The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Razor thin tomatoes and garlic,olive oil and fresh basil.
This on some fresh mozzarella slices.
Makes an awesome Neapolitan.

Tried something different for me. Cooked it over a fire I made in my grill. Opened all my vents to keep the flame going. Next time I'd get it hotter and use less actual flames as it was uneven but it was pretty good.

Photo Aug 04, 5 45 29 PM.jpg

After spending a ton of time getting my crust where I want it, I realized I have totally neglected to work on my sauce at all. Do any of y'all have a good basic sauce recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?

Dough is the science, sauce is all art. Start with some unsalted crushed plum tomatoes and add salt, Italian spices, grate a clove of garlic, maybe some crushed red pepper, or some crushed calabrian peppers in oil, or there's a fermented red chili paste from Korea. Ground fennel seeds are nice. Anything goes just taste as you go and you can't go wrong.
Meaning, no, I don't have a recipe😯

Bought this today.

Did I waste my money, or did I make a good choice? Anyone else use one?
Can you tell me what your experience is with it?

Thanks.
These are pretty good as long as you are not trying to make a really stiff dough. The plastic gears are garbage. One batch of bagel dough killed mine.

These are pretty good as long as you are not trying to make a really stiff dough. The plastic gears are garbage. One batch of bagel dough killed mine.

Bagel and pasta dough always make the bowl pop out on my KitchenAid KP26M1XNP Professional 600 Series.

Thanks for the tip. I plan on mainly pizza dough and maybe trying some cookie recipes.

Have you used the meat grinder? I'm curious if it works well enough for that.

Thanks for the tip. I plan on mainly pizza dough and maybe trying some cookie recipes.

Have you used the meat grinder? I'm curious if it works well enough for that.

We have the meat grinder for our non-pro Kitchen Aid. It works well enough, but I wouldn't want to grind a very large quantity of meat.

We've done some chicken breasts, but never anything much more substantial than that. :)

Off topic, but another company sales an all metal meat grinder. Wish I had spend the extra on it. If you go plastic, Google "kitchen aid meat grinder mod"
There is an issue with the spacing on the grinder plates

I like replacementparts.com. All manner of small appliance parts, especially coffee makers. :ban:
I bought one of the first KA 600 pro and had a heck of a time with it.I sent it back and had a new one shipped under warranty. The second one didn't last long and KA would not offer a replacement.I took it apart and found the plastic gear housing was cracked and the brass gear was stripped out.I ended up replacing the the defective parts but now the mixer sits in the garage as we use the older 1990 version KA mixer.

Bought this today. I have seen it on cooking shows and it always looked liked it worked pretty good.
Making the dough (by hand) is my least favorite part.

Did I waste my money, or did I make a good choice? Anyone else use one?
Can you tell me what your experience is with it?

Thanks.

Good investment yes. Does this model have a dough hook, or worm? I had a classic model with a hook which worked great for bread dough it crapped out and rather than repair I got a 600 series model from Costco. It has more power and a bigger bowl, but the dough hook takes forever to incorporate ingredients, sigh. Also, be mindful to not exceed the recommended speed for dough( I think that could be part of the reason I wore mine out). Enjoy it!

I like replacementparts.com. All manner of small appliance parts, especially coffee makers. :ban:

Yes I was able to get a new kitcheaid worm gear tower for half the cost of just shipping the mixer for DX and repair... Though after i installed it it was still no go. Before ordering new brushes for the classic they don't even manufacture any more, I got a new model... Problem solved.:)

Good investment yes. Dose this model have a dough hook, or worm? I had a classic model with a hook which worked great for bread dough it crapped out and rather than repair I got a 600 series model from Costco. It has more power and a bigger bowl, but the dough hook takes forever to incorporate ingredients, sigh. Also, be mindful to not exceed the recommended speed for dough( I think that could be part of the reason I wore mine out). Enjoy it!

Yes, it has the dough hook.
It came with the dough hook, wire whip and a flat beater.

It's not a pro model. It's a 300 watt, "Ultra Power model".

And yes the directions say not to exceed more than 2 for making dough.

Good investment yes. Dose this model have a dough hook, or worm? I had a classic model with a hook which worked great for bread dough it crapped out and rather than repair I got a 600 series model from Costco. It has more power and a bigger bowl, but the dough hook takes forever to incorporate ingredients, sigh. Also, be mindful to not exceed the recommended speed for dough( I think that could be part of the reason I wore mine out). Enjoy it!

I have been very rough on mine and ALWAYS exceed the recommended speed for dough;) the only issue I have had is the head came loose, disassemble, clean, lube what needs it and locktite, reassembly.

