The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah no oil needed, but patting off the flour is always a good idea

Save the oil for focaccia :)

I didn't like semolina in pizza dough; too firm/dense of dough since its such a coarse grind. Use it in pasta dough.

I didn't like semolina in pizza dough; too firm/dense of dough since its such a coarse grind. Use it in pasta dough.

I don't use it in the dough. Only on the bench mixed with flour to open the dough. Like little ball bearings to launch it onto the stone.

Does anyone know how to calculate the sugar added to a dough formulation by using wort as your hydration? For instance if I were to add 100g. of a 1.040 wort can I simply convert that to 10˚ plato or brix for that matter. So I am adding 10g. of fermentable sugar? Seems like a big number. Supposing I were using 60% hydration for this example that would mean roughly 166g. flour and a sugar percentage of around 6%.
Am I missing something? I realize a hydrometer will give an indication of starting gravity for our purposes and without being able to take a final gravity we cannot account for non fermentable or extraneous dissolved solids but I know maltose would be easy for baker's yeast and I imagine it should have a profile more akin to lager than ale yeast in brewer's terms.
Any suggestions? This question got more complicated as soon as I started typing YIKES! sorry...

I have used 50% beer 50% water and simply eliminated the sugar. It turned out OK. There are numerous threads concerning this on the pizza forum but I quit reading once I found Lombardo's recipe. Cheers!

Was snacking on some Hummus with chips and thought a hummus pizza might be a good thing. Just use hummus in place of sauce and spread it out thin.

It would pair well with a variety of veggie options.

Bought this today. I have seen it on cooking shows and it always looked liked it worked pretty good.
Making the dough (by hand) is my least favorite part.

Did I waste my money, or did I make a good choice? Anyone else use one?
Can you tell me what your experience is with it?

Thanks.

th5U8RH3TQ.jpg

Bought this today. I have seen it on cooking shows and it always looked liked it worked pretty good.

Thanks.

I use mine for everything! It works great. I haven't used it a whole lot for dough yet, but good investment.

Thanks.
Put some yellow flames on that bad boy and get to dough making!! (Disclaimer, yellow flames not needed for KithhenAid mixer to be Bad A**) :D
We use ours for everything.

Thanks.

Put some yellow flames on that bad boy and get to dough making!! (Disclaimer, yellow flames not needed for KithhenAid mixer to be Bad A**) :D

We use ours for everything.

Like this?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470176456.650242.jpg
Yes it is bad ass, I use it all the time, I did get one of the bigger units and do not regret it a bit.

Quicky pie,View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470176602.908324.jpg

Thanks.

One of my favorite and most used kitchen tool. You will be very happy with it!

Thanks.

I don't think you will ever regret having that KA stand mixer! I love mine. I also love the attachments I have - pasta extruder, meat grinder, juicer, vegetable strainer (perfect for homemade marinara sauce), I do have the veggie slicer/shredder too but I hardly ever use that one. We grind all our own meat for sausages and hamburgers - I like knowing exactly what went into it!

They are a real kitchen workhorse and well worth the $$ in my humble opinion.

Ditto. Hard to believe you are even asking! Lol. Its awesome for dough. Fantastic for cakes. Makes great pasta with the attachments. Makes decent sausage with those attachments. Hell I drag it out even to whip cream. I assume you got at least the paddle, dough hook, and whisk with it. It's a must have for any kitchen.

Confession. I got a KA stand-up mixer as a present from my parents when I graduated from college, by choice.

I've made more pizza than anything else with it, but it's also been very useful for kneading sticky bread dough.

I also have quite a few attachments... meat grinder, juicer, pasta roller, ice cream maker (on 2nd one). None of them are spectacular but given the size, cost and quality consideration they are great.

Only complaint is I thought bigger was better so i got one of the big lift head (not tilt head) models. It's so big that it is really difficult to do reasonable size batches of anything. Minimum batch size for cookies is about 2x a typical tollhouse recipe, or 4 sticks of cream cheese for a cheesecake. I pretty much only use it for kneading dough or using the attachments because it sucks for everything else.

Thanks.

That's what I use, love it!

You can use it to churn butter from cream. Just make sure to shield the liquid from flying out the top of the bowl and splashing all over your table and laptop...

:(

I've done that! Except I don't have a KitchenAid. I have the Bosch Universal Plus with the 800w motor.

Thanks.

Dude, you have chosen wisely. Great investment.

Bread machine dough, meh. Used oil spread it in a pan way my mom used to. Would work pretty well actually to then throw on the peel. I didn't want to heat the oven up too much by running it at 550 for an hour, blowing away the house. Still got pretty hot and made a crappy Pizza. Hebrew national hot dogs and tomatoes and green peppers from the garden. Excuse the pepper cut was first time using my new electric slicer. Tomato cut is nice and thin

View attachment 1470273265906.jpg

View attachment 1470273279585.jpg

Bread machine dough, meh. Used oil spread it in a pan way my mom used to. Would work pretty well actually to then throw on the peel. I didn't want to heat the oven up too much by running it at 550 for an hour, blowing away the house. Still got pretty hot and made a crappy Pizza. Hebrew national hot dogs and tomatoes and green peppers from the garden. Excuse the pepper cut was first time using my new electric slicer. Tomato cut is nice and thin

Does not look crappy at all. Looks very good!

Well, I cooked up a Hummus pizza last night with diced tomatoes, diced Chicken Sausage, and some shredded italian cheeses. It wasn't bad, but most of the zing from the hummus was missing after cooking.

Well, I cooked up a Hummus pizza last night with diced tomatoes, diced Chicken Sausage, and some shredded italian cheeses. It wasn't bad, but most of the zing from the hummus was missing after cooking.

Very cool, would you do it again?

After spending a ton of time getting my crust where I want it, I realized I have totally neglected to work on my sauce at all. Do any of y'all have a good basic sauce recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?

Canned sauce is pretty good.

When I make sauce from scratch I use a can of stewed tomatoes, a small can of tomato paste, onions, garlic, and Italian spices like oregano and basil. Don't really have a recipe. Some brands of stewed tomatoes are sweeter than others, I prefer the not-so-sweet.

Some people just buy a can of imported Italian plum tomatoes. Drain them (but save the juice for something) and squish them up with your hands on the crust. That's it, just crushed canned tomatoes (not the same as canned crushed tomatoes)

Back