The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeastwood above says its way better than what you generally get at the grocery store. I have heard that from several people in different places and am ready to try it out. Obviously if you have tasty tomatoes and make it yourself its going to be pretty good. In Canada in the winter the fresh tomato selection is expensive and not super flavourful. I get a certain amount of jars of home canned tomatoes from my mother in law who is farm old school in Saskatchewan - those can't be beat - they are delicious out of the jar with a spoon
My 100% Italian grandmother used to make all that stuff from scratch and honestly, you can tell the difference. We are talking home made Ravioli, pasta's, pizza and sauces (both marinara and pesto). My wife found my grandmother's old recipe book when we were cleaning out the house after my grandfather passed and there is a pasta sauce recipe there that is better than anything you can get in the store. When she makes it, I wait until she is done and it is still hot, grab a few pieces of bread and chow down. LOL. Most store sauces are very sweet to me. I think they may sub out and use sugar when the other ingredients are not as flavorful. My wife grows tomatoes in the back yard, and is thinking of trying her hand at jarring them. In my opinion, and it isn't worth all that much, anything you can do from scratch or use as little "processed" ingredients you will end up with a much better product. Again, just my opinion. Rock On!!!!!!!

Your opinion does mean something to me and probably most people here. You're a very lucky man to have found your family (Italian) cookbook!

I love Italian food. I found an old cookbook that's full of great recipes I have tried but a family one would be much better. I'm German and Belgium, can't recall any good pizza sauces from my family!

Making a sauce from scratch is definitely better and really doesn't take much time. Considering folks go to great lengths to make a good dough, spending the time on a good sauce wound compliment the entire pizza.

Thanks for posting what I wanted to say about making a sauce as opposed to buying one!

So what's the difference with commercial pizza sauce and something from the store? Are we talking about restaurant pizza sauce?

I've seen the large cans in pizza restaurants before. I think finding a good recipe and making from tomato sauce is much better then you can tailor it to your liking.
This is more interesting than you would think.

First of all, commercial sauce is not sauce. It's tomato paste. The two big companies pack it with big basil leaves included. The label says "sauce," though. You're expected to dilute it at least 1:1. You could use it with just water added, but people usually add seasonings. I usually add a little sugar. Sometimes I add oregano. Believe it or not, a touch of white vinegar or rice wine vinegar can be nice. I add fresh or powdered garlic. I like plain old NYC pizza, and the joints that make it don't always use the fanciest ingredients, so garlic powder works for me. Some people add onions or onion powder.

Second: the companies that make sauce also pack whole and crushed tomatoes. You can mash them up and use them as sauce. You can mix them with the paste.

Third--and this comes from sauce makers who admittedly have an axe to grind--the stuff you get in grocery stores is generally heated, condensed, and shipped a long way to canneries. Commercial sauce people grow their own tomatoes and can them close to the fields. Also, I suppose it matters that grocery tomatoes are broad-spectrum, whereas the sauce companies know they're making a pizza ingredient.

The two big players are Stanislaus and Escalon. Stanislaus makes several kinds of paste with slight differences. I like Saporito, their super-heavy economy paste. I like it better than Full Red or Super Dolce, which are supposed to be fancier. Escalon's big sauce product is called Bonta.

There are some other companies. At least one is in New Jersey, which is supposedly known for good tomatoes that don't ship well. I haven't tried them all. Stanislaus and Escalon are not hard to find in my state.

Stanislaus puts citric acid in its tomatoes. Bonta doesn't. I believe the reasoning is that you have to cook tomatoes harder to preserve them without citric acid, and that, according to Stanislaus, is bad for the flavor. Citric acid adds a little zing, though, and some people don't like it. If you've eaten a lot of Stanislaus sauce without knowing it, and you've gotten used to it, you may think there is something wrong with Bonta. I like Stanislaus.

I get my sauce at Gordon Food Supply, which also has Grande cheese, at least in some locations. Grande East Coast blend (mozzarella) is very good. It's half part-skim and half actual cheese, so it doesn't burn and turn into vinyl as quickly as most part-skim. Grande doesn't put starch powder or wood cellulose on its shredded cheese, the way nearly every store brand does. I believe this powder turns cheese into a composite, like fiberglass. In any case, it seems to ruin the texture.

I have been told you can fix store cheese by rinsing the powder off. I haven't tried it. Sliced store cheese will be better from the start.

Grande sells some other types of cheese, and I believe they sell blocks, too.

Cheese freezes very well. Some people prefer it to fresh. I use vacuum bags.

