The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain aygov. But there's always Darren Bent :D

Shrek isn't coming. If we are going to splooge much more than 40m for Suarez, I'd rather just buy a decent back up for Giroud for 15m, buy Fellaini, & save the rest of the money for the next transfer window. No more overspending on the last day please.

Naww man, Emile Heskey! :ban:

I agree that Shrek isn't coming. United would rake us over the coals with that transfer fee.

I'd be more content if we went in for Fellani, but we could really do with a prime striker. We have no clear #1 in that department...

I think Real is going to pester Spuds until they no choice but to sell them Bale at the end of the window.

They'd be better to do it now and have time to spend the windfall rather than waiting till the end of the window. However, if they do sell Bale I see them taking a few steps back this coming season. He was their prime scorer and pulled them out of the fire on multiple occasions. Whomever they get in is going to have to take time to get up to speed.

They'd be better to do it now and have time to spend the windfall rather than waiting till the end of the window. However, if they do sell Bale I see them taking a few steps back this coming season. He was their prime scorer and pulled them out of the fire on multiple occasions. Whomever they get in is going to have to take time to get up to speed.

I've seen it mention a couple times recently in articles that Spurs tend to wait til the last minute "playing hardball" around transfer fees, so that they technically end up "winning" the transfer from a dollar and cents perspective, but then end up losing out for the beginning of the season for exactly the reason you mentioned. They have a harder time finding replacements and getting them worked into the team because of pushing things to the last minute.

I've seen it mention a couple times recently in articles that Spurs tend to wait til the last minute "playing hardball" around transfer fees, so that they technically end up "winning" the transfer from a dollar and cents perspective, but then end up losing out for the beginning of the season for exactly the reason you mentioned. They have a harder time finding replacements and getting them worked into the team because of pushing things to the last minute.

same exact thing happened when they sold Modric.

Something we should all remember is that a lot of these transfer fees are Amortized over the life of the contract, especially when selling expensive players to Spanish clubs. So, if Spurs do sell him, its likely they won't get an 80m windfall the day of the sale. They may get 20m or so a year over the life of his contract with them, and If he re-signs with RM a few years down the road, it can stretch out the amortization even further.

It's opposite of how Arsenal work. We tend to wait till the end of the window to grab the scraps at ridiculous prices. Technically I don't think we end up winning anything by doing that....

It's opposite of how Arsenal work. We tend to wait till the end of the window to grab the scraps at ridiculous prices. Technically I don't think we end up winning anything by doing that....

The worst was the summer we sold Cesc & Samir right at the end of the window & then overpaid for Arteta, Santos, & Mertesacker.

Last summer wasn't too bad. We had Giroud & Podolski in early, and I think we added Santi in July.

I think Giroud could be a #1Striker. I think his first season mirrored Henry's pretty closely. The young Sanog'o I think could be a decent option of the bench this season too. Like most Gunner fans on here have said I too think the DM is the most glaring need we have. Fillaini does not really fill that I think him and Arteta is better the options we have now. Although I think playing Vermalen at DM could work out great. I think we need one more CB to provide some cover but I like the Laurent and Big F'ing German paring. And not to be a homer but I would I would love it if they went after Brad Guzan too.

should be a great year for NCFC

Norwich City have completed the signing of the striker Gary Hooper from Celtic.

The 25-year-old, who scored 31 goals for the Scottish champions last season, becomes the Canaries' seventh summer signing after he agreed personal terms and passed a medical at Carrow Road

The 25-year-old, who scored 31 goals for the Scottish champions last season, becomes the Canaries' seventh summer signing after he agreed personal terms and passed a medical at Carrow Road

Hooper? Not good enuff for Southampton. ;)

What about Ricky Van Wolfswinkel?
Norwich have done well this summer. Got rid of Holt as well.

What about Ricky Van Wolfswinkel?
Norwich have done well this summer. Got rid of Holt as well.

still got him can't wait for the new season to start with 3 new coaches for the top 4 teams so many unknowns. You better hope Arsenal gets Suarez or even benteke would be nice

Good game with a good result. USA seemed to play crisply with nice passes. Few opportunities, and of those some shamefully missed, but at least one in the back if the net. Panama with good defense.

