The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're confused. Arsenal were playing Manchester City, not Norwich...

It is tough figuring out what hopstupid's flavor of the year is.
Imagine being a city fan and in an effort to talk ****e, posting a video of Adebayor.

Its back......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Qqd6T_A9LY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pot_calling_the_kettle_black

I can get where you're coming from.
I've been called a plastic fan. I was a Nottingham Forest fan until 1999.
I was at Highbury in summer 1998 when Forest opened the season away to Arsenal. Arsenal won 2-1 with a fantastic goal from marc overmars. I was so impressed with Arsenal's play that I decided to sort of be a closet fan of theirs that season.

Forest were relegated that season and still haven't been back in the premier league. Back in 1999, if your team wasn't in the premier league, you couldn't watch them play in the US. Also, the internet wasn't what it is now, so getting even a box score from the football championship was sometimes a challenge. Video highlights were near impossible to find. Since they were so hard to keep up with, I switched allegiances. Took a lot of grief about it, and still do to this day.

So since 99-00 season I've been a bigger Arsenal supporter than I ever imagined. Still follow Forest a bit, but at this point, if they ever get back into the Premier League, I'll be for Arsenal when they play.

I guess that makes me a plastic. Not sure. If so, then so be it, I can't help it.

Last night was a great US Open Cup final... that probably nobody watched aside from those at PPL Park and a handful of people that have GolTV. Seriously, effing GolTV?! I have the sports package and still don't get this channel. Thank jebus there are people out there streaming games for those of us who don't want to spend $250/mo for something that's not going to be fully utilized.

But I'm in the process of cutting the cable. The only bummer is that MLS Live will be no more and it's such a good service. But I'll be able to watch almost everything with WatchESPN and ESPN3, as well as the random stream here and there I'll have to hunt down. As for USMNT and USWNT matches on ESPN, that's what the pub is for :mug:

Last night was a great US Open Cup final... that probably nobody watched aside from those at PPL Park and a handful of people that have GolTV. Seriously, effing GolTV?! I have the sports package and still don't get this channel. Thank jebus there are people out there streaming games for those of us who don't want to spend $250/mo for something that's not going to be fully utilized.

But I'm in the process of cutting the cable. The only bummer is that MLS Live will be no more and it's such a good service. But I'll be able to watch almost everything with WatchESPN and ESPN3, as well as the random stream here and there I'll have to hunt down. As for USMNT and USWNT matches on ESPN, that's what the pub is for :mug:

I never really understood why the US Open cup doesn't get real TV coverage. Seems like ESPN3 could get it more exposure than an occasional GolTV game.

I didn't even know Goltv was a channel. They could have live steamed it over YouTube. He'll that's where I went to see the goal highlights.

I didn't even know Goltv was a channel. They could have live steamed it over YouTube. He'll that's where I went to see the goal highlights.

It actually used to be a decent channel. Had La Liga, German, lots of south American leagues. Then they lost all those, and I believe this is their last year in existence. I've always been interested in the US Open cup because of its format, but its impossible to follow.

Crazy that this was the first trophy of Dempsey's club career.

New MLS league logo (largest one in the bottom right is the main one.) I was shocked at first but it only took about 10 minutes for it to really grow on me. Check out more info and launch videos at MLSsoccer.com/NEXT

MLS_crest_club_colors.png

Very interesting. MLS determines who, between NYCFC and OCSC, gets priority on the upcoming drafts/lottery-ranking/etc.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ll-square-first-time-expansion-priority-draft
Orlando City and New York City FC, who are getting ready for their first MLS season in 2015, will go head-to-head in the Expansion Priority Draft on Wednesday. The event will be streamed live on MLSsoccer.com at 2 pm ET and hosted by former MLSer and KICKTV personality Jimmy Conrad.

