The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To my Yooper brothers and sisters out there - Cudighi Pizza!

Homemade dough and sauce, Wisconsin cheese of course.

Attachments

• Cudighi Pizza_06aug2023.jpg
    Cudighi Pizza_06aug2023.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
My homemade pizza, with Nduja, tomato sauce made with my tomatoes and mozzarella.View attachment 829719
Mdujia sausage?

I had to look that up, I have not heard of that before but it sounds really tasty! I'll have to see if I can find it or possibly find a recipe to try making some.

I do make my own sweet Italian sausage.

Nduja is a Calabrian spiced pork in a jar or vacuum sealed. Hot and spicy. We have a holiday flat in Calabria so learned about it there.
I looked it up after reading your post and it looks very yummy and there's a place in Chicago that makes. Might be able to find it around here.

Looks more detailed to make so I'll skip that. Anything made from pork is great!

What a strange mixture of toppings . . That's what I love about pizza, it can be whatever your heart desires, or someone else's!
We tend to use pizzas to burn up leftovers or stuff in the fridge that is starting to be on the edge. We end up with some creative pizzas but more often than not they turn out excellent.

Rubin pizza. I'm still trying to perfect my sour dough recipe, but I really screwed it up by using 50% rye flour. It was tasty, but didn't hold up at all.

View attachment 830769
10% rye I find provides noticeable extra flavor without harming the dough structure.

No pictures - I made three pizzas for my family while visiting Florida. Brought down some Cudighi and picked up pepperoni down there.

I was down there for my mom's 100 birthday and made pizza for her after two days of other celebrations. My mom loves pizza and I learned so much off my appreciation from her.

Great trip, but glad to be home.

I had a bunch of tomatoes from the garden, I was thinking of making spaghetti sauce, but I decided to make pizza sauce. I now have 32 half pint jars of pizza sauce. I see lots of pizzas in my future.
Pizza sauce is dual purpose, makes good spaghetti sauce too!

Have a supply on hand has a sense if security.

I got a Chefman Home Slice electric pizza oven for Christmas! WOOWOO!
It does 800F, with independent top and bottom temp settings (can't be more than 200f apart) So far we made two respectable Napoli-style pies, and a few pan-baked Chicago thin-crust style pizzas, still working out the kinks :)
This thing gets excellent press over at Pizzamaking.com, and those guys are hard to please.

You can get it on Aliexpress for $246. Assuming it really is a Chefman.

This thing gets excellent press over at Pizzamaking.com, and those guys are hard to please.

You can get it on Aliexpress for $246. Assuming it really is a Chefman.
Hey, I'm on pizzamaking.com, I made sure to research it there before making the purchase. I'm in the process of testing out different pans in it for firing Chicago thin crust pizzas; aluminum isn't giving me the texture I'm looking for, and I cant find bare carbon steel pizza pans, so I'm going to buy a 12" paella pan and remove the handles 😀

I feel a little dirty, but I have been thinking about getting a pan for Detroit or Chicago style pizza (I don't see the big difference).

I think such a pizza would work well for days when I'm making pizza on short notice. The doughs I have been making all call for a 12+ hour preferment, and then another night in the fridge after the dough is assembled. I really enjoy that long fermented dough/crust, but some days I just find myself wanting a pizza without having already started pizza dough a day or two earlier.

I get great results with Sicilian in aluminum quarter-sheets, but I have a cheat in case I screw it up, because sometimes I underestimate the amount of time a pizza needs.

I put a stone in the oven, and when I take the pie out, I set it on the stone for about 90 seconds. I bought the expensive steel wire-framed pans, and they made very poor Sicilian. I don't use a steel for this. Fat from thick pizzas has a way of running off steels and creating a lot of smoke.

04 07 22 sicilian with sausage underside small.jpg

Hey Kent, I found an interesting way to get flavorful dough in one day. I take out 1/2 of the yeast and add 5 oz of plain greek yogurt to the poolish. Let that ferment till double in size,it will puff up. Make the dough for the batch ferment,when double in size make individual balls and ferment in cool place till ready for the pan. It's kinda like Naan,very bubbly with a slight tang.

Latest posts

Back