Very solid game and a good way end what was a dominate run through the Gold Cup. Landon cemented himself back on the first team. I think EJ also booked his ticket to Brazil of it was not already. I think Mix, Bedoya, and Corona all really helped themselves and I think probably two of these could end up in Brazil too.

Higuain is going to Napoli for 30 mil..... and here we sit offering 40 mil for Suarez... fvcks sake!

I would not pitch a fit if Arsenal took Suarez, even though we'd be competing against him. However I doubt Suarez would accept the transfer. He's always whined that the BPL has a grudge against him. Add on top of that his discipline record and it's hard not to have a grudge against him. He's been a louse for club and country going back past his Ajax days.

My WAG is that he'll hold out for a Spanish or even Italian side before swapping BPL clubs. I just hope he goes somewhere.
He's not doing LFC any favors with his behavior and between the recent deals including Sturidge I don't think we'll miss him.

So what does 11 wins in a row get you? The Gold Cup Championship, but that's not all. It gets you a 22 year old striker in Aron Johannsson to file his one time switch to the USA and it gets John Anthony Brooks to accept a call up for the Bosina friendly! This additions might not matter much in Brazil but they could be huge parts of the team going to Russia.

I would not pitch a fit if Arsenal took Suarez, even though we'd be competing against him. However I doubt Suarez would accept the transfer. He's always whined that the BPL has a grudge against him. Add on top of that his discipline record and it's hard not to have a grudge against him. He's been a louse for club and country going back past his Ajax days.

My WAG is that he'll hold out for a Spanish or even Italian side before swapping BPL clubs. I just hope he goes somewhere.
He's not doing LFC any favors with his behavior and between the recent deals including Sturidge I don't think we'll miss him.

Suarez is to good for Liverpool. He was the only striker they had for the first half last year because they were to cheap to sign Clint Dempsey. That's pretty cheap without him last year you would of been bottom half.

Suarez has more class then this.

http://pepereina25.com/en/2013/07/2...el-liverpool-gracias-por-todo-os-vere-pronto/
Pepe Reinas goodbye letter states he was loaned out without being consulted.

Suarez is to good for Liverpool. He was the only striker they had for the first half last year because they were to cheap to sign Clint Dempsey. That's pretty cheap without him last year you would of been bottom half.

Suarez has more class then this.

http://pepereina25.com/en/2013/07/29/carta-de-despedida-para-los-aficionados-del-liverpool-gracias-por-todo-os-vere-pronto/
Pepe Reinas goodbye letter states he was loaned out without being consulted.

To be clear, you think that a loan situation, regardless of how it's handled, could be less classy than biting people? :D

Stuart Holden with a torn ACL. Damn poor guy cannot get a break.

Terrible news for sure. I assume he will part ways with Bolton, and his next likely chance to play will be the 2014 (Maybe 2015) MLS season, assuming a year for recovery & fitness....makes me wonder if he might call it a career.

Some of his play at Bolton was so promising. Amazing free kicks. F-ing Jonny Evans.

To be clear, you think that a loan situation, regardless of how it's handled, could be less classy than biting people? :D

Yeah I do the guy has played there for 8 years. Suarez gives everything on the pitch and is a pretty unselfish player.

I agree that he's got passion and hope you're right that he comes back, but coming back from 2 acl operations on the same knee, compounded by the complications on the first one, is going to be a tall order.

Yeah I do the guy has played there for 8 years. Suarez gives everything on the pitch and is a pretty unselfish player.

I never denigrated his skill as a player, just his inter-personal skills. Even with having to sit out 3-4 games at the end of last season his goal tally was barley beaten.

Also remember this was his third biting fiasco. He did it both in Ajax and back in Uruguay before his career really took off.

Is he a world class football player? Yes, but no matter how class you are you can't show it if you're banned for long stretches of the season.

It comes down to value versus cost. If the club can get 30-40 mill and moving him on as the rumor mill indicates he wants to do. Then I say let him and his inability to keep a level head go.

Trying to match Rena's loan to Suarez's behavior is apples and oranges. Weather Rena was consulted or not is up to the manager and the club. Did they handle it well? From the sound of it not very, and that's bad form on the club.

I agree that he's got passion and hope you're right that he comes back, but coming back from 2 acl operations on the same knee, compounded by the complications on the first one, is going to be a tall order.

someone just informed me that it was his right knee that has the torn acl, not his left knee, which was the one jonny evans butchered.