You get a huge number of pizzas from each #10 can. I freeze the sauce. I pour it into big plastic bags, mash them kind of flat, and freeze. This gives me big, thin slabs that are easy to cut with a knife. To make sauce, I cut chunks off and weigh what I need out on a cheap Escalia gram scale. The sauce lasts for weeks this way without noticeable deterioration. It will eventually get moldy in the fridge.

Saporito is also great for things like baked ziti.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Clint!

Lots a great information and I'm glad you posted that. You're obviously a much better at typing than I'll ever be, but that's a different story.

Living in Wisconsin near several sources of great cheese I can appreciate your comments on added ingredients. I always forget about Gordon Foods, there's one not far from me.

Again thanks a bunch for all that great information!
You really surprise me!

Great!

If you're in Wisconsin, maybe you know Grande already.
I wasn't aware of Grande but looked them up and a couple nearby that sell their mozzarella. I'll give it a try.

There's so many cheese places around here it's hard to figure out which to try. Come summer I'll venture out to more and explore the smaller local places.

Where the heck does one find brick cheese (the stuff people swear by for Detroit style pizza)? I'm told "in Wisconsin", but I've been in Wisconsin a lot and can't recall seeing it anywhere.

Where the heck does one find brick cheese (the stuff people swear by for Detroit style pizza)? I'm told "in Wisconsin", but I've been in Wisconsin a lot and can't recall seeing it anywhere.
I see it at several places near me. One in particular, Simon's Cheese between Appleton and Green Bay has aged and regular brick cheese.

What parts of Wisconsin have looked? Before your next adventure perhaps search " brick cheese" and see what comes up. There's many specialty cheese shops that might have what you're looking for.

Try looking here for locations:

https://www.wisconsincheese.com/find-cheese/ch/8/brick

Last edited:
I guess I should have looked harder when I was at Woodman's last week.

Screenshot_20240122-094349~2.png

Well, maybe I'll get there in a month or so.

Last edited:
Looks very delicious!

Your pizza steel is just that pan? I've been reading on pizza stones, pizza steels and the advantages of which is better.
No the steel it was cooked on its 1/4 inches thick and heavy. I heat the oven with the steel in it to 230C for 30 minutes and then with a paddle slide the pizza onto. Once cooked use the paddle to remove. I leave the steel in the oven until the next day. I then remove it and dry clean it. I had a pizza stone which was useless, the steel is great and a game changer.

No the steel it was cooked on its 1/4 inches thick and heavy. I heat the oven with the steel in it to 230C for 30 minutes and then with a paddle slide the pizza onto. Once cooked use the paddle to remove. I leave the steel in the oven until the next day. I then remove it and dry clean it. I had a pizza stone which was useless, the steel is great and a game changer.
That's what I was hoping to hear! I have a stone but I'm thinking of getting a steel. I a couple pinned in Amazon but I also saw where I can buy a pre cut piece of steel. I'd need to descale and season it, but no big deal.

Did you purposely buy a pizza steel or make one from steel plate?

That's what I was hoping to hear! I have a stone but I'm thinking of getting a steel. I a couple pinned in Amazon but I also saw where I can buy a pre cut piece of steel. I'd need to descale and season it, but no big deal.

Did you purposely buy a pizza steel or make one from steel plate?
My son bought me the steel for my birthday.

If you have an angle grinder, just go to a metal supplier. They generally cut to size for no charge. Round the corners and take off the burrs, and you're all set. I also seasoned mine to reduce rust.

The stone is still useful, though.
We were having building work done and had a skip, the pizza stone was the first item in it. 😀

I had one of those and gave it away, but the friend I gave it to likes it.

My steel is 1/4" thick. Some people say you have to go at least 3/8", but my steel holds more than enough heat to burn a pizza if I don't watch it.

It's no good for crisping up the bottom of a pan pizza. The oil burns immediately and sets off the smoke alarm. The stone is great for this purpose.

I do not oil the steel. I seasoned the steel when new then use semolina on the paddle to allow the pizza to slide. I heat the steel in a 240C oven and no smoking occurs. The pizza base crisps fine as you don’t want a soggy bottom. 😂
I don’t clean the steel with water just a dry cloth or kitchen paper.

I do not oil the steel. I seasoned the steel when new then use semolina on the paddle to allow the pizza to slide. I heat the steel in a 240C oven and no smoking occurs. The pizza base crisps fine as you don’t want a soggy bottom. 😂
Soggy bottoms are not good.

