The guy at the LHBS got pissed-off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel fortunate to have the lhbs here in Vancouver Wa.
Bader beer and wine supplies. I havent had to substitute anything or need to special order anything yet.

is Bader the best in Vancouver? I have been googling and according to yelp every shop around here or in portland sucks or has bad hours, Bader supposedly has poor selection and old stock, and a know it all shopkeeper, I so far have not spent a single dime on hombrewing but live 5 minutes tops from Bader, and was considering purchasing stuff to do a 5 gallon batch of something or other :p once I figure out what the something or other is.

is Bader the best in Vancouver? I have been googling and according to yelp every shop around here or in portland sucks or has bad hours, Bader supposedly has poor selection and old stock, and a know it all shopkeeper, I so far have not spent a single dime on hombrewing but live 5 minutes tops from Bader, and was considering purchasing stuff to do a 5 gallon batch of something or other :p once I figure out what the something or other is.

I love it there. They're all nice and helpful and Steve has responded to every email I've sent him within 24 or so hours.
The only thing I suggest is don't try the soda they have in their kegerator lol.

I have only ever been to one LHBS...Original Gravity in Richmond. It gets all my brewing business because the owner is totally cool. He will give his opinion when asked, but lets people do their thing if they know what they are doing.

I take him beers to try and he gives me his honest feedback. That alone is worth paying an extra couple bucks on supplies.

EDIT: If my local shop wasnt so cool, I would totally buy online.

Unfortunately, the guy who runs our local shop is one of those that looks at you like an idiot if you ask pretty much any question and barks out short answers if you get any answer at all.

Also, he got into a whizzing contest a couple of years ago with the large local brew club that's been around since the 80's when they started giving out cash prizes at events instead of gift certificates to his store, so he took his toys and went and started his own brewclub. And then sent out an email to the entire mailing list announcing the new club, only to then send an "oops, my bad, didn't mean to send this to this list." Yeah, sure you didn't buddy.

His prices are high, the shop is dirty, and to top it off, when I was in there last week getting what I hope will be my last grain orders from him, all the hops are now sitting in the back on shelves NOT in temperature control. I will say that I am sure it is not fun as a small business owner trying to compete with the internet, and I would happily give him the bulk of my business if he just didn't have such a nasty attitude about the whole thing. However, he does, so I'm buying a mill, have already been buying hops in bulk, and am fixing to try to arrange for a couple of group grain buys around here through a local brewery. If you can't compete in price and inventory, you better be able to compete in customer service and attitude, or you don't deserve my money.

I've never understood why LHBS should have trouble competing with the internet...

grain is HEAVY and expensive to ship. carboys are BULKY and expensive to ship. good customer service that answers questions about a fairly technical hobby is VERY important. it should NOT be hard to carve out a niche local business in this sphere.

For me, the only attitude i've gotten from any brewstore owner was from the internet site morebeer when I asked if they double-crushed ("no, it introduces tannins and makes worse beer, instead you should buy more grain" they said)

Did you shop in Omaha, NE? :mad:
Fermenter's Supply?

I live just over 2 hours from Omaha, and to date, Fermenter's Supply and Cornhusker Beverage have been my closest options for a "L"HBS. Read enough horror stories about Fermenter's Supply that I've never set foot inside. Been to Cornhusker several times, and found them extremely helpful (and overly chatty - both times it took 5-10 minutes to get out of the store AFTER I had checked out)

For me, the only attitude i've gotten from any brewstore owner was from the internet site morebeer when I asked if they double-crushed ("no, it introduces tannins and makes worse beer, instead you should buy more grain" they said)

Hah, another reason I am buying a mill is I have been getting about 55% efficiency batch sparging with the crush I get on the guy's mill. I asked him what he was using last time I was in there and he told me "an old Schmidling, but I need to get a new one because its in terrible shape." Yes, yes it is, but I don't think that hurts your feelings if I have to buy more from you to make my beer.

Love my local homebrew shop. Helpful, friendly, ton's of supplies on hand, competitive pricing (unless you're buying in bulk). Even has various craft beers on tap for tasting. Think he is planning to start providing his own beer on tap for tasting too. Chicago Brew Werks in Plainfield.

I think the fundamental problem with hostile LHBS owners/employees (we have one here in Virginia Beach) is that they get into the business because they love beer, not because they desire to run a courteous, professional retail store that happens to sell beer.

It would be better to have someone friendly, yet not as knowledgeable working the store than a prick who's an expert in the field.