Just about nine months till the World Cup squad is announced. Here is my take on the 23 men who Jurgen will select at of today.

2014 USA World Cup roster
GK--Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

Def--Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Clarence Goodson, Geoff Cameron, DeMarcus Beasley, Steve Cherondolo, Michael Parkhurst

Mids--Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones. Graham Zusi, Fabian Johnson, Landon Donavon, Kyle Beckerman, Mix Diskerud, joe Corona

For--Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Terrance Boyd, Herculez Gomez

Thought it might be fun to see what everyone else thinks and then up date each month till the squad is named.

I would agree overall. I think that health will play a role though, I don't think Chandler is left off if he's healthy and has been getting reps. He's much better than Beasley and Parkhurst. Also wouldn't rule out Johnson to defense either.

My guess is

GK - Same

DEF - Besler, Gonzalez, Goodson, Beasley, Cherundolo, Johnson, Chandler, Cameron (Cameron is a bubble player)

Mids - Bradley, Jones, Donovan, Zusi, Diserkud, Shea, Corona, Beckerman (wish this spot was going to Holden,, I hate beckerman, but like Cameron I consider him a bubble player assuming health, and I think Bedoya may get this spot if Cameron makes the team since he can backup CDM)

FWD - Jozy, Dempsey, Johnson, Gomez

I don't think Boyd makes it, don't need that many backup strikers

My guess as to the starting lineup would be

RB - Cherundolo
CB - Besler
CB - Gonzalez
LB - Johnson
CDM - Bradley
CDM - Jones
RAM - Landycakes
CAM - Dempsey
LAM - Zusi (though he can donovan may switch)
ST - Jozy

I think Shea makes the team for his pure physical skill. Kid is big, strong, and fast, and can do some serious damage off the bench. Of cours eplay over the next year will be a big factor. As I see it, assuming health we probably about about 18 locks or so then the rest are all the right fit types.

I'm sure this is debated every year - but should we really engage in an MLS-All-star game system - one that risks injury to our best MLS players while running the significant risk of making the entire league look bad?

As much as I know that the All-stars have no chance to develop cohesion prior to the match, I find these losses embarrassing. And the wins (Chelsea?) are summarily dismissed even more quickly than the MLS losses.

If an All-star game must occur - because I suppose thats the American thing to do - then why not East v. West the way the other sports do it?

I'm sure this is debated every year - but should we really engage in an MLS-All-star game system - one that risks injury to our best MLS players while running the significant risk of making the entire league look bad?

As much as I know that the All-stars have no chance to develop cohesion prior to the match, I find these losses embarrassing. And the wins (Chelsea?) are summarily dismissed even more quickly than the MLS losses.

If an All-star game must occur - because I suppose thats the American thing to do - then why not East v. West the way the other sports do it?

The number reason they do this is for the corporate sponsors. It is a way for them to meet and greet the players that their money helps pay. It also helps bring more eyes to the MLS and I think most American fans know not to judge much based off what happens during the all star games.

Thoughts on Dempsy to Seattle

The height of silly season rumor mongering. Portland has the #1 spot in the allocation list and would NEVER allow their blood rivals to get Clint. I think he was in San Fran to meet with Everton who was playing in the San Fran that day.

Well looks like Portland can suck it n Dempsey to Seattle

Indeed! Huge pick up for the Sounders. I can just imagine how pissed Portland is though since they are first in the allocation list. Wound how MLS changed the rules to let this happen or what players Seattle parted with (Yeldin ?)?

Why is Dempsey going to Seattle? That move doesn't make sense unless he just wants to score a ton of goals and be closer for WC qualifying. Maybe a 3 month loan i could buy but why a transfer? He want to play championship soccer, not make a backwards move. He'd be better off going to Everton or West Ham. Stoke seems to have a thing for Americans.

I hope this is all really sillyness or just a short loan not a purchase. Dempsey should be in the top levels of Europe, not MLS. Where did his dream of playing in the UCL go?

sometimes things just dont have to make sense haha

For a player who said he want's to play in the UCL, a permanent move to MLS (well he can be bought later but you know how MLS is about selling players) is the opposite of that. I could see him go there to prep for the WC then return to Tottenham, but this doesn't make sense. he's not Landycakes, he's not scared of European club soccer.

Latest posts

Back