I don't oil the steel on purpose, but when you set an oily pan pizza on it...

I have a Lodge, and I love it. On the Weber, it'll get to 500F, and retain the heat while I load the pizza onto it. The oven may go up to 500F, but I only run it at 450F when making pizza. It takes a few minutes more in the oven. In the winter, the Weber has a tough time staying at 500F, so I just do it in the oven. And it beats standing out in 15F temps.

Last nights Ruben pizza:
IMG_1665.jpeg

I think cast iron would work well as a steel. The one issue would be if you were using a cast iron frying pan in the oven or on a gas grill like a stone or a steel it would likely be less convenient to get pies onto and off of. I also use cornmeal or semolina on the slide pretty generously to help the pizza slide off onto the stone. A lot of it gets on the stone. When I slide a pie off the stone i push the cornmeal off the stone because it just gets burnt by the time another pie is put on the stone, which isn't the best flavour.
I agree steels transfer heat more efficiently than stones (generally, I don't want to get into an argument about it) but for me its sort of a system. I want the stone to crisp the crust at the same time the heat above the stone in the oven (actually gas grill) melts and browns the top.
Its about heat transfer in the stone in a relationship with how much heat gets past the stone to cook the top. Right now I have a decent setup, I could probably speed things up in my grill that has limited heat by going to a steel and figuring out baffles to let more heat through/around to cook the top, but that would require tuning/ experimenting, and it works quite well now so I am not motivated enough.

I have a cast iron pan that I have used for Pan pizza where you start it on the stovetop and finish under the broiler. It works really well for that. That is nice pizza too, but a different sort of thing then I am making at high temps on a stone. For Pan Pizza I use all purpose flour.

The whole thing is how much time and money you want to invest, just like brewing beer. Find a method that works then try subtle changes that might make process easier with better results.

A darn good pizza can be made in the kitchen oven on a simple pan, just like good beer fermented in a plastic bucket.

I like reading what others are doing and what tools and ingredients they are using. Just like brewing.

I've considered getting a cast iron pizza pan. I have mixed feelings about cast iron, though. I loathe hand washing dishes. If I was to buy a cast iron pan for pizza, it would be have to be exclusively for pizza. I don't want a unitasker, I also don't want to tell my better half "hey, this expensive pan that's going to take up a bunch of space in the kitchen, don't use it for the plethora of other things you make!".

I have a cast iron flat pan I could use for pizza but I bought it for making naan bread and other flat breads. I also use it for burgers. I'm sure I used it once for some mini pizza. It's a Lodge brand with dual handles.

I like cast iron and don't mind hand cleaning them. It's really not that much work when they are seasoned properly.

I have a cast iron flat pan I could use for pizza but I bought it for making naan bread and other flat breads. I also use it for burgers. I'm sure I used it once for some mini pizza. It's a Lodge brand with dual handles.

I like cast iron and don't mind hand cleaning them. It's really not that much work when they are seasoned properly.
Agreed. I've had my cast iron pan for going on 30 years now, and it's undoubtedly the easiest pan to clean of all our cookware.

Makes a really nice pan pizza as well...

IMG_2719.jpg

I have a cast iron pan which I used to make pizza between throwing the pizza stone in the skip and getting a steel.
So you prefer the steel over the cast iron pan?

I'm just back from Wal-Mart, looked at the Lodge pizza pan. Fifteen inch diameter, two handles, flat and heavy, 40 bucks. It didn't make it into my cart . . yet.

My wife scrubbed my Griswold griddle with Dawn last week.
Time to reseason. When I acquired my Griswold chicken frier, it hadn't been used in a long time. I scrubbed it back to the bare metal, then coated it with vegetable oil and put it on the grill on high. I repeated that twice, just to make sure it's seasoned well. I use that pan way more than the Lodge skillet, since it's deeper.

So you prefer the steel over the cast iron pan?

I'm just back from Wal-Mart, looked at the Lodge pizza pan. Fifteen inch diameter, two handles, flat and heavy, 40 bucks. It didn't make it into my cart . . yet.
Yes the cast iron pan was ok but limited the pizza size, much prefer the steel.

Learned a lesson recently. Wanted to make a bubbly dough pizza using AP flour. SWMBO bought bleached White Lily AP flour because it was a BOGO at the Publix., it was all we had on hand. While it did make a pizza, the results were really depressing, no gluten development and didn't even brown. The whitest flour I've ever seen. I'm sure it's fine for biscuits, just not pizza... Never again...

Latest posts

Back