The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reports in UK say Jozy might move to the PL with Sunderland being the front runner. Hull also with a previous connection.

Glad to hear his name being thrown around in the transfer window, but I hope he holds out till late summer for a better move.

That would be awesome Paolo Di Canio is going to really turn that team around.

Definitely. I think Di Canio will actually play football rather than the usual route 1 tactics you see at that level.

It's amazing what that coaching change did for them last year. They played with so much more passion & energy.

You mad bro?

I love watching arsenal players

Trying to think of Arsenal's last academy player who went to Manchester.....

Speaking of one of the greatest academies in Europe, how is the old Norwich academy these days? Still providing some quality League 2 talent?

Speaking of one of the greatest academies in Europe, how is the old Norwich academy these days? Still providing some quality League 2 talent?

I think we've determined that he's a City fan...

I the EPL would be one of the worst places he can end up at. The EPL is not very good at developing talent as a whole. The are a number teams that still us that direct long ball style that will not play to Jozy's strengths. And really the Champions League and Europa League spots are pretty much taken and there is very little turn over on them.

I think a move to the Bundesliga would be a better fit. The Bundesliga is much better at continuing to improve players. It's a move techinal league than EPL which will help Jozy but its not overly technical like La Liga. Plus he has a better chance of going to a club that will see some European play even if they are not there this year.

I have to disagree, I do think the EPL can be too cutthroat to be good for development, but put Jozy on a team that gives him starts all of the time and I think the competition will do good for him. While Bayern and Dortmund are awesome, aside from a small handful of other teams the Bundesliga isn't great competition. A team like say Everton would probably be a Champions league team for the Bundesliga.

I wouldn't be upset with him going to either league. But I do think that the EPL massively helped improve Dempsey's game. And I think playing against the best in the world in an industrial style of game would be good for Jozy.

Funny you should ask we won the youth cup this year

http://www.thefa.com/fa-youth-cup

That's what a trophy looks like bro.

awesome "bro"....that's like totally radical you bodacious dude.

our, like, women's team, bro, they won the fa cup too.

arsenal-ladies-1721404.jpg

You mad bro?

You make fun of our academy then get all hurt when I point out our kids won the fa cup this year

Maybe stop and think for a bit before talking trash.

hopstupid said:
You mad bro?

You make fun of our academy then get all hurt when I point out our kids won the fa cup this year

Maybe stop and think for a bit before talking trash.

Not hurt one bit. Good for their youth team & good for our ladies. One in the same really, as in, not the PL sides we're talking about. Like I've said many times.....lots of talking points but no message.

One last thing......if you are going to link your cute little memes and anti arsenal pictures directly from your photobucket page, you should really at least consider making your personal pictures private.

Bro. :)

One last thing......if you are going to link your cute little memes and anti arsenal pictures directly from your photobucket page, you should really at least consider making your personal pictures private.

Bro. :)

Yup.... full of really bad memes, a couple personal photos, and a man in a tube-top and daisy dukes. Good stuff.... broseph.

Back on topic.... SOCCER! There's been a lot to discuss and I've been out of town for work for about three months now so I'm a bit out of the loop... and a bit loopy.

A some points:

- Portland on top? It's about time their amazing supporters got the results they deserve.

- There were some spectacular goals this past weekend. The Goal of the Week video this week is non-stop talent and class.

- Poor NYRB. Will they ever win silverware?

- Attendance in struggling markets is up consistently (Columbus, Chicago, and especially Dallas.) Chivas, however, are still hurting attendance-wise and are dragging down the league average. Now I'm not going to start preaching rebranding and moving the franchise but something needs to be done. As of now, all Chivas USA functions as is a Mexican-reserve farm team for Guadalajara.

- US Open Cup quarterfinals are tomorrow and there are two non-MLS clubs remaining. It's likely we'll be seeing some new faces in the CONCACAF Champions League. My guess is whomever wins the FCD vs PTFC match will take the tournament.

- I don't want to wait over two months for more World Cup Qualifiers.

- I don't want to wait over two months for more World Cup Qualifiers.

I don't want to wait a year for the world cup itself!
It will be nice to see WC games taking place near our timezones. I remember watching the loss to Germany in 2002 at like 4 in the morning. Nothing like a handball to wake you up.