I have been very rough on mine and ALWAYS exceed the recommended speed for dough;) the only issue I have had is the head came loose, disassemble, clean, lube what needs it and locktite, reassembly.

I hear you, after speaking with a rep, who felt it was likely the worm gear, which is made to fail, rather than letting worse damage happen, I watched a couple of how-to videos and decided to replace the tower (the full assemble only costing a little more than just the gear and saving a lot of time) it didn't run likely because the brushes were in wrong or wore out. Got a new one in time for holiday cooking.

I use Boboli pizza sauce. :(

I'll make a dough 3-4 days in advance, but too lazy to make pizza sauce. :eek:

ugh come on, its easier to make sauce than dough but without a good sauce your hard work on the crust is worthless, Im blessed because I grow tomatoes but a good sauce has lots of fresh garlic, sweet onions, good fresh spices, a little tart with a little celery and a slight hot side with some red pepper

View attachment 366083
Bulk ferment over. Balled 'em up a few minutes ago. Little soldiers lined up for a Sunday bake.

How much room temp rest are you doing? Any benefit to balling and then back to refrigeration? I bulk ferment fairly often, but usually don't ball until 2-4 hrs. before build, depending on the type of pie.
They do look perfect, nice work

The sooner you ball the easier it will open due to the gluten structure having more time to relax. At least that's been my experience. If using either IDY or ADY, I'll ball right after mixing and straight to the fridge. If using a natural sourdough starter, I'll bulk ferment at about 60 for at least 12 hrs, ball, then another 12 hrs @ 60. I use an old grocery store chest cooler with a temp controller. You can also use a cooler and frozen water bottles. Just takes a little practice.

After a couple months of crazy hot weather i'm ready to get back to making pizzas (next year will own an outdoor cooking device).

Tomorrow i'm going to do a slight modification on the no-knead recipe. Substituting 20% of the flour with semolina, and since i ran out of my usual KA AP i split the rest 50/50 with KA Bread and generic AP. Also dropping my yeast down to half what the recipe calls for since it has been rising too quickly.

Semolina goes a long way. 20% may turn out a bit stiff and it absorbs well too, it may change how the hydration level feels. But I know the famous no knead is pretty high so it may not matter...
Keep us posted, I'm interested.

Semolina goes a long way. 20% may turn out a bit stiff and it absorbs well too, it may change how the hydration level feels. But I know the famous no knead is pretty high so it may not matter...
Keep us posted, I'm interested.

My standard full knead recipe is 25% semolina (w/ 64.5% hydration) and is pretty supple once it has rested.

The two times i've made the no knead recipe before i found it to be too sticky and took a lot of bench flour to become safe to put on the peel. I'm mainly looking for a flavor augmentation here since i think the semolina really makes the dough flavor sing 'pizza' instead of 'bread'.

Expect i'll post results tomorrow.

Broken Pizza stone, that's two gone in the last couple of months. (UK)

The stones that I've broken, I treated them carefully, were just cheap disks of fired clay/earthen wear.

OK the stone only cost £3 n a bit that's $4 or $5 but buying one every second or third pizza is a nuisance.

1, Do I really need one?
2, What should I look for in a stone that will last?

Thanks All. Aamcle

The stones that I've broken, I treated them carefully, were just cheap disks of fired clay/earthen wear.

OK the stone only cost £3 n a bit that's $4 or $5 but buying one every second or third pizza is a nuisance.

1, Do I really need one?

Thanks All. Aamcle

I use a cookie sheet on my charcoal-fired kettle grill that is pre-heated for maybe 20 minutes before placing the pie on it.

1, Do I really need one?

Thanks All. Aamcle

Is it in the oven or on a grill? I have found that direct heat (grill or stove top) is too much for stone or clay.

In the oven even the cheapest last a long time.

Look for one that feels heavy. The denser it is, the less air bubbles, which means less chance for steam or rapid expansion. Make sense?

And be sure they're dry when you use them.

In the oven, I'll try a sheet but if I don't like it I'll look out for a denser stone.

Thanks. Aamcle

In the oven, I'll try a sheet but if I don't like it I'll look out for a denser stone.

I had 3 of the cheap ones split on me in a year before i dropped the coin on a better one.

I ended up buying one of these: https://bakingstone.com/shop/home_oven/

It's basically a fiberglass reinforced cement slab.

I got the 15x20" rectangle one. It weights about 20 lbs and takes an hour to preheat in the oven. I bought it 6 years ago and it's still working great.

Back