The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need your help guys. I've got marinated teriyaki chicken that needs grilling and I would like to make a pie with it. That being said, I think pineapple and Canadian bacon belong a million miles away from pies (no offense to whoever posted a pic on the last page of exactly that). What else could I do to make a pizza with it? At this point I'm thinking of freezing it and trying something else haha

Agree on the pineapple thing. Pineapple is great. But so is ice cream, and people don't put that on pizza.

I think I've had an "asian" pizza at California Pizza Kitchen, that had some sort of peanut sauce on it. It was fantastic. No idea on a recipe, but I immediately thought of that. But despite the pineapple rant, I'm a pretty nontraditional pizza type of dude :)

Agree on the pineapple thing. Pineapple is great. But so is ice cream, and people don't put that on pizza.

I think I've had an "asian" pizza at California Pizza Kitchen, that had some sort of peanut sauce on it. It was fantastic. No idea on a recipe, but I immediately thought of that. But despite the pineapple rant, I'm a pretty nontraditional pizza type of dude :)

I get ya there. I made hawaiian chicken sandwiches the other week loaded with pineapple. But keep it off my pizza. I decided to freeze the teriyaki in favor of making a taco pizza :ban:

One of my favorite pies is pineapple and spicy banana peppers topped with mozzarella. They seem to counteract each other and make for a delicious pizza.

Have any of you guys ever used the smaller table top wood fired ovens, like the Uuni or Pizzacraft? I love my pizza steel, but these seem like they'd be really cool to get that nice wood-fired smokey flavor; the high temperatures would be great for searing meat and other grilled foods also.

The Uuni Pro is on Indiegogo now for early backers, and their previous pizza oven lines typically get pretty good reviews. I'm thinking pretty hard about the $499 for an outdoor oven that can cook full size pizzas; it can use multiple fuel types (wood, pellets, charcoal, propane) and is still pretty portable.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/uuni-pro-the-quad-fuelled-outdoor-oven-pizza-cooking--2#/

Anyone have any experience with these products?

16583943_902863936483172_1369696484085202944_n.jpg

xsuhscod6oprt0dxb27x.jpg

I really want to get an uuni, since I doubt I'll ever build a real pizza oven, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I hate the term Canadian bacon because it's truly just ham mascaraing as bacon. So I prefer calling it ham but most people don't get that.

No, no, no. Ham is cured hind leg of the pig. Canadian bacon is cured pork loin. Just as you wouldn't interchange the loin and leg, we shouldn't interchange ham and Canadian bacon.

And yes, Canadian bacon is not bacon, but it's also an insult to call it ham.

I really want to get an uuni, since I doubt I'll ever build a real pizza oven, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

No, no, no. Ham is cured hind leg of the pig. Canadian bacon is cured pork loin. Just as you wouldn't interchange the loin and leg, we shouldn't interchange ham and Canadian bacon.

And yes, Canadian bacon is not bacon, but it's also an insult to call it ham.

Then can we call it unnamed meat? :D

Back on topic... anyone have any success using typo 00 flour in a home oven? Thinking of tracking some down to try out but I have also heard that if you can't get your temps > 500 or ideally a lot hotter then it doesn't work as well.

Back on topic... anyone have any success using typo 00 flour in a home oven? Thinking of tracking some down to try out but I have also heard that if you can't get your temps > 500 or ideally a lot hotter then it doesn't work as well.

What about canadian bacon on pizza isnt on topic?

I use 00 flour for about 50% of the pies that I make and high gluten flour for about the other half that I make and use a standard freestanding range for every pie that I make. 00 Works great. I get nice air pockets/bubbles and nice fluffy dough. Its silky smooth. I think I prefer high gluten as I get better air bubbles out of it, but the 00 seems to make more airy dough

I use 00 almost exclusively. Love the stuff. With a long ferment it makes fantastic crust. When I'm out of 00, I use plain old King Arthur Bread Flour.
[emoji6]

As a canadian I just don't get the whole "canadian bacon" thing. We know what bacon is. We call bacon, bacon. And call ham, ham. Anyone know where the "canadian bacon" thing started?

As a canadian I just don't get the whole "canadian bacon" thing. We know what bacon is. We call bacon, bacon. And call ham, ham. Anyone know where the "canadian bacon" thing started?

From the kitchenproject.com:

"Canadian Bacon probably got that name says because in the mid 1800’s there was shortage of pork in the United Kingdom and they imported the meat from Canada.

They would cure the backmeat in a special brine, which the Canadians call peameal bacon, because they would roll it in ground yellow split peas to help preserve it.

The English smoked it instead, and this new concotion was just referred to probably as Canadian Bacon. The Amreicans like it and brought it back to the states."

Makes sense... Most of it these days is rolled in cornmeal but we still call it peameal (at least where I am from). Fantastic fried to crispy edges on a bun with mustard... Mm.