Memories of a great team....
[ame]http://youtu.be/hXQvQLUj6No[/ame]

Anyone in philly tomorrow? The guy I am heading to NHC with tomorrow has thursday seminars, but I do not. Figured I might have to go catch Spain v Italy somewhere near the conference.

Interesting Gold Cup squad.

Seems like Klinsmann has given time off to the guys who've cemented their role so they can be rested for the year, so no Jozy, Johnson, Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Howard, etc. But there are some old faces getting chances like Donovan, Onyewu and the rehabbing Holden (who you can't help but think as long as he's fine will be starting somewhere next year) but we're also bringing some very young talent like Corona, Gatt, Diskerud, and McInerney.

Hopefully some of the younger guys have a great showing and get in the bench mix.

Seems like Klinsmann has given time off to the guys who've cemented their role so they can be rested for the year, so no Jozy, Johnson, Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Howard, etc. But there are some old faces getting chances like Donovan, Onyewu and the rehabbing Holden (who you can't help but think as long as he's fine will be starting somewhere next year) but we're also bringing some very young talent like Corona, Gatt, Diskerud, and McInerney.

Hopefully some of the younger guys have a great showing and get in the bench mix.

hoppy, I've been wondering what kind of sides the other teams are going to field. What do you think? Will we be playing against other countries A teams? Not that it matters, just curious.

Yeah I really like seeing the youngins getting a call up. Jack Mac deserves it and I'd like to see more of what Mix Diskerud can contribute.

hoppy, I've been wondering what kind of sides the other teams are going to field. What do you think? Will we be playing against other countries A teams? Not that it matters, just curious.

Mexico doesn't have their stars, don't know about the other squad. But it seems like all the best players will have the Gold Cup off. Since it is so close to the qualifiers and other important comps.

It doesn't seem that he's interested in going all in to win the Gold Cup this time around.

US Open Cup quarterfinals are tomorrow and there are two non-MLS clubs remaining. It's likely we'll be seeing some new faces in the CONCACAF Champions League. My guess is whomever wins the FCD vs PTFC match will take the tournament.

The Fire took care of Orlando City easily, which had beaten two MLS clubs to get to the quarterfinals. With DC United up next, I like the Fire's chances of getting to the finals. I just wish we didn't have to wait for more than a month for the next round to be played.

Of course the US is letting most of the first team guys rest over the Gold Cup. They just picked up 9 points over three games in WCQ and that is what matters. Players do need a break before heading back to Europe or can't miss two months from their MLS team. But most of the top tier teams will be at less than full strength so I still expect us to make the finals.

Todays game showed that Spain has taken a step back from their heights of 2010 and 2012. Xavi and Iniesta are not able to boss the game around as dominantly as before. Busquets is no Xavi Alonso. Torres is not the player he was and no one had been able to replace David Villa. i think they are still one of the favorites but behinds both Brazil and Germany at least now.

Brazil is the favorite considering they'll be at home. But they're also their own worst enemies, they can easily implode and are especially weak to counter attacks.

Germany is the best team in the world, except for whatever fullback position Lahm isn't playing they don't have a weakness. But they have arguably the best keeper in the world, 2 very good CBs at least in Hummels and Badstuber, what has to be the deepest midfield in the world with Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Ozil, Gotze, Kroos, Reus, Muller, the Benders, Schurrle, and Podolski, and Gomez is a good guy up top and you have a fantastic poacher in Klose coming off the bench. If I was germany I'd put Muller up top, Ozil behind him, Kroos and Gotze out wide and Khedira and Schweinsteiger deep.

I was really excited for that game and found it to be kind of a let down.
The Spanish tikki takki football is really starting to get exposed.

Can't wait for European leagues to fire back up.

I was really excited for that game and found it to be kind of a let down.
The Spanish tikki takki football is really starting to get exposed.

Can't wait for European leagues to fire back up.

Yea, Spain used to excel at killing you with possession. Unfortunately when you concede a goal in the 2nd minute you need to kill people with goals... their possession play was crap as well. How many times did they get bossed off the ball or make an errant pass in the middle and have to scramble back to head off a counter attack? Overall Spain looked sluggish and Brazil looked rampant. We'll see what changes a year makes.

Back