It's a common problem I've experienced at many types of specialty shops. There's a cigar shop I go to locally where the owner gets exasperated if you try to engage him in a conversation about cigars. The other day I was asking him about the differences between a montecristo no.2 and an eagle other than size and shape. He told me that unless I wanted to buy both and try them, I should just go buy some swisher sweets at 7-11.

He told me that unless I wanted to buy both and try them, I should just go buy some swisher sweets at 7-11.

Are you for real? I understand the objective is to make money when running a business, but I can think of a million ways to be more friendly and probably still have you walking out the door with both cigars. Fvckin' people, man. Just because you're an expert doesn't mean everyone who walks in your store is, too.

Fermenter's Supply?

I live just over 2 hours from Omaha, and to date, Fermenter's Supply and Cornhusker Beverage have been my closest options for a "L"HBS. Read enough horror stories about Fermenter's Supply that I've never set foot inside. Been to Cornhusker several times, and found them extremely helpful (and overly chatty - both times it took 5-10 minutes to get out of the store AFTER I had checked out)

*checks Google Maps to see where Sac City, IA is*

Looks like you are almost as close to Des Moines...perhaps there's a decent LHBS there? I also heard that a new one opened up in Sioux Falls, that might be within a few hours drive for you.

Have you tried Weak knee in Pottstown? I know it's a bit of a drive, but they have always been good to me. The one on Gregg St. is almost useless except for some caps, or a pack of dry yeast once in a while.
I TOTALLY agree with you about the one on Gregg St. He has yeast and extract that's at least a year past it's expiration date. Nothing fresh there. I have always purchased my bulk grain from Weak Knee and they were nice enough, but they're not very good at communicating. I'm on their mailing list and Facebook page yet, when they went to 'summer hours' I didn't get the memo and drove all the way there to a closed store. Maybe I missed it. I don't know. Anyway, all is well again because Morebeer has a facility on the east coast with one day free shipping to me...and their prices are better than Weak Knee.

My lhbs is a place called brewityourself. Ray the long haired guy who runs it at first seems to be a real a$$ but after a while he opens up to you and is a real good guy. I feel he probably gets tired of the same old questions over and over. His prices are real good, they are right there with the internet guys maybe ever a little cheaper. My last order for a big blonde ended up at less than $40. for a 10 gal all grain recipe.

Funny thing is I run a small a/c business myself and we do real well because I bend over backwards for my customers. Everyone has my cell number and I take care of any problems right away. Its not rocket science treat people like kings and they will flock to your door. Treat them like **** and they will stay away in droves.

I love my lhbs. Plenty of times they've answered my ridiculous questions with a straight face and pointed me in the right direction. One of only a few local shops, and the shelves are usually well stocked and it's fresh. They're usually pretty busy, amd occasionally some homebrews are consumed while having some conversation... and they don't mind the kiddos coming in with me! Only disappointment was when they only had ale pales instead of true brew buckets... Grain milling is like 5 cents per pound, so not a big deal to me as it's usually just specialty grains fwiw.

I live in Omaha and can only attest for Cornhusker. They are very helpfull albeit a bit chatty at times if you talk with the owner. I have never been to the other LHBS here in town, but i hear the guy is a jerk from multiple sources.

I TOTALLY agree with you about the one on Gregg St. He has yeast and extract that's at least a year past it's expiration date. Nothing fresh there. I have always purchased my bulk grain from Weak Knee and they were nice enough, but they're not very good at communicating. I'm on their mailing list and Facebook page yet, when they went to 'summer hours' I didn't get the memo and drove all the way there to a closed store. Maybe I missed it. I don't know. Anyway, all is well again because Morebeer has a facility on the east coast with one day free shipping to me...and their prices are better than Weak Knee.

Humm...might have to check out Morebeer. I've never really liked on line ordering for grain, yeast, and such but with 1 day free shipping that might change my mind. Thanks for the heads up:rockin:

*checks Google Maps to see where Sac City, IA is*

Looks like you are almost as close to Des Moines...perhaps there's a decent LHBS there? I also heard that a new one opened up in Sioux Falls, that might be within a few hours drive for you.
Omaha, Des Moines, and Sioux Falls are all around a two hour drive -- the difference is, my sister lives in Omaha, so I get down that way about once a month or so. Sioux Falls is a 2-3 times a year pass-through, and Des Moines, I might get to once a year.