After a draw conducted by supporters of both clubs to determine which club goes first, head coaches Jason Kreis (New York City) and Adrian Heath (Orlando City) will then alternate selections for priority among the following eight player acquisition mechanisms):

1. MLS Expansion Draft (Picks 1 or 2)
2. MLS SuperDraft (Picks 1 or 2)
3. USL PRO/NASL Player Priority Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
4. Designated Player Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
5. Allocation Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
6. Discovery Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
7. Waiver/Re-Entry Draft Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
8. Lottery Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)

Not sure what the supporter draw is supposed to imply but it seems like they're trying to keep it random. No mention on what is to become of the Chivas TBD players. I vote that current clubs get to protect more players and all of Chivas' current players are thrown into the Expansion Draft pool. Also, "El Cubo" Torres has a purchase option on his loan. The league would be stupid if they didn't buy him and make him available in the pool.

Pirlo to MLS doesn't make sense for Pirlo or from a marketing standpoint. He's well regarded by soccer fans, but he's hardly Lampard, Beckham, David Villa, etc.

I mean it would be great for the Galaxy cause he's a world class player. He's only making about 4.5 million in Italybut I think that he would take much more than that to leave Inter. I'm sure Man U would pay a pretty penny to have an instrumental player like him.

I mean it would be great for the Galaxy cause he's a world class player. He's only making about 4.5 million in Italybut I think that he would take much more than that to leave Inter. I'm sure Man U would pay a pretty penny to have an instrumental player like him.

He plays for Juventus.

I think he'll retire in Italy. Not the type of player MLS needs to spend money on.

Daaang, LA continues to thrash the opposition while Landy keeps raising the bar on the goal record.

I really really hope the SS race comes down to the match I'm going to against Seattle. It'll be LDs last home match so the atmosphere is going to be insane.

Chivas USA to fold for now and rebrand...supposedly as part of a deal for a team sale. Interesting

Yeah, ESPNFC reported an undisclosed investment group supposedly bought the franchise for $100M (HOLY CRAP) and part of the deal is a hiatus... some sources are saying one year, some are saying two. Two years would be good for the league: have expansion every year for the next three years (big money, no whammies), give Chivas TBD time to build a stadium (looking at the Expo Park area, so museum/USC district. Not bad...) and carpet-bomb the f**k out of LA with marketing campaigns.

On a side-note, I definitely think Sacramento are in.

http://www.sacrepublicfc.com/sacram...ip-match-averages-1-6-tv-rating/#.VCwjJ3VdVcZ

Sac Republic got a 1.6 rating on a CW channel, beating out a couple college football games. More importantly, got a 2.4 in the 18-34 demo which I'm sure is making the MLS front office drool.

There were also 14,777 watching on the USLPRO youtube channel.

US 21 man roster for Landon's Finale

GK - Guzan, Rimando, Hamid
DF - Brooks, CHandler, Garza, Gonzalez, Orozco, Ream, Yedlin
MF - Bedoya, Corona, Diskerud, Gil, Green, Morales
FW - Jozy, Landon, Gyau, Ibarra, Wood

I would guess they're gonna go with a 4-4-1-1 to put Landon behind Jozy

GK - Guzan
RB - Yedlin
CB - Brooks
CB - Gonzalez
LB - Chandler
RM - Green
CM - Mix
CM - Corona
LM - Bedoya
CF - Landon
ST - Jozy. I can also see it in the 4-3-3 they used last time.

Bradley, Dempsey, Zusi and Besler have important matches this weekend. MLS foolishly doesn't do international breaks.

But then so do Gonzalez and Yedlin, and yet they are called in. Its pretty clear that having an MLS conflict was a consideration for Klinsmann, but one that could be outweighed by whatever other factors drove his choices.

So who is up for a drinking game Friday night?
Every time a commentator or anyone on the ESPN set says something about his exclusion from the WC squad, you drink.

I'm thinking Alexi's quintessential halftime rant will put me down.