Recipe if anyone is interested:

3 L water
1 C maple syrup
2/3 C kosher salt
2 T Prague powder #1 cure
10 peppercorns
1 T mustard seeds
1 bay leaf
2 kg boneless pork loin
1.5 C cornmeal or dried yellow split peas (if you use peas grind them in a food processor first till they resemble cornmeal)

Inject 1 C of the brine into the loin then submerge in the remainder for 4 days in the fridge. At this point dry it off and roll in the meal. Let it stand uncovered in the fridge for 1 more day and you're done.

Slice thin and fry hot till the edges get crispy.

Some source of sugar is usually used as well. Diastatic malt powder being the most indicated. Think Yeastie can speak to it better, but I believe he uses it, and he always gets great color and spring on his pies.

Some source of sugar is usually used as well. Diastatic malt powder being the most indicated. Think Yeastie can speak to it better, but I believe he uses it, and he always gets great color and spring on his pies.

Yeah I've had better success lately since adding some white sugar to encourage colour at home oven temps. I do want to try some DMP as well although both it and 00 are hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

I'm pretty happy with browning I get with 00 flour (example in thread), although my oven goes to 550.

I actually do a mix of 75% 00 flour and 25% high bromated bread flour (All Trumps). That, a long ferment (3 day), and a bit of sugar (I do 1.9% the weight of the flour) gives plenty of browning.

You mean back bacon?

As I understand it, bacon comes from the belly of the hog, ham comes from the hind leg, and back bacon comes from the loin. They're all usually some combination of cured, brined, and smoked.

Not sure how Canadians got to be associated with cured loin. How did residents of the U.S. get sole use of the term "American" when Canadians and Mexicans are also North Americans?

Piece-zza! 68% hydration. Haven't worked that hard stretching in a while. Also the first time I used polly-O, I see why people like it.Thanks to italarican for the tips on using shrimp. The second one is shrimp and roasted fennel. Everybody loved it...
Now let's argue about that name, "italarican"!

Happy to hear the shrimp worked well! Looks like you kept them whole, which I think I'll stick with.

The name? Dad was Italian, mom Puerto Rican. I didn't grow up in the most, um, diverse area, and got asked "what I was" a lot. Some kids called me that to remember, and I sort of wore it as a badge of honor.

Peace-zza! 68% hydration. Haven't worked that hard stretching in a while. Also the first time I used polly-O, I see why people like it.Thanks to italarican for the tips on using shrimp. The second one is shrimp and roasted fennel. Everybody loved it...
Now let's argue about that name, "italarican"!

This is so f..ing solid. Nice work. Can you help me? It seems like my pizzas always come out to White on the crust. If I don't use flour they stick to the peel. Do I brush the crust with olive oil? Thanks

I made some overnight dough. Didn't get too many good pictures cuz we were too busy stuffing our faces. I made pinwheels too. Rolled up like cinnamon rolls and cut. Used leftovers my Norm too. This time meatballs and strip steak. This is a picture of the pinwheel

View attachment 1488696741949.jpg

This is so f..ing solid. Nice work. Can you help me? It seems like my pizzas always come out to White on the crust. If I don't use flour they stick to the peel. Do I brush the crust with olive oil? Thanks

Thanks. I don't worry too much about the flour stuck to the crust. I'd rather avoid it but if it comes down to losing a pie during the launch or a cosmetic problem I'll deal with it. Those pies were crazy sticky, couldn't even ball the dough properly, dropped the balls into a bucket of a.p. flour, shook them off and stretched them.
If you don't like using a ton of bench flour you can try dropping your hydration a % at a time and see what works or par baking the skin will remove the moisture and get a spring, 30 seconds on your stone(steel, I should have said, I know you use a steel). You can sauce before the par bake to get a more uniform cornichione otherwise it will bubble all over.

Made two pies last night. One is a bbq chicken pizza, and the second is a sorta margherita pizza. The marg pizza has homemade red sauce, grilled chicken, mozz, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and fresh basil. Also sprinkled with fresh arugula microgreens on serving

View attachment 1489419638316.jpg

View attachment 1489419649460.jpg

Made two identical veggie pies. One with a high gluten flour and one with a regular bread flour. Bob's red mill (hg) vs. King Arthur(bread). The second pic is hg on the left bread flour on the right. Preferred the hg flour during mixing but after 3 days cold ferment they were pretty much identical and behave the same. The pictures suck but the crum was comparable.

View attachment 1490839177313.jpg

View attachment 1490839207722.jpg

Made a couple in deep dish pans at 450
Made some super wet dough, proofed for an hour, spread in the pans by hand and parbaked.
Homemade sauce with organic crushed tomatoes, roasted garlic, frozen basil from last year, olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne.
Regular cheese, don't be hating...
And a Chicago style mushroom and spinach
Used up the last couple Elmo plates from kids party last week too!

View attachment 1491225206700.jpg

View attachment 1491225228314.jpg

View attachment 1491225243989.jpg

Back