Frige said:
My lhbs is a place called brewityourself. Ray the long haired guy who runs it at first seems to be a real a$$ but after a while he opens up to you and is a real good guy. I feel he probably gets tired of the same old questions over and over. His prices are real good, they are right there with the internet guys maybe ever a little cheaper. My last order for a big blonde ended up at less than $40. for a 10 gal all grain recipe.

That's where I've been going for years. Ray is a good guy and he keeps a good stock of ingredients. And his prices are the best out of the HBS in the Houston area that I've been to.
I've never had a problem with him. So I give him my business except on the rare occasion I order something online because of a sale/special offer.

My LHBS is run by 2 younger guys (30s) and an older (40-50s) guy. If I stop by and either of the younger guys are in, I get enthusiastic help and actually just enjoy hanging out and chatting. They know their stuff and they give me the straight scoop on whether something is better than something else. They are all about brewing being fun. I stop by even when I don't need anything, just to check stuff out, but I invariably buy something while I am hanging around.

The older guy can't be bothered. Not snobby, but grim. I could see him as a funeral director. The LHBS seems quieter and dustier when he is there. I get my stuff, keep my mouth shut, and leave ASAP. I suspect he is a wine guy.

Prices are pretty much competitive with online stores considering shipping. I like having a LHBS to check stuff out, and I like to throw them my business. I've ordered stuff from NB and others and have no complaints about them, but there is just something about a nice little old LHBS shop.

I like my LHBS. I went in this past weekend and pestered a guy about the in's and out's of kegging and he answered all my questions, even though I told him right off the bat I wasn't buying today, just curious.

Professional courtesy--and courtesy in general--is becoming even more of an important trait now than ever. As most have said, the current trend is for people to be snotty and self-important. A lot of people would just say, "Well, that's the way it is in the world today," like that's an excuse to act like an arse. The people who make an effort to be nice even when they don't have to (because who expects it anymore?) are the people who keep business.

Yeah, I'll go out of my way to buy from a friendly store. They deserve it, they put in the effort, if all I can do is try to help them keep a job, then I'll do it.

My lbs is about an 80 mile round trip and shop hours don't line up well with my work schedule so I only make it up there once every few months. I can get extracts, yeast and hops at the local Friar Tuck but I refuse to pay what they want for grains. I come out ahead price wise at 20 pounds of 2 row from the lhbs plus the gas for my truck to make the run. The shop owner has been great to work with, is patient and helpful with my questions. He will also take phone or email orders and have everything ready when I get there.

Where's the new one? I'm going to guess (cause you live in Glendale) that the 40 min drive is to woodland hills?

Correct - the "new" one is Eagle Rock and the other one is Home Beer wine and cheese shop in woodland hills. It's kind of a trek to go to all the way there when another shop is 5 minutes away but every time I go to eagle rock, I feel like an a-hole for giving them my business.

Patirck said:
Correct - the "new" one is Eagle Rock and the other one is Home Beer wine and cheese shop in woodland hills. It's kind of a trek to go to all the way there when another shop is 5 minutes away but every time I go to eagle rock, I feel like an a-hole for giving them my business.

Ya. I figured. I've been going to HBWC for a quite a few years now. Seans a good guy. Kent is too. Nancy is always sweet. Lately it's been a couple members o the club at the shop helping out. Great group of people.

There are three LHBSs in my city. One of them I love, but it's the furthest. I the next one I am impartial to (the owner is nice but he never seems to know what the prices for things are off the top of his head, so he has to go check all the time.), and the one closest to me is WAY too expensive! I understand you have to pay the bills somehow, and running a homebrew store isn't really the most lucrative business, but $6.50 for a packet of US-04? Come on...his 1 oz hop packets are $3.50 for common stuff like Cascade. And $5 for more rare varieties like Citra.

Anyway, I was in the latter store yesterday, looking around, and the owner is pretty knowledgeable, but kind of stuck up. Guess I'll be driving 40 mins to go to my favorite one.

Homebrewer problems.

That is a lil pricey. JW Dover charges $3.75 for dry yeast,$6.50 for liquid. I got hops on sale for $2.00 or less. They have a goodly amount of simcoe,citra,& mosaic too. I'm gunna go back for the citra & simcoe,since I didn't make up my mind till I was almost home. All Hop Union too. Whole leafe & pellet,depending on the type. Mosaic,simcoe & citra have been hard to track down lately. Cool that Dover came through.:ban:
I'm gunna rebrew my Maori IPA & another,new version of my "house" IPA to give it a moniker.

