The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This certainly isn't the Mexico of years past. They seem to get easily frustrated and take themselves out of games. What's odd is appears across the board on their national teams. With the different events going on, I've had a chance to watch a lot of Mexican soccer and they seem to be lacking a playmaker or spirited forward who is creative. But what's odd is it seems to be this way at all levels of play. Starting to wonder if they will pull it together for WC qualifying.

So, it seems that Jozy's move to Sunderland is going to go through....
What do you guys think?

Personally, I'm a little worried. This could go well, or it could end up going horribly wrong, with Jozy sitting on the bench or in a relegation battle.
I know the team had a lot of energy when Di Canio came in, but think back on how well they played after MON was hired.
He is also forgoing the chance to play in a European tournament (with AZ), and plus I'm not 100% sure that Jozy can displace Steven Fletcher.

I guess I saw Jozy getting a move to a better team.

So, it seems that Jozy's move to Sunderland is going to go through....
What do you guys think?

Personally, I'm a little worried. This could go well, or it could end up going horribly wrong, with Jozy sitting on the bench or in a relegation battle.
I know the team had a lot of energy when Di Canio came in, but think back on how well they played after MON was hired.
He is also forgoing the chance to play in a European tournament (with AZ), and plus I'm not 100% sure that Jozy can displace Steven Fletcher.

I guess I saw Jozy getting a move to a better team.

I have many of the same concerns that you have. One I don't share the Fletcher one. They play a 4-4-2 and Jozy is going to be Fletcher's partner up, at least to start with.

Unless they are playing under a new formation this year, if memory serves me correctly, Di Canio finished last season playing a 4-4-1-1, with sessegnon playing as an attacking mid or deep lying striker who would go back into the midfield to pick the ball up. That's not really Jozy's strength, nor do I think he would displace sessegnon.

He would really need to start alongside Fletcher in a new formation, or win a role as a lone striker.

Fletcher was injured for the last 6 or 8 matches last season, and Sunderland really paid for it because they didn't have a decent back-up. Considering the low fee they are paying for Jozy, I hope they don't assume that will be his role.

HoppyDaze said:
What do you guys think about the beheading in Brazil? Effed up story

That was crazy. Why did the ref feel he needed a knife then good ol' fashion medieval justice. Have something to look forward to next year

I stand corrected. 8.5mil is no drop in the bucket. Good for him.

Yeah, i think what Sunderland paid for him says they expect to start him. If he went for that to man u, it wouldn't mean anything, but for a team like Sunderland, money like what they threw out probably means a starting role is his to lose.

I think he's good for 10-15 goals this season, depending on how the team performs overall.

US going 4-1-3-2

GK - Rimaldo
LB - Beasley
CB - Goodson
CB - Orozco
RB - Parkhurst
CDM - Beckerman
RM - Corona
CM - Diserkud
LM - Torres
ST - Wondo
ST - Donovan

Interesting lineup. Glad Mix is getting the start.

I don't have fox soccer any more, so I didn't get to watch it, but it sounded like a fun game.
What about Wondo's name being spelled wrong?? Whats up with that? You'd think that wouldn't happen at this level.

I don't have fox soccer any more, so I didn't get to watch it, but it sounded like a fun game.
What about Wondo's name being spelled wrong?? Whats up with that? You'd think that wouldn't happen at this level.

Yea, but he says he's very superstitious, so don't be surprised if its Wondowlowski next game too. :D

Portland gets the All Star game next year, going to be an amazing scene.

Yeah, that'll probably be the rowdiest (is that a word?) All-Star match yet. But Sporting Park this year will likely be nuts.

HA! But seriously, Wondo is killing it. Like Wynalda said, he should keep the extra "W" on the back of his jersey.

Anybody else want to see USAvMEX in the final? :rockin:

HA! But seriously, Wondo is killing it. Like Wynalda said, he should keep the extra "W" on the back of his jersey.

Anybody else want to see USAvMEX in the final? :rockin:

The uniform guy had an extra W sewn on the inside of his jersey so he can have the 3 Ws.

Fun game to watch last night, Costa Rica and USA seem to always play each other tough.

I think the Costa Ricans definitely had the hump from the snow-bowl.

The break for the Shea goal was very nice. Killer vision and killer ball from Donovan.

are these games on cable or what? I have not seen a single one of the available. Are you guys streaming them?

I dropped fox soccer.
Can't wait for every EPL game being shown for just the price of basic cable (in my area w/ Comcast).

Saved myself $70 per month.

They don't have much soccer on there anymore. Past the Gold Cup and the Europa league, what else do they show?

They don't have much soccer on there anymore. Past the Gold Cup and the Europa league, what else do they show?

They still have the champions league, and the FA cup for 1 more year.
But I think they are going to re-brand the current "Fox Sports" channel to be Fox Sports 1, where they will show "some" soccer.

They still have the champions league, and the FA cup for 1 more year.
But I think they are going to re-brand the current "Fox Sports" channel to be Fox Sports 1, where they will show "some" soccer.

Yeah, Fox is consolidating that and SPEED I think. Tbh if NBC Sports can give me my EPL fix then I'm golden....

I get all the Timbers games here on local cable which is all the soccer I can handle. It is nice that we get such a great product. I dig the World Cup but qualifiers s too much for the casual fan. I have some ins on corporate sponsor seats for Timbers games so I can go when I ask. I still only go to about two games a season. I do plan on going to a playoff game this year if it works into my college football schedule. That would be a blast!

Back