The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it fermented?
No.
No, it's not.

LMGTFY
wikipedia said:
Black garlic is a type of "caramelized" garlic (in reality, browned by the Maillard reaction rather than truly caramelized) first used as a food ingredient in Asian cuisine. It is made by heating whole bulbs of garlic (Allium sativum) over the course of several weeks, a process that results in black cloves. The taste is sweet and syrupy with hints of balsamic vinegar[1] or tamarind.[2] Black garlic's popularity has spread to the United States as it has become a sought-after ingredient used in high-end cuisine.

The process of producing black garlic is sometimes incorrectly referred to as fermentation, but it does not in fact involve microbial action.[3]

Interesting. I have heard of it, but thought I had heard of it described as fermented as well. I might be able to ferment some but I don't think I will be browning any over the course of several weeks... Have access to a lot of good asian specialty stores around here, I might have to try to find some.

No.

No, it's not.

LMGTFY

Let me down easy. Damn. No need to be a dick about it.

I had read on a few websites that black garlic was in fact fermented. And to be fair, its actually also known as fermented garlic, so that alone can be confusing.

So I guess to the original question... No its not fermented. There. Happy?

Let me down easy. Damn. No need to be a dick about it.

I had read on a few websites that black garlic was in fact fermented. And to be fair, its actually also known as fermented garlic, so that alone can be confusing.

So I guess to the original question... No its not fermented. There. Happy?

That's ok, I even had to google the "LMGTFY"...

Interesting. I have heard of it, but thought I had heard of it described as fermented as well. I might be able to ferment some but I don't think I will be browning any over the course of several weeks... Have access to a lot of good asian specialty stores around here, I might have to try to find some.

You should be able to score some at any good Asian market.

So I just thought I'd throw this idea out for others to enjoy... I'd read this http://www.beer-simple.com/brewing?month=January-2017 and played around with 'dry hopping' cheese and then put some on pizza dough on top of a light coating of olive oil. Wow! I know this is just a pizza thread but I'm thinking of other options: grilled cheese, mac & cheese all with hop flavored cheese...yum! I just used sharp cheddar.

Broke in our new barbie today, never had a propane one before. It rocked.

IMG_20170408_130526.jpg

...also, picked up some of that black garlic that kev211 recommended. Can't imagine why he thought it was fermented.... I'll probably try it tomorrow. Been too busy, missed pizza like hell.

Im on mobile right now and hadn't made it down to the photos you posted and I was getting my angry "well that was a dick comment" reply ready until I saw your photos. Ha! That's awesome

A couple more pies today. Mushroom, spinach, and tomato slices with goat cheese. Black garlic, shaved brussels, and pine nuts with asiago.
That black garlic comes off like super caramelized, umami-fied garlic.

Love the crust! but you lost me at the pine nuts. :/

Ordered the pizza oven attachment for my Green Mountain pellet grill this weekend. Should be here tomorrow. Interested to see how it cooks - they claim the stone reaches temps in the mid 800s.

Here is a picture of some dough I made last night. Used Reinhart's NY Style Recipe. Very happy with the texture and consistency thus far but we shall see what happens over the next 24 hours. The NY style I am used to making uses semolina in the dough...I'm surprised that a lot of the recipes ITT don't use it. I'm also surprised to see that water isn't a huge topic of discussion. I'm definitely no pizza expert (or homebrew expert) but I think there is something to be said for the water that is used.

image1.jpg

Here are some pictures of the pizza oven for the Green Mountain Grill that I bought. Install was effortless and the design is very sturdy. The pyramid shaped piece of stainless sits right on the firebox and hooks on to the ledges of the outer part of the grill. So far, this seems like a good investment. Below that is a picture of the Reinhardt NY Style dough I made last night.

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Here are some pictures of the pizza oven for the Green Mountain Grill that I bought. Install was effortless and the design is very sturdy. The pyramid shaped piece of stainless sits right on the firebox and hooks on to the ledges of the outer part of the grill. So far, this seems like a good investment. Below that is a picture of the Reinhardt NY Style dough I made last night.

I assume you make a sticky dough so it stays stuck to the wall?

Very happy with the way the GMG pizza oven performed. Definitely going to take a few cooks to get the pies done the way i like them. The first pie is salami and was a tad over done. And what I mean by a tad over done is about 15 seconds too long. This oven gets screaming hot and cooks a pie in about 2-3 minutes. The second pie is basil. I skimped on the cheese for some reason but it was still good!

Only mishap was the cheese...when I worked at a NY style pizza parlor in college, we used 100% whole milk mozzarella that, I believe, was low moisture. The only cheese that I could find in my area that was low moisture was made with skim milk...needless to say, it sucked. As soon as the pie started to cool, the cheese turned to a gel-like texture. I bought good Tillamook mozzarella, but wonder how well skim milk holds up to high temperature. Any suggestions on cheese?

image2.jpg

image1 (1).jpg

image1.jpg

Holy crap, @icebob! I'm comin' to YOUR house on Thursday night! Your pizzas look spectacular, and I wouldn't say NO to that martini, either! :tank:

I was just gonna say... So whens my invite @icebob? Looking at your pizza and beverage skills I dont have much to offer food and drink wise, but I do think that Im a pretty good conversationalist :D

Round BHprovolone and Moz, half BH turkey pep
Grandma is just fresh mozzarella and garlic

Wish my basil plants were bigger
Used Bob's red Mill artisan flour in Belluccis dough recipe. Added a teaspoon of gluten protein. Stressed the KitchenAid pretty good. Gonna try warmer water next time to see if that's easier on the mixer.

Anyone have any tips on preserving sauce? Can it freeze ok? GFS has a good selection. But they are gallon cans. I know sauce oxidizes pretty quick and changes flavor. Would filling acouple sanitized Mason jars and putting them in the fridge work?

View attachment 1493507653322.jpg

View attachment 1493507669567.jpg

Second run with the GMG pizza oven. Used the Peter Reinhart Neapolitan recipe this time. Very happy with the results. This dough seems to handle high stone temps better than the NY style. Just a simple salami pie today.

View attachment 398493
View attachment 398494

Looks great. I just modded a cheap water smoker by installing a kab6 banjo burner and a pizza stone to (hopefully) make a high temp pizza oven. Will report back if I don't 'splode myself.

Back