Fermenter's Supply?

And that is a bad thing? I enjoy talking homebrew, so I enjoy the whole local hardware store shooting the sh*t mentality of a shop.

My LHBS just doubled in size. It seems there is some animosity against the owner, but I have found that with an extra visit or two I like all of the guys behind the counter. Speaking of which, I think I am in for a trip today so I can brew tomorrow or Sat. Hmmm... Wheat beer or a well balanced DIPA?

Do what I did & brew the wheat beer AND the DIPA. Why bother choosing one or the other when you can have both?!:ban: And when I stopped at the lhbs while errand running,it was like 90F,& my wife reminded me not to stand around chatting about beer while I was in there. It was indeed too hot for that,but still worked in a short conversation.

And that is a bad thing? I enjoy talking homebrew, so I enjoy the whole local hardware store shooting the sh*t mentality of a shop.

My LHBS just doubled in size. It seems there is some animosity against the owner, but I have found that with an extra visit or two I like all of the guys behind the counter. Speaking of which, I think I am in for a trip today so I can brew tomorrow or Sat. Hmmm... Wheat beer or a well balanced DIPA?
No, not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but when you're running short of time and have to drive a half hour across town to get back in time for supper, you don't always want to get caught discussing a brew he did 5 years ago. If I've got time, I have no problem standing around shooting the bull - it's how we learn.

These stories just make me appreciate my LHBS all the more.

I do make it a point to go when I know the owner is there but that is because if I have questions he is the only one who can answer them.

They have been great about taking old gear I don't need on consignment and giving me store credit for it. Another bonus is that they will custom build pieces. Living in a small condo makes this a lifesaver.

Arristillius said:

Bader's is the only brew shop in Vancouver. The absolute best in the area is Brew Brothers in Hillsboro. Bit of a drive from Vancouver, but prices/stock can't be beat, even by Internet stores. I try to go there as much as possible.

Everyone at Bader's is very nice and helpful and Steve is wonderful to the brewing community. But he's charging way too much. What he charges for an oz of hops gets you 2 oz at Brew Bros. Brew Bros charges $.25/ft for beer line, $.99/ft at Bader's.

Oh and to add to my other post, I asked what he had in regards to a fermentation chamber because the summer makes my closet way too warm, to which he said "oh I wouldn't even bother with one of those. Too much work. Just brew a Belgian or saison." He then directed me to the (overpriced) Belgian/saison kits. Lame.

Sad that for such a small market many destroy their clientele. I jut went to my lbhs to buy presentation bottles. I ordered a case of 26 oz ez caps, paid for them and he hands me a case of generic flip tops that aren't ez caps, they didn't have ez caps. When I ask for a refund as I wanted the ez cap style the guy freaks out and yells "Oh come on, just because they aren't the same style?!?".

Back to northern brewer, better prices and far better service.

Love my local homebrew shop. Helpful, friendly, ton's of supplies on hand, competitive pricing (unless you're buying in bulk). Even has various craft beers on tap for tasting. Think he is planning to start providing his own beer on tap for tasting too. Chicago Brew Werks in Plainfield.

Best danged brew shop I've ever been in. I bought four hops plants there this year and will be giving them nearly all my business.

Eugenio said:
Sad that for such a small market many destroy their clientele. I jut went to my lbhs to buy presentation bottles. I ordered a case of 26 oz ez caps, paid for them and he hands me a case of generic flip tops that aren't ez caps, they didn't have ez caps. When I ask for a refund as I wanted the ez cap style the guy freaks out and yells "Oh come on, just because they aren't the same style?!?".

Back to northern brewer, better prices and far better service.

Random question, why did you only want ez caps? Whats wrong with generic flip tops?

nicklepickles said:
Random question, why did you only want ez caps? Whats wrong with generic flip tops?

Comes with my career, I care about presentation. I like the style of ez caps better, as well as my bottles are already that style and I want them to match.

Eugenio said:
Comes with my career, I care about presentation. I like the style of ez caps better, as well as my bottles are already that style and I want them to match.

Ah, well fair enough, to each their own

To the original post. Autoclave-able vials are not something most LHBS's are going to have in stock! His response was strange though.

I work in a big box home improvement retail store (you can guess which) and it amazes me that some people get so upset when you tell them the store does not carry the product or brand they are looking for. Especially when they are looking for something totally unrelated to home improvement. Like car parts???

Latest posts

Back