So who is up for a drinking game Friday night?
Every time a commentator or anyone on the ESPN set says something about his exclusion from the WC squad, you drink.

I'm thinking Alexi's quintessential halftime rant will put me down.

I'm sure I'll be plastered by kickoff

But then so do Gonzalez and Yedlin, and yet they are called in. Its pretty clear that having an MLS conflict was a consideration for Klinsmann, but one that could be outweighed by whatever other factors drove his choices.

Other factors drove for sure. I think Gonzalez is fighting for a spot more than Besler, and I think Yedlin bounces back way quicker than any of them.

Maybe Jurgen just hates LA?

LD is in his sendoff. Gonzalez should be availabe on 10/12.

[insert snide remark about how the WC should have been his sendoff]

:D :D

And yeah Gonzo should be fine. He might have a callup hangover but the G back four is limping and even Omar at 75% would be a huge help. But seriously Robbie Rogers, could you stay healthy for at least a couple months? I love you at left back but stop hurting yourself.

Other factors drove for sure. I think Gonzalez is fighting for a spot more than Besler, and I think Yedlin bounces back way quicker than any of them.

Were it closer to anything one would fight for a spot for, I might agree. But is presence/performance/anything in an October match going to really factor into who's going to be playing the next meaningful games in summer 2015? I hope not. But who knows. JK be cray-cray. :)

If anything, a game like this is an opportunity to get more time together for whomever you consider to be your top CB pairing moreso than an opportunity to further evaluate known quantities.

Or so says I, but there's lots of reason I'm not a manager. :)

[insert snide remark about how the WC should have been his sendoff]

:D :D

And yeah Gonzo should be fine. He might have a callup hangover but the G back four is limping and even Omar at 75% would be a huge help. But seriously Robbie Rogers, could you stay healthy for at least a couple months? I love you at left back but stop hurting yourself.

I have a hunch Gonzalez will play 45 and be subbed out for Ream or Orozco. Same with Yedlin. I think Klinsmann just wants to kind of use a sort of first level quality defense. Missing Fabian and Cameron, obviously (kind of surprised Fabian didn't get the call) but I think they want to get reps with guys who can be first teamers. With the 21 man, and another friendly later, I think Bradley and Co may come into the fold for the match on the 14th or whenever. And play a half or so.

Were it closer to anything one would fight for a spot for, I might agree. But is presence/performance/anything in an October match going to really factor into who's going to be playing the next meaningful games in summer 2015? I hope not. But who knows. JK be cray-cray. :)

If anything, a game like this is an opportunity to get more time together for whomever you consider to be your top CB pairing moreso than an opportunity to further evaluate known quantities.

Or so says I, but there's lots of reason I'm not a manager. :)

Klinsmann has made a point that nobody's job is safe. Besler started all 4, he has to compete with him and Cameron for a position and getting infront of the coach is a great way to improve your standing. While talent wins, in a close race being the face the coach sees helps.

Klinsmann has made a point that nobody's job is safe. Besler started all 4, he has to compete with him and Cameron for a position and getting infront of the coach is a great way to improve your standing. While talent wins, in a close race being the face the coach sees helps.

I don't disagree with any of this. However, none of this is in conflict with my belief that when it comes time to pick a gold cup roster, Omar's position will not be influenced one iota by his performance in an October friendly (unless he gets injured). We can agree to disagree on that. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I think the performance in friendly is less important than how he practices.

BTW Landon is only set to play 30 minutes for Friday, so thay could explain that for you Reno.

Please explain. They should have the same weight in my mind... These guys should take the whole process seriously.

Because a game weighs for sure on current form, a practice weighs on ethic. Klinsmann would weigh all of them into play and the one where he sees them the most is practice.

Gob****e! you play the way you practice. walk thru drills, sleep thru games. Lineups are always decided during the week. And since none of us are there, its all speculation. Besides, when are ya gonna learn there's no way to predict Klinsmann

Back