The eternal secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyforger

Reaction score
So I brewed a British ESB back in late September. Overall went great. Racked into secondary after about 10 days; bubbling was very slow at that point and stopped a short while later. Given the high gravity at that point, I suspected a stuck fermentation and so added some yeast nutrient and agitated the vessel, and sure enough it began bubbling.

And bubbling.

And bubbling.

Very.

Very.

Slowly.

I expected 2 - 3 weeks in secondary. We're now at about five, with no signs of slowing. SG is at 1.019, and has been there for at least the past 10 days, when I last measured. Expected FG is 16-17. Temperature is 67 deg F.

What do y'all think? I've made this beer before, virtually identical, and bottled it when it stopped bubbling - which it did at about 1.019 - and got bottle gushers. I'd prefer to avoid that this time, but it really doesn't look like the gravity is gonna budge. Should I just bottle, maybe with a light portion of priming sugar?

Fist, don't take your beer off the yeast cake until it's done fermenting (obviously too late now). Second, you need to wait until fermentation finishes before bottling. Make sure you are checking the gravity with a hydrometer. Ensure the gravity reading is constant for at least 3 days before bottling, that way you don't have bottle bombs.

Oh, I should add: the bottles from the previous batch only began to gush after some time in the bottle - perhaps two months. I'm using WL002 English Ale yeast (Before I used the Wyeast equivalent, which is allegedly the same strain).

Unless it's infected, I'd guess it has been done for a while.

If it was infected, it would likely be below your expected FG. Me, I'd be bottling if the gravity didn't change for a few days.

BTW, every time I open my chest freezer I get a little bubbling from my carboys. I think opening it pulls the pressure a little lower in there and some of the CO2 makes a break for it.

Maybe you should raise the temp up to 75 for a couple of days and let the yeast finish, if it needs to.

Ichthy: Thanks, I almost certainly racked too early. I suspect that's my problem. I have been watching the gravity, and it's not budging - hasn't for at least 10 days. But the bubbles aren't subsiding, and I'm not reaching target gravity. And the previous gusher batch did take a long time to develop overcarbonation, so I'm kind of second-guessing the hydrometer here...

Thanks passedpawn, I think I'll try to raise the temp like you said. If nothing happens, I'll just bottle. Still plan on using less priming sugar based on past experience though...

If the gravity isn't changing the beer is likely just off-gassing. Has the temp been fluctuating or warming up? that would cause CO2 to release.

You would be good, as passedpawn suggested, to warm the fermenter for a couple days and check gravity again. If it stays, go ahead and bottle. If not, just wait 'er out.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone!

I'm beginning to question the utility of secondaries entirely. But should an extended primary take place in plastic pails, or should I just start in a carboy if I skip it?

Sorry if I'm asking questions as eternal as my secondary....

You can primary in plastic pails just fine. And secondaries are useless unless you're doing an addition or dry hopping

Back