that we shouldn't support it. Last nights LA vs. Seattle game was very good. But in the case of whats best for the USMNT & the career progression of our best central midfielder, a mid-career big paycheck move to a poor team in the MLS hurts.

If you read all the insight into his move, there were plenty of teams interested in Michael Bradley. In fact, Roma were perfectly happy to keep him. But TFC/MLS were willing to overpay for him, and no other European team valued him at that cost, & rightfully so.

I'm glad he is collecting a huge paycheck. But my fear is that he has moved to a poor team on big money, and no European clubs would be willing to put up the kind of cash needed to get him out of there, especially when you consider his current form, and the fact that MLS has invested in him being a face of the league. I fear his career is, at best stunted, but is more than likely in a regression that will be very very hard to recover from. I hope I am dead wrong.

This isn't a slight against the MLS, so please don't attack it as such. I just think it isn't the right time for our mid-career USMNT starters to come here. Dempsey, I can somewhat understand. He is toward the end of his career. But a few days ago I heard something about Jozy to Chicago in the European January window. Ugh.

I agree with you on Bradley, I mean I can get it from him monetarily, he went from making about 1.1M to 6.5M if someone offered to increase my salary 6 times, would that be a bad thing? MLS is trying to improve and I can't fault them for that, but it's not good for immediate USMNT success. Bradley hasn't been as sharp, kudos for Klinsmann getting creative and attempting to get Bradley to improve while in the national camp. I hope Bradley goes on loan shortly, not sure when the earliest he can leave for Europe is, but he needs to keep playing.

Jozy to MLS I wouldn't like. I'd prefer Jozy to stay in England or move to Germany. I think he should switch squads as Sunderland seems highly content on not playing him. Would need Wickham to get wrecked as Puyet clearly prefers him as a target man.

If Newcastle want to go back to a 4-4-2 he could make an excellent partner for Cisse.

I've been a bad supporter this year but ReNo the Shield is going to be ours.

Kinda OT, but my lot are currently 2nd in the EPL.

I just had to mention this as it won't last long, and I have nobody around who wants to hear it. :mad:

You know how that feels guys.

Carry on. :)

Wow. Sooo FCDvVAN should have gone to PSO. I think Mark Geiger is an excellent official (best in MLS) but that was a pretty soft handball. The angle Geiger had wouldn't allow him to determine if Waston ended up doing a "chicken wing" with his arm (which he didn't.) That was purely ball-to-hand.

Oh well, either way Seattle have their hands full. Dallas is a very dangerous attacking team so Marshall will be busy. And Vancouver would have been a strong opponent as well; they always seem to play strong against Cascadia rivals.

I can't decide if I want LA and Seattle in the conference finals so LA get seek revenge or for Seattle to crash out so they continue their streak of never winning a playoff series. :D

I think it's a tough test for sure. But I have no doubts Sea will win and setup another heartbreaker for LA 😉. It's destiny this year for Seattle USOC Supporters Sheild and MLS cup to wrap it all up in a nice little ball.

Of course I could be wrong and be throwing something at my tv by halftime.

Yeah you never know. Before NYRB got their first goal I thought Sporting had that wrapped up.

I think Ziggy has been dialing in his formula. Dallas FC has been pesky for us this year though. I think Sounders FC found some rhythm, I just wish it wasn't in the 80th with Pappa coming on the pitch to reinvigorate everyone. Martins has been just spectacular (and I mean MLSMVP) and if anyone of these guys gets the ball it could be in the back of the net.

Is your fandom going to be challanged ReNo with another LA or are you going to do the proper thing and wear the split Jersey.

Is your fandom going to be challanged ReNo with another LA or are you going to do the proper thing and wear the split Jersey.

I'm beyond thrilled to see how good of a start LAFC will have. And I really like the area they're considering the stadium.

But I will never show a smidgeon of allegiance for a few reasons:

1) LA (Galaxy) til I die!
2) They will always reek of goats to me.
3) Their colors are red, black, and white. Those are UNLV colors and I've been hating those for years and years so it just feels right.

Yea, MLS talk!

Sigi finally didn't beat himself against arena twice! He didn't outthink himself before kick off. Bringing Papas off the bench with 90 minutes of energy to use in 30. They have to chase him and it opens things up. It helps that Papas doesn't really have to defend either or has enough energy to go for the 30 and help a bit. 90? not so much. I thought Evans and Rogers were going to start shoving each other in that last game. No love there for sure and Evans defends.

Actually glad to play Dallas, Vancouver's speed gives us fits. We should win out against Dallas. Sigi's coaching for a contract extension so we might be pretty good. The question becomes next year, can we afford all these guys we didn't pay a lot for this season.

I'm not usually one to complain about officiating but the reffing last night might be the worst I've ever seen.

I can't believe Zardes had that pretty goal taken away from him...

Donovan hat trick. LA completely dominated RSL.

That is all.

happy-dance-o.gif

Holy crap, I just realized:

After the dispersal draft today, Chivas USA will officially be no more! FOR GOOD! Now you'll only ever see that name if it's "Former Chivas USA player" or "Hey, you remember that really bad idea that was dragged out for 10 years and beaten into the ground?" "Oh, you mean Chivas USA?"

Also, the playoffs need to effing continue. I'm dying over here. I need my fix!

Don't worry it'll be quick and stuff and you can get back to the off-season.......muahhahahaha Go Sounders

Don't worry it'll be quick and stuff and you can get back to the off-season.......muahhahahaha Go Sounders

I'm sure the 5-0 thwomping LA handed to RSL got you at least slightly worried.

Furthermore:

THE GALAXY ARE GOING TO GET CUP #5! ¡¡¡VAMOS ANGELENOS!!!

Pa’ los colores
Pa’ los colores azul, amarillo y el blanco cantamos
Pa’ los colores azul, amarillo y el blanco peliamos

6236336257_eb562b5826_z.jpg

Did Jermaine Jones play enough to be MLS MVP? Cause he's been an absolute beast for New England. 25 points ni the 10 games he played, 3 staright playoff wins. Beastly

Did Jermaine Jones play enough to be MLS MVP? Cause he's been an absolute beast for New England. 25 points ni the 10 games he played, 3 staright playoff wins. Beastly

Heh, you should see what the reddit thread thought of him. Pitchforks and torches everywhere. :D

Heh, you should see what the reddit thread thought of him. Pitchforks and torches everywhere. :D

Of course it will. He's not an MLS player. He's a Bundesliga player which means he busts his butt all over the pitch, plays wild, and knows when to embellish. He's a tough son of a ***** who the US will miss next WC cycle

LA better be buying Pineido a drink. Dude has bailed them out of 2 fantastic chances (really 3)

LA is the happier of the 2 teams for the win, but a 1-0 isn't bad for Seattle. Especially not with their homefield advantage.

Latest posts

Back